Learning your hair: what would you say is your biggest issue?

CaraWalker

mine would be maintaining softness in between shampoos. my hair gets stiff and dry very easily it seems and i dont know how to regularly combat this. i have also learned that frequent shampooing (and accompanying detangling) is too much manipulation for my fine strands. so i can't just wet it again to make the dryness go away - i also start losing a lot of broken off ends that way. so i just keep it bunned all week and shampoo again on friday or saturday :(

Rnjones

How to manage new growth during stretches but it's getting easier each go around

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using LHCF

koolkittychick

Dryness. Just. Dryness. Especially at my roots and ends, which need different things to deal with the dryness, especially deep into a stretch. :ohwell: It can be quite the pain, especially when I'm feeling lazy. In fact, my coworkers know when I don't want to deal with my hair when they see me coming in with a hat on for days on end because I. Just. Can't. :nono:

emada

mine would be maintaining softness in between shampoos. my hair gets stiff and dry very easily it seems and i dont know how to regularly combat this. i have also learned that frequent shampooing (and accompanying detangling) is too much manipulation for my fine strands. so i can't just wet it again to make the dryness go away - i also start losing a lot of broken off ends that way. so i just keep it bunned all week and shampoo again on friday or saturday :(

Dryness. Just. Dryness. Especially at my roots and ends, which need different things to deal with the dryness, especially deep into a stretch. :ohwell: It can be quite the pain, especially when I'm feeling lazy. In fact, my coworkers know when I don't want to deal with my hair when they see me coming in with a hat on for days on end because I. Just. Can't. :nono:

All of this. Even now that I wash more often and have better DCs, after a few days my hair gives up the ghost :nono:

CaraWalker

i wonder if i could co wash more frequently but not detangle? eventually i had to give up the denman. hair in my hands increased so much for weeks after using it just once :nono:

BonBon

Are you using re constructors/protien?

It kinda depends on your hair needs but I had the dry problem for months despite piling on the moisturisers:perplexed. When I contacted Komaza about it the first thing they asked is whether I'd started doing protein treatments yet:lol:. Straight after I used the Aphoghee reconstrutor on my next wash day my hair started receiving moisture again.

My hair is still bone dry sometimes on the first day after wash day, but it becomes moisturised before long.

koolkittychick

i wonder if i could co wash more frequently but not detangle? eventually i had to give up the denman. hair in my hands increased so much for weeks after using it just once :nono:
Don't do this. You will so regret the aftermath. Detangling is a must, but you need to learn how to finger detangle, which takes a looong time. Once I learned how to finger detangle and style, it literally increased my retention by 30%.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Detangling. My 4b hair is natural so its difficult getting out shed hairs. Ive gotten much better in the last few months. I do everything in sections now.

Harina

Dryness and Styling.

I just take it one section at a time with a bottle of vodka by my side.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
my biggest issue is the differences in curl sizes. it can be challenging to have one area on my head shrink over 50% and other areas shrink 20-30%. what works well on one area is too much or too little in another.

Ogoma

Keeping everyone away from its fabulousness :lol:.

On a serious note, my hair frizzes quite easily. I have never been able to do twists because it will loosen at the roots and get fuzzy very quickly. I don't know if it is really an issue per se since I just use aloe gel to tame the frizz and keep it moving.

Last edited:

sharifeh

Are you air drying?

This is an unconventional thing I'm about to say but air dying makes my hair dryer in the long run even when done correctly. The truth is that heat seals in the moisture from a deep conditioners you just have to use heat responsibly
But heat makes all the difference for me

Guinan

Re-Branding
My biggest issues r keeping my hair balanced with moisture & protein. Just when I think I have it down pack, I get confused & can't tell which one my hair needs. I've been getting into the habit of starting to use mild protein, instead of hard protein.

all_1_length

Trying to prevent broken ends/edges. It seems that everything I do to keep my hair healthy is a necessity from how I wash, condition, deep condition, and blow dry to doing my hair in twist and wrapping it up at night.

Recently I was having trouble with my hair until I realized that I had fallen off my regimen and that was causing me problems not to mention more breakage. Long story short the biggest booboo was the use of Aphogee 2 step protein instead of my regular GPB conditioner for my protein. My hair needs keratin to stay healthy and the collagen in the 2 step was not gonna do it for me. My hair was dry and wouldn't act right no matter what I did. I couldn't take it anymore and did a GPB DC and all is right with my hair ...for now.

The moral of my story: don't slack off. Stick to what works FOR YOU and do not deviate from it (unless you find something better).:grin:

mahogany_horizons

Too many textures.

That's my biggest issue.

I have to handle each section differently.

3c mostly. 4a crown, 3c front section 3b back, and nape, 4b temples.

I used to wonder about my moms relaxing methods. Spotter for edges every 6 weeks.

8 to 9 weeks for relaxing whole head

Relax the back last for about 3 minutes.

Now that I am transitioning I get it!

She was doing he best to manage the multiple textures in my hair and not burn it out lol!

Smiley79

I'd have to stay styling, and learning the combination of product & technique for MY hair. My style outcomes are so hit or miss, it can be frustrating.

Cut back on watching so many other heads and thinking that what mine could look like. (im getting better at this though)

spellinto

Right now I'm working on how to preserve my ends when I'm detangling (specifically with combs because they seem to cause the most trauma). It won't be an issue for long though because I'm determined to figure things out!

ronie

Using too many products. I got my hair on cruise control twice. Each time I got bored and started buying and using new products. Each time I ended up with crazy breakage that took weeks to settle. I was looking at my journal and I am going to stick to my cruise control regimen and products until I reach BSL. That means I have a lot of products to give away.
Being a PJ hurts my pockets and my hair. I am determined to correct this.

girlonfire

My main problem is detangling. Its not even like my hair is horrible to detangle. I'm just really lazy,.so i will let my hair be wild for 2 weeks straight, no detangling, and then on top of that when i finally say "i need to fix this" i start at like 6pm and end at 2 am. I'm just irresponsible. I've read that steaming makes detangling less of a chore and I'm looking into it.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Moisture retention and the lack of it that leads to frizz. I'm narrowing down products that work me( after 6 years of trial and error) and my hair is more moisturized now than it was probably 6 months ago.