What is the biggest hair myth your Mama ever told?

punchinella

tekmommie said:
My mom believed in washing my hair at least twice a week. She was right on with that. However she was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off when she said "Burn that hair out that brush, because if you throw it away and a bird gets you will be bald for the rest of your days"

Luv u Ma

Oh yes my Mom believed in burning the shed hair

punchinella

And growing hands...lol...to some extent I believe that.
[/quote]

Alot of people in my neighborhood used to believe that because the word got out that I had growing hands and I had dozens of ppl coming to me to braid their hair

MizAvalon

That my perms didn't "last" because I didn't take care of my hair.

The "not lasting" that she was speaking of? NEW GROWTH.:perplexed

Bless her heart, she just didn't know any better.:ohwell:

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
Pregnant people have growing hands (only whilst they were pregnant of course)
If you wash your hair too often you'll wash out the relaxer (which was later a justification for combing the relaxer all the way through my hair)
Your hair gets used to a particular strength of relaxer so if your new growth comes in quickly you have to start using a stronger brand (she was using super relaxers on my hair before I was 12)

The list goes on and there I was thinking these crazy hair myths were a weird jamaican thing

BrwnSugaBabee

MsKendra said:
when someone finishes your hair your not supposed to say thank you or your hair will not grow/fall out.....instead you should say more hair :lol:

OMG..My mom used to say this when I was little. She would comb my hair..make plaits..and then finish off with "more hair" ..and I repeated it..EVERY TIME LOL