Lavatech Ceramic Pressing Comb: Reviews?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies!
I am looking into purchasing this pressing comb for when I straighten for my length check in August.

Does anybody have any experiences with it? I am terrified of heat damage, as I am transitioning and want to make sure that when I chop, my curl pattern is not ruined. Has anyone used this? What products did you use with it? What about heat damage?
TIA ladies!

KnottyGurl

I'm not using heat right now, but I'm definitely interested. Where are they selling this at?

I forgot to mention that I have already have a gold n hot ceramic (they say) pressing comb. I enjoyed using it but the teeth was alittle too big and it was a little wider than I liked too. I didn't have any problems with heat damage. I liked using Sally Beauty Beyond The Zone Heat Protectant Spray.

Last edited:

davisbr88

It's on blackhairspray.com. With shipping, I think it's only $35. It's more expensive everywhere else I have checked.

Tiye

Hi, ladies!
I am looking into purchasing this pressing comb for when I straighten for my length check in August.

Does anybody have any experiences with it? I am terrified of heat damage, as I am transitioning and want to make sure that when I chop, my curl pattern is not ruined. Has anyone used this? What products did you use with it? What about heat damage?
TIA ladies!

I researched this but the specs say it only goes to 400 F which would not work for me but if you have soft or fine hair then it might be fine for your purposes. Anyway it's easy to avoid heat damage - if you don't know what the correct temp is for your hair then start with a small test patch and your comb or iron on a low setting then turn up the dial only until your hair gets to the desired straightness then stop. Don't plug it in, crank it up to max heat and start running your hair through it that's how heat damage occurs.

davisbr88

^^Thanks for your response. I know that I can probably get away with below 400 (I have fine and very soft hair). But I was just wondering if this comb as compared to a flat iron causes more heat damage, if that makes sense. I have a Maxiglide and I use it on half-setting on most of my hair (I have to turn it up a little higher for my crown area since it's thicker and a little coarser, but not higher than 7) but I don't know exactly what level 5 and 7 on a Maxiglide means temperature-wise. I haven't had heat damage using that, but I need something to get closer to my roots. I definitely didn't even think to do a small patch test (duh moment!). Very helpful suggestion! I think I am going to go ahead and get it. I will post a review after I use it, but that won't be for another month... :)

KnottyGurl

Thanks for link :up: There are alot of great things on there at low prices. I'm still interested in Lavatech, but Babyliss has caught my eye too. It looks like it's designed to help you get the roots without burning yourself. I'll have to research both.

Kash

^^Thanks for your response. I know that I can probably get away with below 400 (I have fine and very soft hair). But I was just wondering if this comb as compared to a flat iron causes more heat damage, if that makes sense. I have a Maxiglide and I use it on half-setting on most of my hair (I have to turn it up a little higher for my crown area since it's thicker and a little coarser, but not higher than 7) but I don't know exactly what level 5 and 7 on a Maxiglide means temperature-wise. I haven't had heat damage using that, but I need something to get closer to my roots. I definitely didn't even think to do a small patch test (duh moment!). Very helpful suggestion! I think I am going to go ahead and get it. I will post a review after I use it, but that won't be for another month... :)

doesn't make sense to me...cause the only thing that causes heat damage is the human being that does the pressing and their lack of skills with said heat tool.

davisbr88

doesn't make sense to me...cause the only thing that causes heat damage is the human being that does the pressing and their lack of skills with said heat tool.

Actually, some heated tools have settings but can provide uneven heat, which has nothing to do with the user's skills. Therefore, I was asking for experiences with this particular comb.

davisbr88

Thanks for link :up: There are alot of great things on there at low prices. I'm still interested in Lavatech, but Babyliss has caught my eye too. It looks like it's designed to help you get the roots without burning yourself. I'll have to research both.

I was looking at that too but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it since I have a Babyliss flat iron that I don't dislike, but don't really love. So before I spend that much on another, I figure it wouldn't hurt to try something new.

AtlantaJJ

Anyone using this thing? I surprised there are not more ceramic hot combs on the market. I guess flat irons rule now.

darlingdiva

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but my hair was pressed with this comb around Christmas and the results were good. It gets the hair straight.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I can't see the pic on my phone at work. I'm interested myself! Is it electric with a digital temp screen? I don't buy heat appliances unless I can tell the exact temp.

cheerrette

I bought this for my nieces hair last year and I have used it on her twice. It didnt really straighten her hair that well at all, but she also has super dry hair. In order for her to wear it down i still had to follow with a flat iron. I dont remember what setting I had it on probably not the highest maybe about 340 ish. It worked well enough to make her hair more manageable though.