• Yes, sometimes!

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • No, I'm afraid to use a hot comb!

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • No, I want to try!

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters

gabulldawg

Although I haven't straightened in a while, I use a hot comb to achieve the look. Okay, I don't use it but my mom presses my hair wth a comb. (Who woulda thought I'd be a grown a$$ woman sittin' in my mama's kitchen making sure my ears didn't get burned?) Flat ironing alone does nothing for me.

This is my problem now since I'm pretty much no longer overprocessed and now am texlaxed. :ohwell: I bought an electric pressing comb yesterday and haven't worked up the nerve to use it. Whenever I flat iron my hair now it's just a joke! The minute I step out of the door in the GA humid air my hair reverts and looks a mess. I've been doing a search on LHCF for some tips on using a hot comb. Like others, it's been a while since I've used a hot comb on my head. I will check out Pinkskates' fotki.

RavenMaven

I want to use an electric hot comb, I just want to be in control of the temp. I am transitioning, and I still yearn for that fresh relaxer look, so I would like to have my hair roots nice and SLICK.

lina

Yes, there are ceramic pressing combs. I have one. It works O.K. I would suggest this for someone new to the pressing game.

Can you give me more information about the ceramic hot combs? Is it the same as a electric hot comb? Where did you buy it? What brand?

Thanks

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have a ceramic electric comb. It works fine enough for me. I'll use it when my hair grows long enough to roller set.

chosen07

so I want to do a length check since i'm approaching a year since my last relaxer. I don't have a good flat iron and don't plan on investing in one really soon so I'll be going the old fashioned way at my grandmother's stove. now its been centuries since I did this and all my past experiences included grease then heat = frying.
I want to take the grease and frying out of the equation but keep the heat....when using a heat protectant like Sabino...do you still need to put an oil and/or moisturizer on the hair? and if so, is this before adding the heat or after?
if I like the straight look/option, I'll probably invest in a maxiglide or chi flat iron so I can more options for monitoring heat...but for right now its a hot comb on the stove and I need some help! I'll accept any help/suggestions i can get!
btw: i did a search int he archives and everyone directed to pinkskates' fotki, which is now pretty much locked up and when I checked the website, I kinda got lost in everything...

TIA!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have an electric one that I plan to use to stretch my relaxers.:yep: It doesn't get super hot. It will make my air dried roller sets easier.

araceli2418

so I want to do a length check since i'm approaching a year since my last relaxer. I don't have a good flat iron and don't plan on investing in one really soon so I'll be going the old fashioned way at my grandmother's stove. now its been centuries since I did this and all my past experiences included grease then heat = frying.
I want to take the grease and frying out of the equation but keep the heat....when using a heat protectant like Sabino...do you still need to put an oil and/or moisturizer on the hair? and if so, is this before adding the heat or after?
if I like the straight look/option, I'll probably invest in a maxiglide or chi flat iron so I can more options for monitoring heat...but for right now its a hot comb on the stove and I need some help! I'll accept any help/suggestions i can get!
btw: i did a search int he archives and everyone directed to pinkskates' fotki, which is now pretty much locked up and when I checked the website, I kinda got lost in everything...

TIA!

Bolded: Yes, I need to know this, too. Appreciate anyone's help.

pmichael52172

While Sabino serves as a heat protectant, that feature is just a bonus. It is primarily a moisture block. This stuff is darn near waterproof. This means that once you apply it and press or flat iron, nothing and I mean NOTHING will be able to get to your strands. Trust me, I've tried. You can put as much oil or butter on top of it as you want and it's not going to get to your hair. At least, that's how it works with my hair and I NEED to moisturize my hair on a regular basis.

This can be a blessing and a curse. This is why I've decided to only use my Sabino before occasions where I need to look my best (ceremonies, presentations, etc.)

Stormy

I use an electric hot comb. I was thinking of getting a flat iron, but I don't know now. I don't need one. The hot comb gets my hair super straight.

MissBCurly

I own a stove and two hot combs (gifted) i have used them once of twice (trying out pinkskates method) I used chi or mizani heat protectant. the results are okay but too much heat for me! im scared to death ill burn myself or my hair off! lol

ilah

I have an electric hot comb. (love it). When I'm not in braids I hot comb my hair after I wash and deep condition.

I use a Kera Care pressing cream - It starts out as a solid but melts after working it into the hair.

I like the results that I get when I use it.

Sapphire_chic

I neeed this thread to come alive again lol I am considering whether to buy a stove and a few combs or an electric one. Some reviews say the electrics don't get nearly hot enough for natural hair which is why i'm worried.
Pinkskates does have a fab tutorial