Traditional or Electric Pressing Comb?

PinkyD

Hi Ladies! I just got my hair pressed on Monday and it looks lovley! My friend used a traditional pressing comb (with the little stove) on my hair. I've noticed that the pressing comb works very well with my hair and allows it to be thick and full instead of "pressed" flat like a flat iron does. It's coincidental that using a flat iron makes my hair look pressed flat...:lachen:. So i've never pressed my hair personally, so I would like to know which is better electric or traditional? Also are there ceramic traditional flat irons? I've found electric ceramic irons, but none of the others. Soo
  1. Electric or traditional?
  2. Why?
  3. Share your experience, especially if you've tried both.

Sondice

I've always wondered this too, I heard they're bangin on natural hair. I wanna get one but I'm scared of the traditional ones. I don't wanna burn my hair off.

PrincessLinzz

I have used both on my natural hair.

My mom would sit me by the stove and press my hair followed by her famous french twists, ahhh the memories. But I also remember my ear getting nipped with the hot comb as well as moving every time it came near my scalp in fear that she would burn me.

I purchased the electric hot comb for the summer time when I get my hair blown out and have to touch up my roots from either sweat or humidity. It was very convenient and I didn't need a stove.

That said I go with the original hot comb. I got a better press or rather a "hard press" from it and it lasted longer on my hair, a few days actually.

The electric hot comb, while portable and easy to use. The teeth didn't grab enough of my sweaty roots/edges, it just did not go that close to my scalp. I also had to go over it more than once and experienced breakage.

I will say this: When my mom hot combed my hair by the stove I NEVER had breakage...just a singed ear...but I'm still here. :lachen::lachen:

PPGbubbles

I loved my electric pressing comb it got my roots just fine... and it took the guess work out of the stove kind....the whole paper towel test can be a lil tricky.

I had a gold 'n' hot one and it worked fine.

Nubenap22

*rubs tips of ears in rememberance* I have both a traditional one my grandmothers old old old school one. I dont like the eletric one much it has the smokey burnt hair smell. When my aunt used to press my hair with the old school i got a better experince and it lasted longer!!! Just dont put butter on your ear when it gets burned lmao

poookie

i have a tourmaline ceramic pressing comb. i've used it twice to straighten my hair, most recent attempt has been a few days ago, at 16 weeks post.

i rollerset my hair (on curlformers), & then use the comb to straighten my roots. it's been wonderful so far: flat irons just can't reach my roots. i also have a bit of breakage at the demarcation line at my crown. so some parts of my hair are already totally natural. with shrinkage, there's no way a traditional flat-iron can reach. my pressing comb has been a lifesaver!

i've never had my hair professionally pressed, & frankly wouldn't trust a comb without a temperature setting. i press my new growth at about 375 degrees max.

Ms Lala

I used to press my own and I would suggest the electric, just because you can control the heat better.

classychic1908

I have used electric straightening combs over the years and for me they are better than the stove combs, because you can better control the temps and they are convenient to use, travel with, ect. I read some reviews online for some ceramic and tourmaline combs and they all had bad reviews... so I was thinking about the maxiglide... now I think I'm thinking about the ceramic tourmaline comb again:rolleyes:

Decisions... Decisions...

Last edited:

SweetCaramel1

i have the old-fashioned stove comb. it gets my daughter's and my hair really straight. it's a little more difficult in the beginning to learn how to use/control the temperature, but after awhile you'll know how many seconds to leave it on the stove fire/burner (i guess if you have the new modern electrical stoves (flat tops) it may be a little more challenging)

i always use a paper towel before applying the heat to my head to make sure it doesn't burn. tap the paper towel once with the comb, if it burns the paper it's too hot....................lol, after typing this i realize how old fashioned this sounds but it works :lachen:

i guess i'm just old school :drunk: the best for hair health is probably the electrical comb because you know the exact temperature you are applying. but the best for hair straightening is the stove comb.

darlingdiva

Pookie where did you purchase your ceramic pressing comb?

Okay, I clicked on the link to the picture & was directed to Lava Tech's web site. I didn't see how I could order the comb from the web site, so I called one of the representatives, who was super nice & very helpful.

He directed me to the following website: www.beauty4family.com
I went on the web site & the pressing comb was not on there, although they do have other Lava Tech products.

I called him back & told him that the pressing comb (Model # LT-729PC) was not on the web site.

He then directed me to www.americanprohaircare.com
The comb IS on that web site for $42. I think I'm going to order it.

In regards to the question of this thread, my mom always straightened my hair w/ a pressing comb and pressing oil & it had bounce once I rolled it w/ sponge rollers. I have a T3 Medium Duality flat iron. I've flat-ironed my hair twice recently in the space of four days (I know that's horrible, but I wanted to wear my hair straight for the holidays). Both times it came out poofy. It's straight when I straighten it, but it's not straight enough for me to wear it down. I think some of it is my fault, though, because I've been too heavy-handed w/ the heat protectant.

In regards to electric pressing combs, I bought one earlier this week from the BSS for $13 dollars. It helped to get my hair straight--particularly my ends--before I flat-ironed it, but it's not a quality comb at all. I don't think I'm going to ever use it again.

Yesterday, I washed my hair & put twists in them for a twist-out. My husband & I are going out tonight (despite the snow), and my mother is going to straighten my hair tomorrow.

vkb247

i have a tourmaline ceramic pressing comb. i've used it twice to straighten my hair, most recent attempt has been a few days ago, at 16 weeks post.

i rollerset my hair (on curlformers), & then use the comb to straighten my roots. it's been wonderful so far: flat irons just can't reach my roots. i also have a bit of breakage at the demarcation line at my crown. so some parts of my hair are already totally natural. with shrinkage, there's no way a traditional flat-iron can reach. my pressing comb has been a lifesaver!

i've never had my hair professionally pressed, & frankly wouldn't trust a comb without a temperature setting. i press my new growth at about 375 degrees max.

I just bought this same comb from a BSS in Atlanta. I haven't used it yet but I need a temperature control in my life.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Has anyone used the Kentucky Maid electric comb? That looks AwEsOmE!! I'm hoping it would work as well as the Marcels...a girl can hope, right?

PinkyD

My friend said that the traditionional is better, but I should begin practicing with electric. I'll keep you guys updated....with pics :)

FNP-2009

Neither.
I was 15 when my mother first let me press my hair, from putting the traditional comb on the stove, to buying a stove. I left for college at 16, and decided to buy an electric comb........blah. Sucked horribly!
I would recommend tourmaline flat iron. It doesn't snag the hair like a pressing comb does. If you're worried about pressing the roots, try twisting the hair tight while sitting under the dryer to straighten the roots, use a Lustrasilk culture solution (if you want it BONE STRAIGHT!!!!!) and then follow in small sections with a tourmaline/ceramic flat iron. WIth a pressing comb (regular) it's metal and increases the positive chartge to hair (opening the cuticle more) whereas ceramic/tourmaline is negatively charged, neutralizing the hair's charge, making shinier, straighter, yada yada yada

Hysi

this is similiar to the one i have. it's ceramic tourmaline with the guards ( i remove them). i got it from walmart for about 15 bucks. i like this one for my own use- i still have the ones my mother used, but i like the electric one as it takes the guess work out of the heat and still does a good job. the results i get with flat iron and electric pressing comb are about the same although i think the flat iron is easier imo.

*****sorry for double post;website got stuck and i thought it wasn't going to post, but it did. for some reason can't figure out how to delete one. ;)

Last edited:

Hysi

this is similiar to the one i have. it is ceramic tourmaline with guards, but i remove those. i got it from walmart for about 15 bucks. i like the electric one best for my own use as it takes the guesswork out of the heat. i still have the old skool ones my mother used to use...ahhhh... such fond memories of the burning ear, lol. the results i get from flat iron and electric pressing are roughly the same, although i think the flat iron is a bit easier imo.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
hmmm... i'm a heat addict and the pressin combs look cool. i wanna try one! not the stove one though. i'm skurred. ♥

FNP-2009

Lustrasilk HAIR CULTURE SOLUTION - 8oz sprayItem #: 3294

$4.99

Formula: RegularSuper
Quantity:

Product Description
Lustrasilk ...For Pressing and Styling Super Curly Hair

Lutrasilk Hair Culture Solution may be used on all types of hair and is recommended on all types of hair and is recommended for hair which cannot withstand relaxing with caustic chemical relaxers.

Directions:

Shampoo - Rinse - Towel dry.

Spray and thoroughly saturate hair with Hair Culture Solution.(I recommend 5-8 sprays max....do NOT saturate hair)
Comb through with a large tooth comb. Part hair into 4 to 6 sections. Braid or twist each section and secure with bobby pins or clips.

Dry completely under dryer or air dry.

Press firmly with back of pressing comb. DO NOT add and cream or oil.

Style as desired. No further application of scalp cream or oil is necessary if a curling iron is used.

Last edited:

PinkyD

Thanks for the great repsonses guys, this is so helpful, im headed out to find that lustrasilk, is it alos a heatprotectant????

BUUUUUUUUUUMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

GabbanaGirl

I happen to prefer traditional pressing combs over the kind you plug in. Believe it or not, you have more control over the amount of heat you put in your hair. Yes the electric pressing combs have control dials, however the heat has been "predetermined" for you, so that means sometimes you may get too little or too much heat depending on the setting you choose. In order for me to get my hair straight using an electric pressing comb, I have to use the highest setting on those things, and that is way too hot for my hair, yet the setting down from that, isn't hot enough.

With a traditional pressing comb, you have complete control over the amount of heat...so you can get a nice full big fluffy press, or leaving it in the stove a bit longer will yield a sleeker smoother straighter press...you could even do a "textured press" where you have that big Diana Ross look, the hair is still straight, but it has more texture to it. It is much harder to do this (in my opinion) with the electric comb given the preset temps.

Second reason I prefer the traditional is because of the heat source, the traditional combs are placed in a thermal oven, which yields different results when you press. If you use thermal straightening techniques correctly, there is a distinct difference between softness, and body when using a traditional combs, that electric combs can't even begin replicate because of the heat source.

Not to mention, they can be more drying/damaging than traditional combs placed in thermal ovens. However improper use of traditional combs can be just as damaging if you aren't careful, a perfect example would be using a traditional pressing comb on the kitchen stove, if done regularly that can really take a toll on your hair. I am saying this to say; All heat sources are not created equal. - They have definitely made strides with electrical equipment, with the invention of ionic technology (ionic products like the chi..etc) and this was due in part to the extreme drying effects of a lot of plug-in hair devices.

If you plan to press your hair on a regular basis, I would suggest you lean towards a traditional comb, and invest in a Golden Supreme Heat Tester (I did a review of it in my blog, you can find the addy in my fotki). This way you can ENSURE that you NEVER have the comb too hot, and you can enjoy the benefits of using a traditional pressing comb (softness, body, shine, etc).

My ALL TIME favorite combs are Kizure, the heavier the comb the better, I love those combs because they have even heat distribution, and they hold heat well. Even heat distribution is key to make sure you can press your hair straight in one pass. They sell them at most Professional Beauty Supplies, I don't think I have seen Kizure combs at Sally's, although it may differ by region. In my opinion they are the best you can get. You can order them online through the company here

They have pressing combs for fine hair, super coarse hair etc, the temple/hairline, and even a double heavyweight comb.

Sorry this was so long-winded, I tried to explain it as best as I possibly could. My mom has been a stylist for almost 30 years, and has taught numerous classes on hair styling techniques for thermal styling.... so I have learned a lot from her. Hope I could shed a little light on my perspective.

PinkyD

That was such a helpful post GabbanaGirl ! Now....who out there has a pressing demo video on YT...any takers?