ladies who relax - NG question

ladylibra

i've seen several ladies say within a few weeks after a touch-up, they have NG and it's causing difficulties.

***i'm just curious, i don't mean this to come off sounding as anything other than curiousity.***

how much NG do you have at 4 weeks post?

are you using any growth aids? if so, what?

what makes it so difficult to deal with... is it the difference between the textures of NG and relaxed hair?

how do you handle the NG until you relax, especially if you stretch?

Neala21

Very good question and waiting for answers as I would like to know as well.
I know my twin is 4 weeks post and she doesn't find it any different as being harder. She's got .5" of ng. She loves it!

No growth aid she just's using her beloved Vatika Oil daily. Sometimes she said her ng makes her want to transition (mines as well but i'm 17 wks post)

BTW: LadyLibra your hair in your avatar looks really good. It almost looks like you cut it as I'm not sure if you've just pulled it back into a pony tail but Really Cute..you better not have cut it

ladylibra

^^^LOL i didn't cut it! i did a faux-bob on flat ironed hair. i've been jonesing for a bob for MONTHS now and this was the perfect compromise. :yep:

PeggyFair

I would like to know too. I have never experienced any problems with handling my NG at 4 weeks post. It's still bone straight almost. I don't start experiencing problems with styling until 8-10 weeks and up post.

Ramya

In 4 weeks I usually have about an inch of new growth. This summer it has been a little bit more. my ng comes in as loose z pattern waves that refuse to cooperate when I try and wrap my hair or straighten it. Plus they frizz. So it's like the length is smooth and silky and the roots are frizzy/fuzzy. not a good look. The only thing I can do with my hair until relax time is either blow the roots out (too much direct heat) or wash n go. Both I hate. :nono: Most of the time I just do curly rollersets that I dont have to manipulate. No growth aids and it's really not difficult but annoying if that makes sense.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'd like to know this too. If your ng is hard to manage after 4 weeks, I need to do what YOU'RE doing!

Mook's hair

In 4 weeks I usually have about an inch of new growth. This summer it has been a little bit more. my ng comes in as loose z pattern waves that refuse to cooperate when I try and wrap my hair or straighten it. Plus they frizz. So it's like the length is smooth and silky and the roots are frizzy/fuzzy. not a good look. The only thing I can do with my hair until relax time is either blow the roots out (too much direct heat) or wash n go. Both I hate. :nono: Most of the time I just do curly rollersets that I dont have to manipulate. No growth aids and it's really not difficult but annoying if that makes sense.

:look: Curious :look:
Are you texlaxed or completely relaxed?
How often do you trim or cut your hair?
How often do you do your touchups?

Evazhair

i've seen several ladies say within a few weeks after a touch-up, they have NG and it's causing difficulties.

They must be getting some serious growth from a growth aid or genetics or for it to be causing "difficulties" at 4 weeks. Maybe it has some to do with texture. Either that or they were underprocessed at their last touchup. All this is IMO of course.

***i'm just curious, i don't mean this to come off sounding as anything other than curiousity.***

how much NG do you have at 4 weeks post? I have no idea because: 1.at four weeks there is not enough new growth for my wave pattern to appear, so basically it still appears /acts straight until usually I see evidence( a wave) around week 6.
2. I do not measure my hair.Around touchup time I may roughly estimate the amount of new growth with my finger.

are you using any growth aids? if so, what? not right now. I have some gro aut oil that I plan to start using regularly next month I have used Lenzi's, ayurvedic herbs in the past and other supplements for my health that are supposed to have hair benefits. When I was using those things at week 5 my hair definitely seems like it is at week 6. Since Feb I have been just taking my supplements and my hair is growing fine. After I tried MN twice, I decided not to be greedy and do a bunch of extra stuff with possible detrimental consequences- My hair grows fine on its own.

what makes it so difficult to deal with... is it the difference between the textures of NG and relaxed hair? I just did a "stretch" because I wanted to get my hair done out of town. I had over an inch of ng in some places (last t/u was march, relaxer was not applied "at scalp") The problem is for me, that my 2 textures require different care once there is a certain amt of ng. The natural likes frequent wetting/conditioning& different conditioners than the relaxed hair. The relaxed likes to be clean, dc, moisturized and left alone. It is also best that I keep the ng as straight as possible at that point which is best done with direct heat and I chose not to use it, and my hair was a HAM this past month. In a nutshell TOO MUCH MANIPULATION REQUIRED.

Normally up until 8-10 weeks I can rollerset it and be good. After a certain amount of ng, I definitely need to use a flat iron or something. I won't be stretching like that again unless I decide to transition.

ladylibra

Oh okay...whew!!:giggle: that was my bad... Its very face framing and cute.

thank you! :grin:

dang i thought my hair grew fast... a whole inch??? i'm jealous!!! :lachen:

Ramya

:look: Curious :look:
Are you texlaxed or completely relaxed?
How often do you trim or cut your hair?
How often do you do your touchups?

I'm highly textured relaxed. It's straight but still textured if that makes any sense at all. I trim at every touchup which is once every 9-16 weeks depending on how lazy I am. I usually reshape my whole hair cut b/c I have layers that need to fall correctly.

A856

i was thinking underprocessed as well...at 4weeks my perm still looks new...

i know that doesn't help...that was just my .02cents

Spongie Bloom

wooooooooow :spinning: an inch a month so 12 inches a yr :blush: you will have hair swanging to ur butt in no time

TLC1020

I have 4b relaxed texture, at four weeks I don't have that much but that's when my new growth begin to look poofy at the roots. I begin wearing my buns at this point and every now and then I do a braidout but they don't last long. I have thick hair so when the new-growth begin coming in its extra thick and poofy.

HappyHairDreams

what makes it so difficult to deal with... is it the difference between the textures of NG and relaxed hair?

At 4 weeks, I have about a centimeter give or take in different areas.

I recently started using BT, but i don't know if it has done anything to increase my growth rate though.

At this point, I wouldn't say my NG is difficult to deal with, but before, when I didn't know what I was doing, it was def. a struggle. Dealing with the different textures was difficult because it's prone to breaking.

For me, I had to make sure i stayed on top of my protein to make sure the hair was strong at the texture line so it wouldn't break. And also avoiding manipulation. I generally wear curly styles instead of trying to get the hair straight. Although I know some ladies on here straighten the NG with a flatiron. I'm scared to do that but I might try it.

mahogany_horizons

I had between .5 and .75 inches (out of 1 inch) of new growth before my mom relaxed me this weekend. I don't eat anything special. I'm very calorie and exercise concious, and I do take 2 multivitamins a day, but other than that, NOTHING. all I've been doign differently since LHCF is washing like every 4 days or so......

myronnie

half an inch..approximately
NO
urm the knots that form when there is a lot of ng.
moisturizing a lot upping the dc's and cowashes..and also low manipulation is important also.

You better not be thinking of relaxing..... :crying3::angry2::naughty::covereyes:cry:

Connie

I don't even notice my any new growth until 3 months after my last retouch, and then it's usually quite a bit and I spend the next 3-4 weeks deciding when I'm going to see my stylist and when I want to spend the money. Suffice it to say, my stylist sees me roughly 3 times/year, which is why she refuses to put color in my hair.

Anyhoo...I use Soft Sheen's Optimum Care shampoo, which softens and detangles my hair better than any shampoo I've used, especially my new growth. And I only comb my new growth when it's wet. When dry I try not to comb it much and just work with the relaxed strands. I use a light hairgrease on the scalp, and Organics Carrot Oil and a little Hot Six oil on my hair. I don't know how good those products are overall for the hair, but I'm one of those people who will put just about anything on her hair as long as it doesn't fall out.

Last edited:

ladylibra

You better not be thinking of relaxing..... :crying3::angry2::naughty::covereyes:cry:

i'm not i swear! :nono:

just curious is all.

okay another question for amerikan, is it a consistent 1 inch every month? cuz i get near that growth rate in fall/winter but right now my hair is probably snailing along at .5 inches or less :lachen:

i am going to steal your hair growth genes somehow... :yep: :spinning: :drunk:

Ramya

i'm not i swear! :nono:

just curious is all.

okay another question for amerikan, is it a consistent 1 inch every month? cuz i get near that growth rate in fall/winter but right now my hair is probably snailing along at .5 inches or less :lachen:

i am going to steal your hair growth genes somehow... :yep: :spinning: :drunk:

LOL you can have them. But in the winter I get about .75 a month and it's a battle to retain length in the winter. I have to totally change my regi. Oh and working out and eating well really makes a difference. Sometimes I'll get more than an inch when doing that regularly

ladylibra

LOL you can have them. But in the winter I get about .75 a month and it's a battle to retain length in the winter. I have to totally change my regi. Oh and working out and eating well really makes a difference. Sometimes I'll get more than an inch when doing that regularly

okay well it's a deal. box em up and ship em over! :lachen:

starfish

I just looked, maybe clsoe to an inch in the front, and definitely an inch at the crown and in the back.
I just started that OCT stuff, and I take Biotin every night. It's really genetics though, I get it from my mama.
My hair gets tangled and matted at my scalp.
The difference between the two textures is the rest of my hair is like silky straight semi-fine weave hair, and my ng is wavy-curly when wet, then turns into a tangled poofball at the scalp when it dries. I don't see how ya'll do the stretching!

I get a relaxer every 6 weeks because I can't deal with my ng. Now that I'm not putting heat on my hair and it's up and wet it's not that bad. I workout everyday and sweat in my hair and just started co-washing everyday and keeping it in a loose bun so it never really dries. My hair can't take alot of heat so if I were to stretch other than rollersetting, it's too much. I don't know how to use a flat iron.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I know for me when I found the boards I was having so much trouble at 5 weeks bc I thought it was so much NG. After using all the info my NG is so much more manageable. For me the difference was technique/how I actually took care of my hair so it's not dry and hard to comb anymore

starfish

I know for me when I found the boards I was having so much trouble at 5 weeks bc I thought it was so much NG. After using all the info my NG is so much more manageable. For me the difference was technique/how I actually took care of my hair so it's not dry and hard to comb anymore

could you PM me and tell the technique you used to deal with ng? I'd like to learn how to stretch but don't know how.

Thanks!