When stretching, when do you decide "enough is enough"

Divine Inspiration said:
Hmmm...for me, there's no such time. The key was finding the right products for various stages of the stretch. My 2 weeks post texlaxed hair and my 8 months post texlaxed hair need different things.

Long-term transitioners are proof that mega stretches can be done if you have the proper products and techniques.

Yep, I completely agree! There are people who transition succesfully for 2 years while slowly cutting away the relaxed ends. I just ended a 8.5 month stretch and could have kept going, I relaxed because I was tired of dealing with all the newgrowth! :lol: .....not because of excessive shedding or breakage ( I had very little actually)
I just had to give my hair lots and lots of moisture. Frequent co-washes (and no combing or brushing in between) were definitely my friend those last few months!

I am really confident I can get past 8 weeks, which is where I will be a week from today. Even today, my sister and I met and the 1st thing she said to me was, "Your hair looks good. it is getting longer and I can tell that it's thicker." I told her to touch my roots and she was like :eek: and said that you cannot tell that I have so much NG and that I should not relax if I am handling it pretty well. That encouraged me to try to get to 10 weeks. I will decide next Sunday to see how things go.

Divine Inspiration said:
Hmmm...for me, there's no such time. The key was finding the right products for various stages of the stretch. My 2 weeks post texlaxed hair and my 8 months post texlaxed hair need different things.

Long-term transitioners are proof that mega stretches can be done if you have the proper products and techniques.

Agreed.

Are you still stretching DI? IIRC, you have been stretching for the better part of 2 years right?

ETA: Should have read ahead. I just where you said that you won't be texlaxing for another 10 weeks. :)

Last edited:
The longest I've been able to stretch was this last time from Jan- Apr -
12 weeks. I was surprised! I usually can only go btwn 8-10 wks.

But, like the others, I stretch according to shedding as well. It just so happened that this last time, I relaxed because my NG was 'showing'.
Plus it had been a while so, like you, wanted to see how much it had grown.

I was pleased.:grin:

What's interesting is I never get the breakage or the shedding. Maybe my hair is telling me enough isnt enough and perhaps I should go past my 12 week stretch! I am going to tru it this time..:eek: I will let you ladies know how it works out.

freshlikemoi said:
What's interesting is I never get the breakage or the shedding. Maybe my hair is telling me enough isnt enough and perhaps I should go past my 12 week stretch! I am going to tru it this time..:eek: I will let you ladies know how it works out.

That is why I started this thread!!! :lol: I am not getting shedding or breakage so that's why I think my hair is saying STEP AWAY FROM THE PROFECTIV NO-LYE.

HoneyDew said:
That is why I started this thread!!! :lol: I am not getting shedding or breakage so that's why I think my hair is saying STEP AWAY FROM THE PROFECTIV NO-LYE.

LMAO!!! Yea, and that's why I read almost all of the posts because its like...I mean I see a little shedding but hair is supposed to shed. But I don't see the crazy shedding as some ladies experience. HOWEVER, I don't wanna do too much bragging, cuz I'm on a stretch challenge now..:lol: next thing I know my hair will be everywhere.

I usually decide enough is enough when the time it takes me to detangle in the shower gets ridiculous, anything longer than 30 minutes and I know its relaxer time. This usually occurs around the 12-14 weeks mark.

16 WEEKS. I've never stretched beyond that to my recollection.

I'm currently beginning my 16th week today and I rollerset my hair and it STILL looks like a *FLOATING WIG*. Even my braidouts are starting to look weird cause my new growth shrinkage is shortening the length.

My goal this time was 20 wks or beyond but I don't know....the slightest thing could make me break down and relax.

HoneyDew said:
I am really confident I can get past 8 weeks, which is where I will be a week from today. Even today, my sister and I met and the 1st thing she said to me was, "Your hair looks good. it is getting longer and I can tell that it's thicker." I told her to touch my roots and she was like :eek: and said that you cannot tell that I have so much NG and that I should not relax if I am handling it pretty well. That encouraged me to try to get to 10 weeks. I will decide next Sunday to see how things go.

My mom said the same thing yesterday! Yesterday marked 7 weeks for me, and normally, I go 8 weeks. This time I'm pushing for 9 or 10. I haven't been able to make it the last couple times. Breakage...

I did learn, however that my hair doesn't respond well to protein after 6 weeks post. That's when I do an amla oil treatment w/ my heat cap. Makes the hubby kinda cranky from the smell, but the breakage stops and I don't get the dryness from protein.

Good luck with the stretch to 10 weeks, you're not alone!!! :)

I hear ya on the protein! I'm thinking protein is one of the saboteurs to my attempts to stretch past 8 weeks. I'm gonna try the amla oil treatments, too. I like the smell ;-)

well I called enough is enough when I went to the dominican salon and they almost pulled my hair out. I was cursing them out and telling them to stop I will do it. I relax a week before my third month. the blow out didn't even last two days.:perplexed

CantBeCopied said:
16 WEEKS. I've never stretched beyond that to my recollection.

I'm currently beginning my 16th week today and I rollerset my hair and it STILL looks like a *FLOATING WIG*. Even my braidouts are starting to look weird cause my new growth shrinkage is shortening the length.

My goal this time was 20 wks or beyond but I don't know....the slightest thing could make me break down and relax.

:lachen: @ *FLOATING WIG*!!

When it takes too long to detangle in the shower and when my best conditioners stop doing the job to get rid of em, it is time.

I guess just when I feel like it. I don't have problems with stretching and I usually keep my hair in braids once I hit the 8-12week mark to minimize breakage and manipulation. Once I get bored with the braids and ready for a fresh new style, then I relax.

Honi said:
When it takes too long to detangle in the shower and when my best conditioners stop doing the job to get rid of em, it is time.

Same for me. It's about that time right now for muah.;)

Divine Inspiration said:
I'll be glad to stretch with you although I won't be texlaxing for another 10 weeks or so. :)

Thanks DI. I need to hold out until at least May 23rd. This will be 13 wks! WHEW! I've got that urge now .

Back