• faster when relaxed

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • about the same

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • never took notice

Votes: 32 18.7%

• Total voters

Piscesgirl718

I think my hair grows at the same rate if I'm relaxed or natural. However, I think that I retain more growth/length if it's natural.

Harmony0221

I want to say it grows faster now that I am natural but at the same time I didn't have LHCF when I was relaxed sooooo....

brownsugarflyygirl

I think that my hair grows at the same speed but I have retained more length as a natural because I wear more protective styles now than I did when I was relaxed.

LadyKaypnyc

My hair grows at the same speed...but I wasn't able to retain the length when I had a relaxer.:nono:

My hair was always long, but by the time I reach brastrap length, my hair was start to break off. No matter what I did...:spinning:

Now that I'm natural, my hair grow and retain it's length w/o too much effort...although shrinkage would fool one into thinking it's not growing at all:lachen:

I would say my hair grew faster when I was relaxed
but longer now that I am natural and know how to take care of my hair.

If I knew about stretching relaxers and caring for your ends when I was relaxed I think I would've had the same growth and retention rate.

ebonylocs

It grows at the same rate. (Of course. Having or not having a relaxer won't affect the rate hair grows out of your scalp. (Unless you're talking serious scalp damage).

However, of course, when relaxed my length *shows* a lot more.

But the trade-off is my relaxed hair now seems more brittle, more fragile and more prone to breakage than my natural hair was. But that's probably because I'm currently over-processed. It didn't feel quite like this before the last relaxer session.

aja1121

My hair grows the same either way. The difference is as a natural, there are no length retention issues like when relaxed.

ITA!!! same speed, but I retained way more length with natural hair. The only way I could monitor was growth with relaxers was with my new growth and roots from color.:ohwell:

jennifermb

I immediately voted faster when natural. I really should've voted "same speed". I did have noticeable new growth every 6 weeks when I was relaxed both times. The problem was that my relaxed hair always broke off :perplexed so I sometimes confuse that with not growing.

Faith

I said faster when natural but I think it may be because I keep all of my ends as a natural and had to trim a bit more as a relaxed head. Hmm!

onyxcabelo

Seems like it was the same growth rate - however, it almost seemed like to me that my hair grew faster with the relaxer because it was straighter, of course:rolleyes:, but also it always seemed like I was in need of a retouch, which also made it "seem" like it grew faster.

gradygirl

I don't know if it grows faster but I retain more inches because my hair does not break as much anymore. It grew really fast right after I bc'ed but my hair always seem to take off after a good cut.

MonPetite

Same speed, but I think I'm retaining more. That said, once my scalp was out of the detox phase I could feel more tingling and I still do. :yep:

My hair grew in "spurts" relaxed, now it is constant. Faster? Not sure.

Maybe my growing phase has lengthened.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I say it grew faster natural because I rinse daily. My rate of retention is better because I barely shed any hair natural.

ladylibra

same growth rate, greater retention as a natural. i'm more involved in caring for my hair now, so that's part of it too. :look:

winnettag

My hair grew the same. The only difference now is that I'm retaining the length instead of sweeping ends up off the floor!

naturalgurl

My hair grows at the same rate either way (I think). It's just that I retain lenght as a natural. When I was relaxed, never got past APL, now I'm breezing by APL unstretched and I have so much more hair than when I was relaxed.

shebababy

Based on my new growth, my relaxed hair grew slower. I think my scalp didnt like that particular relaxer though. When i texturized, my hair grew quickly; from a lil past shoulder length to a inch from bra strap; then my hair subsequently broke off. As a natural my hair grew quickly, but the first time around, I had no idea how to handle it. Now I'm newly natural again, hopefully I'll get it right this time; either that or cutting this ole hair short.

LadyEuphoria007

My hair was growing the same but maintaining and retaining it was a diff story. By the time I figured it out...I decided to go natural.

bbdgirl

when my hair was natural I was sure that it was growing faster but it just turns out that I was treating my hair differently than when it was relaxed. Mainly I rinsed my hair everyday and always left conditioner in all day and night. MY hair wasnt growing any faster I was just retaining length better than I ever had before. Now that I practice the same thing frequent washings, deep conditoning and always using conditioner night and day...guess what my hair is still growing and I am retaining length like crazy. Simple.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I don't think the speed is different...I just can't tell since I'm all natural. The new growth was easier to see when I was relaxed. As for retention, that remains to be seen.

BostonMaria

Aww it's always nostalgic to see old posts from former members

My hair grows the same. Now as a natural I retain more length.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF