Votes: 15 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 29 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

Does pressed hair grow faster than relaxed hair? Most of my friends with pressed hair have very long hair.

Do you think pressed hair grows faster, and why?

msa

Growth rate has nothing to do with whether the hair is pressed or relaxed.

As far as retention is concerned it depends on the health of the hair and how the person treats it, regardless of whether it's pressed or relaxed.

Individually, some peoples hair just can't handle chemicals so using heat on their natural hair allows them to retain better. But it can also work the other way around. It just depends on the person.

locabouthair

No it doesnt. At least in my experience.

I pressed my hair for almost 5 year. My hair grew at the same rate as it does relaxed. I didnt retain much because I kept getting trims and I just didnt have good hair care habits.

Your hair wont grow out of your scalp faster if it's relaxed or pressed. It's more about retention of the length. When I was pressed I didnt know how to take care of my hair. Now that I'm relaxed I know what my hair needs, thanks to the board, and I'm sure it will get longer than ever before:grin:

jamaraa

No, it doesn't. I think people who choose heat over chemicals retain more length usually tho. Why do I think this is? Well, chemicals are far more tricky because they react w/ a person's body chemistry. If someone takes X med or are having hormonal ups and downs (LOL...their period, to be precise), the chemicals can and will react differently. IOW, everytime a woman sits down to get a perm, the time it's left on may be too little or too much.

Heat is a lot less tricky, if you or the person doing it knows what they're doing and aren't going for a "bone straight" hard press.

I think retention for perms is usually less because the tendency of beauticians and their lients to seek bone straight overprocessed hair as well.

Harina

No, I never understood why people believed this. The hair that grows out of your hair is still that kinky, curly, whatever you have texture. Just because you have straigthened you hair will not alter your new growth so that it will come out faster.

Last edited:

locabouthair

Well, I guess I should have asked if pressed hair is less prone to breakage.

I think that might depend on the person.

It took A LOT of heat (and manipulation)to straighten my hair and I always had splits. Maybe if it didnt take so much for my hair to straighten (I have a very tight hair pattern), I would have gotten less splits.

Plus the woman that was pressing my hair burnt it at least twice!:wallbash: I'm still mad because one part she burnt still hasnt grown back:wallbash:

Fine 4s

Growth rate is the same.
In terms of retention my hair was longer with chems because it wasn't so fried!
With presses my hair never past somewhere between SL and APL.
With DR blowouts, a lil' better and best with natural with no heat....

AvaSpeaks

I don't think it matters. One is extreme heat that can damaged the hair stands and another is extreme chemicals that can damaged the hair strand.

vtoodler

It just seems to me that all the fully black celebs have/had pressed hair.

Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett, Aaliyah, and I believe Ashanti.

BlackMasterPiece

Straightening methods have no bearing on growth rate, its simply straightening the hair that has already left your scalp.

As for if pressed hair is less prone to breakage, that totally depends on your specific hair, how skilled you are at pressing and your technique and how educated you are on healthy hair practices.

I will say that my hair is thousands of times stronger longer and thicker as a pressed natural then it was when I was relaxed. This is due to me understanding the importance of heat protectants, deep conditioning regularly, protective styling, gentle combing etc

I could have had long relaxed hair too with these same practices but relaxing my hair just doesn't go along with my values so I'm very happy to see my hair thrive in its natural state:yep:

vtoodler

wow, you are very pretty. I am seriously considering going natural, so I'd appreciate your expertise.

The girls I know who pressed usually had longer/thicker hair than those who relaxed, but on this board that isn't the case. It's all about how you take care of it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I believe I can achieve the same look with natural pressed hair that I did relaxed. I think retention and growth go hand and hand with good hair care practices.:yep:

BlackMasterPiece

wow, you are very pretty. I am seriously considering going natural, so I'd appreciate your expertise.
Awe:blush3: thanks alot if you ever need some tips, I'm here;)

The girls I know who pressed usually had longer/thicker hair than those who relaxed, but on this board that isn't the case. It's all about how you take care of it.
Same here, I think thats because its much easier to just be a straightened natural and retain length especially if you have coarse strands then to be anything else. My hair would require ALOT of TLC to get long and strong relaxed between having to restore strength and moisture whereas when I was a straightened natural I would wash, use a rinse out condish, apply heat protectant, straighten in sections and call it a day. It didn't require much so I think that may be why.......just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Junebug D

Does it grow faster? No. Why would it?

Does it retain more? I'm not convinced.

How you take care of it and of yourself makes the difference. :yep:

aquajoyice

Your hair will grow regardless of what you do to it. It'a ll about retaining length. You can be natural, relaxed, pressed whatever and if you dont take care of your ends your hair will not gain any length.

missann

Thinking....
A pressed head will retain more length b/c a relaxer literally weakens hair.

Michelle Obama has a relaxer.

Last edited:

vtoodler

Does Michelle Obama really have a relaxer? I always thought that she had a press.

I believe that Ashanti also has a press.

jamaraa

If Mrs O has a relaxer, it's a darned good one. Her hair looks pressed to me because she still has texture even while straight. Relaxers (as I said upthread) have a tendency towards taking out all of the texture either by being left on too long or delibrately by the beautician/client wishes.

MrsHdrLe

I agree with the ladies, but in my situation, the single strand knots were tearing my ends up. I noticed since I did a texlax and started wet roller setting and my retention has never been better. :wink2:( also do a very low heat maxiglide (5 or less) to smooth out the ends which keeps the ends from snagging on my fabric)

ceebee3

If Mrs O has a relaxer, it's a darned good one. Her hair looks pressed to me because she still has texture even while straight. Relaxers (as I said upthread) have a tendency towards taking out all of the texture either by being left on too long or delibrately by the beautician/client wishes.

I can't tell the difference, I see many relaxed heads that look exactly like hers.

vtoodler

But Mrs. O lives a very active lifestyle. Can you still have your pressed hair looking good all the time even though you live a very busy life?

vtoodler

How many fully black celebs (no mulatresses) do you know with naturally long hair (no weave)?

Do they have a relaxer or a perm?

I'll start:
Aaliyah--press (I believe)
Ashanti--press (I believe)

MAMATO

I used to faithfully press my hair every single week when I was natural. I did that for about 3 years and it was not a good experience at all. Well the growth was the same, but as for the retention:nono: I basically lost all my curls and my hair went from thick virgin SL-APL to thin, brittle heat damaged SL. I eventually stopped the press and curls before it was too late for the sake of my poor hair:yep: The funny thing is that my relaxed hair can handle a weekly blowdrying without problem, but the teeth of those damn'd hot combs:nono:

MAMATO

BTW, yes Mrs O is relaxed. She said it in one of her interviews a couple months ago. One of our members posted the link at this time. If she still has texture she is probably texlaxed like some of our members here (including me).