Who do you think retains length easier?

summerof1990

Which ladies do you think achieve their hair goal faster? Or better worded retains length easier to see the quickest results. Relaxed or Natural. I know Hair Journeys should not be a race AT ALL and its not about who can do this faster I think it should be about accuracy and practicing to achieve healthy hair. But which If you have any pictures or journeys of whomever,that would be nice to share too =)

The people who take good care of their hair and are very connected to what works well with their hair. Relaxed or natural, it really doesn't matter. You treat your hair like crap it ain't gonna stay on your head point blank period.

My personal experience, is that I retained length easier when I was relaxed even with minimum hair care practices. I shampooed, conditioned with whatever and wrapped it. That was it. I didn't have to trim as often, nor baby my hair. I never tried to reach incredible lengths either. By the time I got to APL I always cut my hair into short Halle Berry style for whatever reason. But I knew it easily grew back, so no big deal.

Retaining length with my natural hair is requring a lot more. But I am enjoying it, learning a lot and making it happen.

summerof1990
there are more factors than relaxed or natural other factors to consider are:

hair texture: thready, silky or cottony

density of strands: fine, medium or thick

porosity

health: in some instances vitamin/mineral deficiences, autoimmune diseases, thyroid issues, and hormonal problems can interfere with growth and/or retention

diet: scalp/hair health starts on the inside the hair and nails get the last of nutrients. a lack of nutrients and water can make hair dry or brittle

hair practices: what does your hair need to retain? each person is different...for some low/no manipulation may not be enough.

I seemed to retain length better when I was relaxed. My hair grew super duper fast when I was relaxing. I cut my hair at the beginning of my sophmore year in highschool to a little above my shoulders, by the last day of school my hair was BSL. I am SO serious. Does that have something to do with metabolism??...lol...because I was only 16...

My personal experience, is that I retained length easier when I was relaxed even with minimum hair care practices. I shampooed, conditioned with whatever and wrapped it. That was it. I didn't have to trim as often, nor baby my hair. I never tried to reach incredible lengths either. By the time I got to APL I always cut my hair into short Halle Berry style for whatever reason. But I knew it easily grew back, so no big deal.

Retaining length with my natural hair is requring a lot more. But I am enjoying it, learning a lot and making it happen.

Really? I was and I'm still considering going natural lol. And u should try aloe vera juice if u dont thanks

I think it depends on the woman and how she takes care of her hair. I remember reading where Gwen Stefani said her hair doesn't grow because of all the bleaching she does to her hair. On that same note I recalled seeing a white woman at the dry cleaners whose hair was so broken and damaged from bleaching you would have had to see a picture to believe it. I think with any hair texture or any race, the key to gorgeous hair and great lengths are moisture, protein balance. Black women have to work a little harder with the moisture but once you get it you too can have hair down to your calves like the Asian lady on soul train back in the day. Anyone remember her or are most you in here pretty young?

I think it depends on the woman and how she takes care of her hair. I remember reading where Gwen Stefani said her hair doesn't grow because of all the bleaching she does to her hair. On that same note I recalled seeing a white woman at the dry cleaners whose hair was so broken and damaged from bleaching you would have had to see a picture to believe it. I think with any hair texture or any race, the key to gorgeous hair and great lengths are moisture, protein balance. Black women have to work a little harder with the moisture but once you get it you too can have hair down to your calves like the Asian lady on soul train back in the day. Anyone remember her or are most you in here pretty young?

The farest i went to soultrain was Shemar Moore and i was like 7 or 8 i think lol but i think i know who u are talking about she used to swirl around and stuff lol
asian women have no problem with retaining they hair is sooo straight.most of them

I don't really know because my hair was very long ( I kept it from APL-MBL) when I had a relaxer. Now that i'm natural, it grows like WEEDS! I have low porosity hair and I permanently color it. It gets dry, but it's strong!

I've had great results being both. However, my hair is longer as a natural. Here's why.
When I was relaxed and had my hair done professionally and took excellent care of it myself, I had long, flowing hair. Even with heat and hot tools, I retained length.

As a natural I have longer hair because I take good care of it and I am not using heat on it. No curling irons, straightening etc.... no blow drying. I believe not using these tools has helped me to retain even more length than I, otherwise, would.

Really? I was and I'm still considering going natural lol. And u should try aloe vera juice if u dont thanks

Not discouraging anyone from going natural or staying relaxed. There are pros and cons to both. And I don't know what your hair is like so we can have completely different experiences.

But based on your original question of which was EASIER to retain, it's not a comparison for me. I love my hair but as a natural nothing about my hair is easier.

And yes I use AVG. I have several bottles in the fridge. :lol:

I will say I retain better length now since I went natural. When I was relax my hair had a problem with dryness and it use to break a little on my ends. (I moisture, did protein treatments, and etc. It was still breaking little by little) I did receive some growth when I was relax, but not as better when I went natural. Plus, it much less maintains when you go natural.

BrightEyes, you just made me smile...really hard

Do you mean this piece of soul train nostalgia?

For me right now as a relaxed head.

I've been natural most of my life, I've done this hair journey texlaxed, coloured, highlighted, BKT-ed, henna-ed, and straight up natural. I don't know if its the cumulative effect of everything I've learned, but this is the easiest time I've had with my hair and it really is growing the way I want so I'll stick to it.

People who take care of their hair, plain and simple. Certain things work for different people.

I didn't know how to take care of my hair until I embarked on a healthy hair journey, which started in 2007. I got my last relaxer then. I did a lot of research and when I got a job I was able to invest in my hair care needs. It took me a while to learn and figure my hair out but I got there and I've been doing fine and dandy. I've retained all of my growth this year :yep: I haven't had to do any major trims (in total I've probably trimmed like >1/2 inch). I'm good :)

I remember her! memories #sigh

I sure do remember that Soul Train chic. My mouth would hang open at the wonder of her super long hair! Those were some good old days.

My hair was easier to retain length relaxed no question. But that's because I relied on my hair stylist to wash, condition, blow dry it and to trim it periodically. Back then my hair was MBL. But you know what it wasn't MY hair -- it was the stylist's hair.

The day I decided to be happy with the crazy curls God gave me was the day my hair became mine. Thankfully I can grow my hair to BSL while being lazy. Now I want TBL so doing right by my hair is critical.

Back