Lacio Lacio with no MINK OIL?Can I add some?

clever

So I just received my 2 7 oz bottles of lacio lacio but there in no mink oil in them.:ohwell:Can I just cop a bottle and pour a few drops in?This just feels like a watered down drug store moisturizer to me.

I just wanna throw it out

Missi

thats wat i did and felt: my lacio w/o mink oil felt like watered-down generic dollar store brand body lotion: it did absolutely nothin for my hair but make it even more less untangleble (<- don't think thats a real word: Lol)

clever

clever

Mine doesnt have it either...purchased at local bss....am I missing out on something?
Yes ma'am.IMO,lacio lacio w/o mink oil shouldn't be called lacio lacio.

I see mink oil is a little on the expensive side,maybe thats why they stopped adding it.

Last edited:

MissKim

I'm so new to the Lacio Lacio. I ordered this from Amazon and had no clue about mink oil. Does the label just read mink oil or is it called something more technical? Thanks!

BTW, who sells Lacio with mink oil?

So I just received my 2 7 oz bottles of lacio lacio but there in no mink oil in them.:ohwell:Can I just cop a bottle and pour a few drops in?This just feels like a watered down drug store moisturizer to me.

I just wanna throw it out

queen_t

BTW, who sells Lacio with mink oil?

I'd like to know this as well. I just ran out of my year supply (yes, it's that serious) and I noticed the difference right away..I bought some at the local bss and it's not the same. I need mine with some MINK OIL!!!! :pullhair: HELP!!

Hair Peace

OK ladies...in a minute I'm about to call/email the company and get some answers! :grin: I'll need to brush up on my Spanish though if I actualy plan to do it!:yep:

Flavia

Miss_Jetsetter

They no longer use mink oil as an ingredient because the FDA banned it (I believe)

I stockpiled the ones with the mink oil from this Dominican spot I would always get my products from. My hair did not like the one sans the mink oil.

clever

I have been looking at that mink oil for about 2 weeks :perplexed kind of scared to order it. I'm not really sure how much you should add to the lacio lacio and I am scared it will cause some weird reaction with the current ingredients.
I couldn't even get past the smell(farm animal attacks type of smell)I may as well toss it.

JerriBlank

I got lacio lacio with mink oil form shopdr.com
On the website,it didn't say it had mink oil,but it says it on the bottle i got:yep:

queen_t

Re: Lacio Lacio with no MINK OIL? Can I add some?

I couldn't even get past the smell(farm animal attacks type of smell)I may as well toss it.

Well after doing a little research to find out where mink oil is derived, I came up on this:

Traditionally, mink oil was collected after minks were slaughtered for their pelts. During the cleaning process, the thick layer of fat would be stripped away and rendered into mink oil. This method of extraction is still the most common, although some cosmetics companies harvest small amounts of mink oil from live minks. This is done by inserting a needle into the abdomen, an area with large amounts of fat, and extracting a small amount of fat. This technique is not necessarily more humane, however, as many mink farms have notoriously poor living conditions.

Yeah, ummm....I love my Lacio, but I'm probably gonna have to find a cruelty-free alternative.

Apparently the article also said that the moisturizing agent that makes up the mink oil is
palmitoleic acid, an essential fatty acid which is also produced in the human body.

Several botanical sources are actually higher in palmitoleic acid, including Sea Buckthorn and macadamia nut oil. People seeking cruelty free sources of palmitoleic acid should look for moisturizers with these ingredients.

Macadamia oil is an excellent botanical replacement for mink oil.

Do you really want the oil from this little creature?? :barf:

He sho got some purty, shiny hurr, but Imma have to mix my Lacio with some macadamia nut oil!!!

Last edited:

Hair Peace

OK, so does anybody know where to get macadamia nut oil from?

Well after doing a little research to find out where mink oil is derived, I came up on this:

Traditionally, mink oil was collected after minks were slaughtered for their pelts. During the cleaning process, the thick layer of fat would be stripped away and rendered into mink oil. This method of extraction is still the most common, although some cosmetics companies harvest small amounts of mink oil from live minks. This is done by inserting a needle into the abdomen, an area with large amounts of fat, and extracting a small amount of fat. This technique is not necessarily more humane, however, as many mink farms have notoriously poor living conditions.

Yeah, ummm....I love my Lacio, but I'm probably gonna have to find a cruelty-free alternative.

Apparently the article also said that the moisturizing agent that makes up the mink oil is palmitoleic acid, an essential fatty acid which is also produced in the human body.

Several botanical sources are actually higher in palmitoleic acid, including Sea Buckthorn and macadamia nut oil. People seeking cruelty free sources of palmitoleic acid should look for moisturizers with these ingredients.

He sho got some purty, shiny hurr, but Imma have to mix my Lacio with some macadamia nut oil!!!

clever

Apparently the article also said that the moisturizing agent that makes up the mink oil is palmitoleic acid, an essential fatty acid which is also produced in the human body.

Aww,poor little things.Thanks for the info.Anyway,I havn't used lacio lacio in a few months and I don't plan on re purchasing.There are leave ins on the market.

clever

I got lacio lacio with mink oil form shopdr.com
On the website,it didn't say it had mink oil,but it says it on the bottle i got:yep:
When I purchased from them,the first time I got a bottle with the mink oil.The next time,I ordered the 2 larger bottles and they were like watered down lotion(no mink oil).So the last time I ordered from them I specifically requested the formula w/ mink.When I got it,the lable listed the ingredients but it was not the original formula:ohwell:.I believe they poured the "new" version into the old bottle.

Eisani

Love Macadamia oil! Never thought to add to leave-in...

The Lacio2 w/mink oil has DEFINITELY been discontinued. Any that you run across now is basically just a run-off. I'm wondering if they still sell the original in DR :rolleyes: I'm seriously considering a trip specifically for hair products-it's just that serious.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Love Macadamia oil! Never thought to add to leave-in...

The Lacio2 w/mink oil has DEFINITELY been discontinued. Any that you run across now is basically just a run-off. I'm wondering if they still sell the original in DR :rolleyes: I'm seriously considering a trip specifically for hair products-it's just that serious.

Eisani, if or when you decide to go, I would like to place an oder for a case of Lacio-Lacio, purdy plzzzz:blush3:

MissKim

Thanks for sharing. I will find an alternative cruelty free, non animal harming product to add to my lacio.

Aww,poor little things.Thanks for the info.Anyway,I havn't used lacio lacio in a few months and I don't plan on re purchasing.There are leave ins on the market.