Mink Oil

Dayjoy

Old School Member
There has been a lot of talk about Lacio Lacio and the reasons for the omission of mink oil in the ingredient list. I just noticed that my bottle of Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion has mink oil listed as the 17th ingredient (far above shea butter, by the way). Does anyone have any mink oil info?

seraphim712

There has been a lot of talk about Lacio Lacio and the reasons for the omission of mink oil in the ingredient list. I just noticed that my bottle of Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion has mink oil listed as the 17th ingredient (far above shea butter, by the way). Does anyone have any mink oil info?

Got this from wikipedia:

Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under their skins. This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is skinned and is then rendered into mink oil. Mink oil is a source of palmitoleic acid which possesses physical properties similar to human sebum, therefore mink oil is used in several medical and cosmetic products. Mink oil is also favored for treating and preserving leather.
Botanical alternatives to mink oil as a source of palmitoleic acid include macadamia nut oil (Macadamia integrifolia) and Sea Buckthorn oil (Hippophae rhamnoides), both of which contain a larger percentage of palmitoleic acid (22 and 40% respectively) than does mink oil (17%

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks alot seraphim 712! I wonder if these ingredients (macadamia nut oiland Sea Buckthorn oil) are things to look for in our hair care products. Also, it has been said that it is now illegal to use mink oil in the US. Is this true? What's up with the Lacio Lacio and Kids Organics?

Missi

thats exactly wat i thought wen I think of MINK oil: i thought of the animal: well i'll make sure wen i buy lacio lacio: for it not to have mink oil in it. I eat meat to survive (poor animals):lick: but I don't need mink to survive (sorry Minkies):nono: