just got my phytospecific relaxer

atlantatiffany

just wanted to let u ladies know this is the best relaxer ever. for a while i had been using affirm faithfully, but since so many women loved the phyto relaxer i decided to try it. just so u know i have extremely thick hair and i used the index 1 relaxer and it straightned my hair without any problems. for all u atlanta ladies i purchased my relaxer from sephora at lenox. they carry some but not all of the line.

Faith

atlantatiffany said:
just wanted to let u ladies know this is the best relaxer ever. for a while i had been using affirm faithfully, but since so many women loved the phyto relaxer i decided to try it. just so u know i have extremely thick hair and i used the index 1 relaxer and it straightned my hair without any problems. for all u atlanta ladies i purchased my relaxer from sephora at lenox. they carry some but not all of the line.
How long did you leave it in for?
Thanks to Jen's experience I decided to try it myself...thanks for the heads up ladies :)

atlantatiffany

um i can't remember the exact time the relaxer was in but it was around the normal time u would leave any relaxer. my stylist applied the relaxer for me. also i noticed i had more body and thickness.

KAddy

Oh you all have made the Phyto Pusha Happy!! :grin:

Seriously though, This is a great relaxer and I knew that once people tried it they would be hooked.

EXSQUISIT

Sorry ladies! I just got back on here. Well the experience was wonderful to say the least. I did the unthinkable and conditioner washed the day before the relaxer and blow dryed my hair with a comb attachment. It didn't burn AT ALL. I'm shocked out of my mind because I burn even when I make sure I don't do anything to irritate my scalp. This was my first self relaxing experience. I did everything by the directions exactly because I'm a big chicken. I did it all at once with 4 sections doing each one as Southerngirl explained. I left the relaxer on for a total of 20 mins then began washing it out. It came out perfectly straight. I'm used to straight because my stylist (used to be stylist I may add) used to have it so slick I looked bald, but the difference was, it wasn't slicked down. It was very full shiny and sleek looking. The softness was indescribable.

I got a little scared one time tho because I kept seeing these little white egg shell like specs in my hair. I neutralized four times and I knew it was all gone. I still don't know where the specs came from, but when I did my daughter's touchup today with it, she had she same thing in hers. All in all it was wonderful. I'm still shocked I didn't burn. I am a 3c and I used index 2. I have pics in my album if you care to view them. :)

KAddy

Your hair looks great as usual.

I don't know about those specs, but I am glad you had a great phytorelaxer experience.

amazin9

ms_jennifer said:
Sorry ladies! I just got back on here. Well the experience was wonderful to say the least. I did the unthinkable and conditioner washed the day before the relaxer and blow dryed my hair with a comb attachment. It didn't burn AT ALL. I'm shocked out of my mind because I burn even when I make sure I don't do anything to irritate my scalp. This was my first self relaxing experience. I did everything by the directions exactly because I'm a big chicken. I did it all at once with 4 sections doing each one as Southerngirl explained. I left the relaxer on for a total of 20 mins then began washing it out. It came out perfectly straight. I'm used to straight because my stylist (used to be stylist I may add) used to have it so slick I looked bald, but the difference was, it wasn't slicked down. It was very full shiny and sleek looking. The softness was indescribable.

I got a little scared one time tho because I kept seeing these little white egg shell like specs in my hair. I neutralized four times and I knew it was all gone. I still don't know where the specs came from, but when I did my daughter's touchup today with it, she had she same thing in hers. All in all it was wonderful. I'm still shocked I didn't burn. I am a 3c and I used index 2. I have pics in my album if you care to view them. :)
I have had the egg shell pieces in my hair too. It is part of the relaxer because egg is a big ingredient. It didn't cause any problems, just freaked me out at first...

EXSQUISIT

amazin9 said:
I have had the egg shell pieces in my hair too. It is part of the relaxer because egg is a big ingredient. It didn't cause any problems, just freaked me out at first...
Phew! I'm glad to hear that! I thought I had screwed up majorly somehow!:lol:

MonaLisa

KAddy said:
Do it Do it Do it!!! :lol:

Yes....the PUSHA....has...been quite busy!! LOL.

I got my touch up on 12/31/04 with Phyto and I simply love it...so the Pusha....was dead on correct! Push on playa...lol!

Allandra

This really does sound like a great relaxer. Is it only meant for folks that want their hair bone straight?

Ayeshia

Allandra said:
This really does sound like a great relaxer. Is it only meant for folks that want their hair bone straight?
i dont think so...i think sengschick texturizes her hair with it. dont hold me on that though.

KAddy

Hey Allandra,

Sengs does use Index 1 to texturize her hair.
sengschick said:
Y'all ladies don't play when it comes to the hair /images/graemlins/laugh.gif! Thanks Mona for the testimonials! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay Melodee, I'm not a great person to ask b/c I was natural before and this is the only relaxer I've used since making the switch. My previous experiences were in my early teens, so they are foggy. But I was so afraid to relax that I did lots of research and was happy w/what I learned and confident in the product.

First of all the pH was lower than average (I'm sticking by Index 1 being ~9.0, but even @ 11, that's better than 14!). Then I was reallly impressed by the fact that the base was natural (I'm an organic girl) and 'chemical free" (the inductor is a chemical of course), so I figured it had to be less harsh on the hair. I also wanted to avoid that no-lye curl lock, so the fact that this has a Guanidine Carbonate base was another plus and eliminated that worry (I've corrected a few times w/o incident). I also started using other Phyto products and found them to be of superior quality, so I trusted the relaxer.

Now, having used the relaxer I find that at no point does my hair feel weak. I recall from past relaxing that my hair felt really fragile after processing and for the next few weeks actually. It broke more when wet etc. For some reason after I rinse the relaxer my hair feels better, healthier even. It's buttery soft and still really strong, it's like I had a conditioning treatment instead of a relaxer. The other thing I really like is that my hair always feel hydrated and I have a lot of body in my hair. It never has that permed lifeless look or feel. My other big thing is burning, every perm I ever had made me burn quickly and not once have I had any such issue w/Phyto. That alone was major for me.

I use Index 1 b/c my strands are fine but I like the fact that my hair is voluminous, so I only texturize w/it. I've had it applied by a stylist twice and just touched-up/correct for the first time myself. I think if you like ultra straight relaxed hair this is not for you. But if you like hair that moves... this is it /images/graemlins/smile.gif . And that's not to be confused w/the fact that your hair isn't str8 or is underprocessed.