• 3c/4a mix

Votes: 65 16.0%
  • 4a

Votes: 53 13.1%
  • 4a/b mix

Votes: 135 33.3%
  • 4b

Votes: 101 24.9%
  • I don't know or Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 5.7%

• Total voters

msa

:lachen: I can't take it anymore.

Henceforward, I'm not saying anyone is a 4a or 4b. I'm just going to say type 4 and leave it at that.

Nonie

Ok :)

See... now that makes me think that the difference between 4a and 4b isn't based on coil diameter. :scratchch

What is it? :wallbash: lol

I'm afraid I insist it is. Look at these puffs:

Attachments

• phony puff  vs real puff close up.jpg
    phony puff vs real puff close up.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 92

Nonie

Here's another comparison that shows you why I was saying MizzBrit was 4B (from her album pics) or at least 4A/B coz this is what I think 4A afros look like:

Attachments

• Another comparison.jpg
    Another comparison.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 100

Nonie

One last comparison and then I shall shut up, using real life examples and not a phony puff this time. :giggle:

Attachments

• WNG comparisons.jpg
    WNG comparisons.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 123

Neith

One last comparison and then I shall shut up, using real life examples and not a phony puff this time. :giggle:

but see... this is what I'm talking about.

From the same two heads of hair...

The one on the left is MissAlyssa's.

The one on the right is mine (they stick to my blanket :giggle: The two clumps on the left I tried to stretch out a little bit to make a coil, but they frizzed and exploded).

Both are coils smaller than a penspring.

They are definitely around the same diameter.

Why is one 4b and one 4a?

Not saying that there is no difference. but why?

:spinning:

Last edited:

Daughter

UK Blak
interesting thread
so glad i joined LHCF..im learning so much about 4b hair
if this isnt 4b hair.please correct me
i read thru the thread where someone said if you get waves with product you are not 4b:perplexed(see pic 3)

1st pic-just took out my extension braids
2nd pic-puff
3rd-puff with eco gel
4th-back of puff without product
5th-freshly washed damp hair taken out of plaits

I might just have found my hair twin!!!

tkj25

Henceforward, I'm not saying anyone is a 4a or 4b. I'm just going to say type 4 and leave it at that.

I think that's a good idea. :yep:

i couldn't agree more:)

The one on the right is mine (they stick to my blanket :giggle: The two clumps on the left I tried to stretch out a little bit to make a coil, but they frizzed and exploded).

that's it! :lachen::lachen::lachen: i'm done. 4a & 4b are the same. we are describing characteristics of the same hair type/coil pattern.

curl hydration, curl diameter, curl style are some of the things that i think are making people think these are 2 separate textures ... among others ... can't we just agree to a type 4 and move on. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

AfroKink

I would add that on the right the coils/clumps/tubes appear to go deeper, like they start close to the root and extend through the ends. On the left the coils/clumps/tubes begin closer to the ends of the hair.

It looks like the hair to the left is the same size as the penspring, if not a little bigger. But if you say your strands are smaller then the penspring I'll believe you because you've actually seen it in person.

Maybe the differences have to do with the number of hairs on our heads that are the different sizes? Maybe more of mine are the tiny coils that are on too the far right in my picture, and more of your coils are the larger ones to the left on your picture?

And then I know you said your hair is coarse. Mine is fine. I wonder if that effects it too.

Looking at your hair I would have said 4a/b. I don't think 4a/b has really been defined in this thread. I know it was said that 4b is small than a penspring and 4a is penspring to pencil size. But where is 4a/b?

sylver2

exactly..that's why a lot of threads i made looking for info requested type 4 with no 3's anywhere.
thats why i just always say im type 4a/b.

Nonie

that's it! :lachen::lachen::lachen: i'm done. 4a & 4b are the same. we are describing characteristics of the same hair type/coil pattern.

curl hydration, curl diameter, curl style are some of the things that i think are making people think these are 2 separate textures ... among others ... can't we just agree to a type 4 and move on. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

exactly..that's why a lot of threads i made looking for info requested type 4 with no 3's anywhere.
thats why i just always say im type 4a/b.

I'm with you guys. :yep: Besides, before coming to hair forums, all hair that could make an afro was the same to me. I had never heard of WNGs or clumping. All hair like that where I come from was combed out into a Bernic Mac afro or pulled back into a puff pony that was also combed out. I didn't know it was called type 4, but it encompassed all hair from type 4A-4Z

mscocoface

So the new type is 4 PERIOD. If someone wants to get techical 4 EVERYTHING PERIOD.

Works for me.
:yep: I am a 4 EVERYTHING.

Daughter

UK Blak
I'm with you guys. :yep: Besides, before coming to hair forums, all hair that could make an afro was the same to me. I had never heard of WNGs or clumping. All hair like that where I come from was combed out into a Bernic Mac afro or pulled back into a puff pony that was also combed out. I didn't know it was called type 4, but it encompassed all hair from type 4A-4Z

Psst - what's a WNG?!

Yeah I'm with you. I'm down for just calling all the kinky stuff type 4, forget a/b/c!

anon123

I just realized that we are even more screwed than we thought when I opened up two pens and found that . . . the pen springs were different sizes! :rofl: I quit! In an alternate universe, the pen springs themselves are trying to classify each other into size categories. :rofl:

Attachments

• pensprings.JPG
    pensprings.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Neith

I would add that on the right the coils/clumps/tubes appear to go deeper, like they start close to the root and extend through the ends. On the left the coils/clumps/tubes begin closer to the ends of the hair.

It looks like the hair to the left is the same size as the penspring, if not a little bigger. But if you say your strands are smaller then the penspring I'll believe you because you've actually seen it in person.

Maybe the differences have to do with the number of hairs on our heads that are the different sizes? Maybe more of mine are the tiny coils that are on too the far right in my picture, and more of your coils are the larger ones to the left on your picture?

And then I know you said your hair is coarse. Mine is fine. I wonder if that effects it too.

Looking at your hair I would have said 4a/b. I don't think 4a/b has really been defined in this thread. I know it was said that 4b is small than a penspring and 4a is penspring to pencil size. But where is 4a/b?

The coils on the left I tried to pull apart to make a coil so that you could compare it to the spring that way, but when I tried to pull it, it turned into a frizzy mass. The coils on the right are undisturbed. All my coils are roughly the same size.

Yeah, my hair is really coarse. I'm sure that does make a difference too.

I dunno. I still don't think that there is a big difference curl diameter wise in our hair. Gut feeling.

I just realized that we are even more screwed than we thought when I opened up two pens and found that . . . the pen springs were different sizes! :rofl: I quit! In an alternate universe, the pen springs themselves are trying to classify each other into size categories. :rofl:

Oh, no... I didn't even think of that! :lol:

Man!

I'll take pics with the hair next to a ruler then :lachen:

I'm really curious about it now. Is the difference between 4a and 4b really curl diameter. If it's not that, then what? :wallbash:

Do we just all clump differently, but have similar size coils?

hmmm...

DarkVictory

Regarding the bold, because then when they post a thread about their "4b" hair it makes them feel good when everyone runs in, oohs and aaahs over their obvious curls, and tells them they're actually a type 3 and have good hair.

IMO, I think most people
feel that 4b and lower isn't an attractive hair type to
claim...Most people would prefer coils/curls any day...
over no coils, coarse hair...

A hun'ned plus entries and some naturals are even leaving the thread more confused than when they came in.

Okay, I've got it now: some disown coils/curls they do have fishing for compliments, some claim coils/curls they don't have hoping for a more desirable texture, and some of us can't make sense of it all but lurk on hair type threads hoping to get a clue. All clear!

Seriously, thanks to all for posting pictures and explanations. Very informative thread!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
This hair typing is worse than calculus, yikes..

It really shouldn't even be that hard, if you ask me. If your hair has type 1,2,3,4 characteristics, then you will just be that type. My hair has kinky coily curly characteristics, so I am a type 4. Pow!!! And there ya have it. Simple and straight to the point.

cocoaluv

me? a 4a? hmm who would of thought:ohwell:
i will take a pic of a WNG to help furthur determine..
you mean to tell me i keep my hair stretched so much im loosing all my lil curlies..sigh.

Your hair looks like how I remember mine to be when I was natural as a child and I always thought I was a 4A with some 4B thrown in but when I read that you said you were a 4B I got confused as heck.

Exactly. I know I'm a mix but the 4B pics and descriptions I am seeing here doesnt describe me at all so I'm going to stick with saying I have type 4 hair.

Neith

Right now we're saying "It's all type 4 hair"

but I know like HECK...

In a few days/weeks/months or whatever, there is going to be another thread like this. :lachen:

I don't think it's wrong to just want to know. People like to understand the things that they have an interest in. We are going to be asking questions about it until it's actually explained.

Two categories for type 4 just isn't enough, now everyone is fine with just having one category?

:rofl:

It's funny how this type of "debate" ebbs and flows like the tides.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Right now we're saying "It's all type 4 hair"

but I know like HECK...

In a few days/weeks/months or whatever, there is going to be another thread like this. :lachen:

I don't think it's wrong to just want to know. People like to understand the things that they have an interest in. We are going to be asking questions about it until it's actually explained.

Two categories for type 4 just isn't enough, now everyone is fine with just having one category?

:rofl:

It's funny how this type of "debate" ebbs and flows like the tides.

Because after so much debate, it's like fug it. Just call it all type 4 cause people will never agree. Hair typing does not deserve a dissertation. People will have various opinions on it, so why not agree on the most common part. That it IS type 4 hair.

I can understand the need for hair typing (in relation to what works for what type of hair), but other than that it's like race...a social construct developed by man.

Don't let it divide you.

Neith

Because after so much debate, it's like fug it. Just call it all type 4 cause people will never agree. Hair typing does not deserve a dissertation. People will have various opinions on it, so why not agree on the most common part. That it IS type 4 hair.

I can understand the need for hair typing (in relation to what works for what type of hair), but other than that it's like race...a social construct developed by man.

Don't let it divide you.

I'm not letting it divide me.

If anything, people have been quick to tell me that my hair isn't 4b or quite like theirs.

I'm just saying. I would like to understand it.

I understand the differences between 1a, 1b, 1c. 2a, 2b, 2c. And 3a, 3b, 3c. I understand why they are different on a physical level.

I don't think that sweeping it under the rug and acting like there are no differences is the answer. Like I said before... undoubtedly, this issue will arise again.

Lord knows I can also see WHY one would be tempted to do such a thing. It's frustrating and we go all around in cirlcles. :lachen:

I think it's SAD that some people let hair typing come between them.

I don't look at it as some sort of hierarchy. I don't have those types of issues.

All I want to do is to be able to understand kinky hair types the way that I understand ALL the others. ESPECIALLY since I have kinky hair myself.

Anew

It really shouldn't even be that hard, if you ask me. If your hair has type 1,2,3,4 characteristics, then you will just be that type. My hair has kinky coily curly characteristics, so I am a type 4. Pow!!! And there ya have it. Simple and straight to the point.
lol, pretty much

bablou00

This hair typing is so exhausting. I find it even more exhausting when people who clearly have type 3 hair or maybe 4a is trying to tell someone who clearly has 4b that they dont. If you say your 4b your 4b. Why does it matter if someone you dont even know tells you what you are. I will forever think my hair is 4b. It laughs at me when I try to use gel and water to lay it down. WnG's are more of a style not just something I can do with my hair. My hair looks nor feels anything like my sisters who is what people classify as 4a. My hair doesnt feel like hers or lays down like hers so therefore Im in another category. Thats my 2cents and Im sticking to it...lol!!!

AfroKink

Oh dang! I'll have you measure the diameter of my penspring for you all!

But the thing is... someone like the OP has kinky coily curly characteristics too and she considers herself a type 3! Her hair looks kinky than yours and yours looks silkier than hers. Hair types are interesting

Hair typing is important to me because things that people 4a and below do to their hair leads to disasterous consequences for my 4b hair. I read the advice, look at the persons hair and then decide if it is applicable to me or not.

msa

I don't think that sweeping it under the rug and acting like there are no differences is the answer. Like I said before... undoubtedly, this issue will arise again.

Lord knows I can also see WHY one would be tempted to do such a thing. It's frustrating and we go all around in cirlcles. :lachen:

It's not "the" answer, but it is "an" answer.

We can't agree, we're never going to agree, and just like the thousand million threads on "excessive" shedding, we will have countless more threads on hair type. Such is life.

It's just too much for me now so I'm sticking with type 4.