Is there such a thing as trained hair....

SimplyBlessed

I hear so much debate about training your hair with heat...is there such a thing as heat trained hair?? Before LHCF I use to get str8 hair sew ins all the time and to blend the front of my hair I would straighten the front of my hair A LOT :nono:...Well now that i'm trying to actually embrace my curls and take care of my hair...the front of my hair is str8 or as some would say heat trained....

IMO I do not think there is such a thing, I think its actually damaged, because from the looks of mine, I would not dare want all my hair like that....

so ladies what do u think...heat trained or damaged?? My vote is for damage...

msa

Heat trained=heat damaged.

If it won't revert back, then it's damaged.

If it straightens easily and reverts back with no problem, then you're taking great care of your hair and know exactly what to do to keep it healthy.

I don't believe in heat "training".

MizzBrown

Why do so many take pride in this?

"Oh, my hair is trained so it will fall this way every time.." :perplexed:

Lucky's Mom

Our hair has a 'memory'.... in the way we part, the way we wear our hair.

So - In terms of training - our hair easily remembers.
In terms of heat, it is easy to 'train' hair - and not damage it.

I think that it takes practice and time.

SimplyBlessed

Why do so many take pride in this?

"Oh, my hair is trained so it will fall this way every time.." :perplexed:

Idk either...trust me it is not a good feeling when the front of ur hair is straight and the rest curly :wallbash: lol darn those str8 hair sew ins, when I was getting them faithfully I was happy that my hair was holding straightening, but now that I have joined LHCF I see there are heathy ways to straighten hair and have it last...

TryaGAINpearl

I think there is a big difference in your hair being heat trained and heat damaged. My hair is natural but due to straightening it is trained to straighten easily. My hair DOES curl as a natural would. But when I press or flat-iron I do so with no trouble. One pass wit the flat iron and it is straight. So in fact my hair is heat trained. Growing up I went to a great stylist who made sure so use heat protectants AND now that I am a DIYer I work hart to protect my hair from heat damage.

In your case I would argue unfortunately you have gotten heat damage because the hair doesn't revert back.

NikStarrr

You can definitely damage the natural curl with heat---but that doesn't necessarily mean your hair itself is damaged. That's why I prefer the term "heat stretched". Because it's possible to have hair that has lost some of its curl from wearing it straight regularly, but the hair itself is healthy, no splits, not breaking, still growing long, etc...

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I say damaged. My mom is natural and went and got her flat ironed back in Feb09 and til this day she still has str8 pieces here and there.

gymfreak336

You can definitely damage the natural curl with heat---but that doesn't necessarily mean your hair itself is damaged. That's why I prefer the term "heat stretched". Because it's possible to have hair that has lost some of its curl from wearing it straight regularly, but the hair itself is healthy, no splits, not breaking, still growing long, etc...

I believe this to be true too. I have a friend of mine that transistioned using heat and now her all natural hair is long and beautiful. It still curls up, just not as much. She prefers to wear it straight so no real loss

mstar

Luxury bacon
I agree. To my mind, saying that all heat-stretched hair is "heat damaged," is the same as saying all relaxed hair is "chemically damaged." Yes, the bonds of the hair have been broken (to make it straight) but that doesn't mean that the hair can't still be healthy.

I'm considering having my hair heat trained. I've heard of a stylist here in LA who is expert at heat training using press & curls. She would know how to take care of my hair during the process.

Interesting thread, I did a search for heat damage and found this. I have often wondered this myself. I do believe theres such a thing is training the hair but I still think theres an extent of damage involved although Im not sure. I notice my hair does not hold its curl well while I naturally have super curly hair. It is definitely from the frequent flat ironing but my hair is not excessively breaking nor is it dry. I wish I could find some scientific article on this because I really want to know excatly whats happening mechanically to the hair when this supposed 'training" happens. If its protein loss, then it is damage.....

truequeen06

Before I started doing my own hair, I was able to have heat trained hair. I could keep my hair straight for weeks at a time. As soon as I wet it, it shrunk right back up with no loose curls or straight parts. It took years for me to get to this point though.

Then I went to college and over did it and ended up with extremely loose curls and what I consider heat damage.

Unfortunately what you described sounds like heat damage.

Aviah

I agree. To my mind, saying that all heat-stretched hair is "heat damaged," is the same as saying all relaxed hair is "chemically damaged." Yes, the bonds of the hair have been broken (to make it straight) but that doesn't mean that the hair can't still be healthy.

I'm considering having my hair heat trained. I've heard of a stylist here in LA who is expert at heat training using press & curls. She would know how to take care of my hair during the process.

I agree to an extent, as there are parts of the front of my hair that will not curl at the ends as much as they used to, but it is not breaking, split, etc... However I do consider it heat-damaged, as heat has broken down a part of my hair that I cannot reverse and it doesn't hang the natural way it used to. As for relaxers being chemical damage... That's a gray area for me...