Transitioning from Heat Trained to Relaxed, Advice?

Zay-neey

Ive been heat training from August 2011. Im planning to relax now, i know not to relax my previously heat trained hair, because of the extent it is trained.

only thing is im not sure if i should transition to natural, cut the damage, then relax

or would it be okay to wait about 3 months, and then just relax my roots, cutting the heat trained hair little by little

What do you guys think i should do? TIA

(i made a thread about this yesterday, but i dont think i was specific enough, so i decided to make a new thread )

Raspberry

I don't know that much about heat training but does your hair curl/coil up when you wash it? How is it damaged? Is it super dry and/or breaking?

JJamiah

Becareful, please make sure to do a protein treatment before relaxing. I know my cousin relaxed her heat trained hair and the hair just melted off :(

Zay-neey

I don't know that much about heat training but does your hair curl/coil up when you wash it? How is it damaged? Is it super dry and/or breaking?
Raspberry no my hair doesnt curl up.. my natural texture is 4a, and now my hair is wavy when wet . my hair breaks but not alot. my hair can feel a little dry at times, but not super dry.

do you have any wet pics?

(miss stress)no wet hair pics, but i i have a pic of my hair air dried.. it is attached. My wet hair is wavy and easily straightened, as in putting it in a ponytail will make it straight.

Attachments

• LHCF.JPG
    LHCF.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Whimsy

I would not put a relaxer in hair that damaged if I were you. Sounds like a recipe for a bald head.

Let your natural texture grow in some and try to do tons of protein and moisture treatments. Then you can just do touch ups to "transition" to relaxed.

Zay-neey

I would not put a relaxer in hair that damaged if I were you. Sounds like a recipe for a bald head.

Let your natural texture grow in some and try to do tons of protein and moisture treatments. Then you can just do touch ups to "transition" to relaxed.

thanks Whimsy ! i'll probably let my natural texture grow in for 3 months. and then ill relax the roots only.

my hair is protein sensitive, so i cant do a hardcore protein treatment,
ive been doing light protein weekly since i started heat training, it used to make my hair feel really soft, but now it doesnt. Idk if that means my hair doesnt need anymore protein?

WhataDoll

I don't think 3 months would be long enough wait. If I were you I'd stay away from relaxers until you had enough ng to relax that losing the heat trained ends wouldn't bother you.

The reason I say this is because your hair appears to be weakened. There is good chance that when you relax the heat damaged parts will break and fall off and with only three months of NG, that is not going to leave you with much hair at all. JMHO.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Why not BTK instead? It looks like it might be better for you than relaxers, and you get to wear your hair straight. I've never used one, so my knowledge is very limited.