Heat Trained hair and Working out

Britt

For those of you who are heat trained, how do you maintain your hair if you work out? Is working out counterproductive to heat trained hair? For example, if I were to transition and wanted to flat iron my new growth and then decided to work out where I'd obviously sweat in my head a lot... wouldn't that ruin my flat iron job? I'm still trying to grasp my mind about heat trained hair. It isn't up until recently that I really learned about it from people irl - tho they don't call it 'heat trained', that's when I read up on it on the forums.

Similarly, when I stretch my relaxer and get my roots blown, if I work out - it's a total wrap for my roots. Since I plan to start working out again starting Monday, i'm a bit concerned about how to deal w/ my hair when I'm stretching my relaxers or if I decided to take the plunge and go natural.

MaryJane3000

I'm not heat trained but I am transitioning and working out.

Put your hair in a high tight ponytail maybe spray the roots a bit with some dry shampoo and put on a sweatband. The goal is to keep tension on the roots so that after they get wet they don't have room to revert. Once you get home, set it in tight rollers for a little bit or use clips to hold the hair taut and you should be good to go.

chitowndcgal

Good question. I am not heat trained, I am relaxed. But, none of my heat trained friends work out which is sad! I workout 4-5 times a week, currently coaching and training a 1/2 marathon program. I stretch my relaxers to about 11 weeks and I sweat heavily in my hair. I don't see you you couldn't sweat out heat or blow-dried straightened roots. Even my relaxed hair gets poofy..you know like if you just air dry it. I wear headbands and ponytails while working out and bun about 90% of the time. It's hard to wear your hair down in a style and also work out alot without a lot of manipulation, etc...in my opinion. Would be interested in what others have to say!

Britt

Thanks! Im currently barely neck length since I've cut off my hair. I have just enough hair to pull into a small ponytail.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

kandake

I have a friend who's a straight natural. I think the length of time you've been a straight natural may play a role. It's been over 5 years for her and at this point her hair barely reverts. I think her hair has been completely altered by the use of heat over these 5+ years.

However, when she works out she wraps her hair and puts on a scarf. She doesn't take it down until it's dry.

Also, your level of perspiration matters. Some people don't sweat that much on their scalp and forehead. For me, I sweat a lot so I probably wouldn't work out if I wanted to preserve my press. Which means that I could never be a straight natural.

prospurr4

There is no way that I could (or want to) maintain flatironed hair, and continue to workout. :nono: For me, it would be too much work and too time-consuming. I exercise 3 to 4 days a week and sweat a lot.

That's one of the reasons why I decided to texlax, and give up all heat. I don't stretch my touchups beyond 8 weeks either. My hair has lots of texture/volume, which I like, and I can still create straight-ish styles with very little manipulation. I am extremely happy with my decision. :grin:

I hope you come to a decision that works for you. :)

aicramphoto

I am natural and I flat iron once a month or so. I put my hair into a ponytail and run the fan/AC like crazy. :grin:

I am fortunate to have equipment at home.

Also, anything you put to keep your hair from reverting in humidity may work, like Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade. It works for me and I sweat in my hair all the time.

I also press extra hard and use something like Dudley's rather than just serum heat protectant.

Victorian

old head
I don't sweat too heavily from my head, however I can get fuzzy edges and wavy roots sometimes. I keep my hair in a bun when working out, sometimes with a soft headband around the edges.
For me, even if I get some reversion, when I tie my hair up it smooths back out overnight. I've gotten rained on and still had my hair smooth out overnight after I use my normal moisturizer, maybe a little oil, and put my hair in a bun or braid. Maybe I'm just lucky? :lol: I've also been straightening for 3+ years, so I agree that may have something to do with it. I don't let straightened hair stop me from working out.

If I get desperate I'll use a little Fantasia ICE Pomade or the similar pomade from Proclaim and a boar bristle brush to get things back under control :lol:

ETA: for me personally wrapping/having a scarf on my hair WHILE working out would just make me sweat more, I think....