Is there really nothing that can be done?

*Michelle*

Oh. Don't mind me. I just had a flashback of all of those Natural heads vs. Relaxed heads threads that were closed.

Carry on......

Oh, didn't realize that had happened. Now I understand that part of your comment....guess they must have gotten ugly. So sad and to bad. :wallbash:

I see both sides of this story too.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Oh, didn't realize that had happened. Now I understand that part of your comment....guess they must have gotten ugly. So sad and to bad. :wallbash:

I see both sides of this story too.

Me also...healthy hair is what it is, relaxed or au naturale, you're hair is an excellent example! :D

HoneyDew

When is this craziness gonna end. Haven't they closed enough of these kinds of posts for y'all to get the message.

Can't we just go back to talking about hair products? The changing all the black people's hair and minds about relaxers and weaves is not going to happen!!!!LOL

Oh yeah, and we are never going to have a world full of natural haired people.

Okay, that's it.

I think I know where you are coming from - Can't we just all talk about products and regimens and not about saving the black hair world and the social aspect of this way or that.

I agree with you. I don;t really care about all the deep stuff. Just tell me how you like that new Pantene line and what you do for split ends. :lol:

But I guess in an open forum we have to expect and accept the deep topics as well. Read them and add comment or move along I guess. But I am with you, I am not really into the deep stuff when it comes to black hair. Just worried about how I can get through this relaxer stretch. :drunk:

tbaby_8

I disagree with people dismissing the OP's post with comments like "It's not serious" or "It's just hair". Try telling that to someone who has lost her hair to chemo or alopecia. Hair means everything to most women's sense of self. When it looks bad we feel bad. When it looks great we feel like a million dollars.

It does bug me to see so many black women walking around with either wigs or balding edges, thinning hair and scraggly ends.

The best place where education could start would be with the stylists so many black women give their hard-earned dollars to. Black hairdressers seem to be taught to "style" rather than nourish hair. They should be the ones putting women on a regimen, steering toward the proper products, setting goals and monitoring their progress. True professional should not just be about touching up relaxers and heat-styling. They should be educating their clients.

I don't mean any harm, but alot of times that information may be given and ignored by the client. They are after that immediate style and are paying that stylist their hard earned money for that particular style, no matter how damaging it may be to there hair.

You have some stylist that don't give good information and are about the $$$s. You just have to choose wisely.

Carrie A

I think it starts with us. Many of us were influenced by a book....maybe about natural hair or a pamphlet about growing healthy long hair. We've researched and gained a lot of information about maintaining the health of our hair. Now we have to pass it forward...to our children, friends, and strangers. We are advertisements for beautiful hair. We are on the net and on you tube. Members have written books of their own. Another member (in another thread) made a good point that women of color need to be behind the scenes in media so that we can project more images of healthy black hair (our own hair).

This hair thing has kind of a grassroots feel to it. I hope the movement will continue to spread and grow.

Last edited:

imaccami

I don't know why black women struggle with their hair so much. In the past I was really unsympathetic because I was raised by my father, who knew nothing about hair, and I've had long hair my entire life. I used to think, "I figured it out, so why the heck can't you do the same?"

After a while I realized that, in terms of my hair, being raised by a single father may have been a blessing in disguise because I wasn't taught all those hair myths (I learned some), and I was forced to try things without anyone there to tell me if I was doing it right. It just became second nature to me to try something new with my hair, see how my hair felt afterward and go from there. I think that's more difficult to do when you're used to having your mom there to walk you through step by step. So, it actually worked out in my favor, even though it didn't feel that way when I was twelve.

I think it's going to take time, lots of it, before the majority of black women have nice looking hair. Everyone on this board will/does teach their daughter healthy hair practices and there are other hair boards around...I think it's just going to take time.

Solitude

I disagree with people dismissing the OP's post with comments like "It's not serious" or "It's just hair". Try telling that to someone who has lost her hair to chemo or alopecia. Hair means everything to most women's sense of self. When it looks bad we feel bad. When it looks great we feel like a million dollars.

It does bug me to see so many black women walking around with either wigs or balding edges, thinning hair and scraggly ends.

The best place where education could start would be with the stylists so many black women give their hard-earned dollars to. Black hairdressers seem to be taught to "style" rather than nourish hair. They should be the ones putting women on a regimen, steering toward the proper products, setting goals and monitoring their progress. True professional should not just be about touching up relaxers and heat-styling. They should be educating their clients.

My aunt is a breast cancer survivor and lost all of her hair. Her LIFE was more important than her hair. That's what I'm talking about when I say it's not that serious. Yes, it was important to her, I'm sure. But, what does losing hair to cancer have to do with a "supposed" epidemic among Black women? People of all races suffer from hair loss related to chemotherapy, so I don't follow your argument.

And by the way, I have suffered from Areata Alopecia & I moved on, dealt with it, and continue to deal with it as it re-occurs. It's not that serious, IMO.

Last edited:

msa

My aunt is a breast cancer survivor and lost all of her hair. Her LIFE was more important than her hair. That's what I'm talking about when I say it's not that serious. Yes, it was important to her, I'm sure. But, what does losing hair to cancer have to do with a "supposed" epidemic among Black women? People of all races suffer from hair loss related to chemotherapy, so I don't follow your argument.

And by the way, I have suffered from Areata Alopecia & I moved on, dealt with it, and continue to deal with it as it re-occurs. It's not that serious, IMO.

I can hear the law school coming out right now. You go girl!

Everyone is going to have differences of opinion on this. Some days, it is that serious to me and some days it's not. When my hair was falling out due to medication, it's not like I stopped my meds because of course my health was more important.

Then again we're all on a hair board, so I guess it is that serious to us.

Solitude

I can hear the law school coming out right now. You go girl!

Everyone is going to have differences of opinion on this. Some days, it is that serious to me and some days it's not. When my hair was falling out due to medication, it's not like I stopped my meds because of course my health was more important.

Then again we're all on a hair board, so I guess it is that serious to us.

lol, thanks....I'm in the midst of studying for final exams, which is why I am up at this hour.

I agree with you completely. I am trying to learn to watch my tone in these discussions, but it just seems like these same disputes keep circling around. I certainly understand the importance of the issue that the OP is trying to discuss.

Hair & health certainly go hand in hand and I guess I should just respect that we all look at it differently based on our different experiences....

hillytmj

I think that education is the key to changing the way black women feel about their hair. As you learn more about proper hair care and try new techniques, you're bound to change.

I try to practice what I'm preaching by sharing healthy hair care tips with anyone who is willing to listen. Last week, I did a beauty/self esteem workshop, and I incorporated healthy black hair care tips from LHCF in my discussion and referred the young ladies to this board. They were EXTREMELY interested and eager to learn more. I think sharing our knowledge is key to creating change.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Hair isn't that important and most people, of any color, would never exert the time and energy on hair care that people on LHCF and other hair boards exert.

I agree with you soror. It really isn't that deep, especially with the economy like it is and people losing there jobs left and right.

I'm going to have to disagree with this whole line of thinking. From that Korean owned BSS video that made the hairboard rounds, black women's hair is a billion dollar industry.

A billion dollas is serious in 30 different languages.

And in this economy, I can tell you that weave sales ain't took no kinda hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
It takes months sometimes more than a year of healthy hair care to see results on a truly torn up head of hair. Most Americans period have the attention spans of toddlers. In the time it takes to mow it and grow it on your own head, you could go through dozens of quick fixes with the option to buy more. Not saying that it's right, but it's the route the average person would take and I can say that with certainty because that's what's going on in BSS's across this country.

CenteredGirl

I'm not sure what you mean? The products that do the best on my head are not really culturally explicit - as far as I know jojoba oil, coconut oil, acv, and baking soda are beneficial for all hair types...Made for "black" hair doesn't = good for "black" hair and that goes for all products and all hair types IMO.

Soleil,

The products you outline above are all natural. I agree with your comment. However, these are not commercialized products. When was the last time you saw a commercial about ACV or honey and the benefits to hair?

What I am talking about are all unatural products that we are force fed under the hidden promise of getting long, moisturized hair. Result: broke back hair. Dry hair. Unmanageable hair.

In terms of regimen, the concept of combing and brushing, frequency of hair washing, and how to moisturize that GENERALLY is sold to us is not appropriate for 4 ab kanky hair.

If all the commercial products that are sold are so great for our hair, why do most sistas still complain of dry, frizzy, broke off hair? It's to the point that most African Americal females don't take care of their hair. They wear wigs, braids, lacefronts -- all of these things to the long, silky or long wavy hair that eludes them.

No effort is made to educate sisters on hair care. It's all about product peddling. I try to educate sistas when they ask me about my hair and they say "gurrlll, that is tooo much work and you got goood hair anyways" :perplexed

This and other boards has been a God send, because I have learned through many thread how to knuckle down and really reseach what's best for MY 4 kanky hair.

Our hair is really really complex. There is no one solution fit all and no effort is being made by all the BIG hair companies to address this.

LongiLox

I think that education is the key to changing the way black women feel about their hair. As you learn more about proper hair care and try new techniques, you're bound to change.

I try to practice what I'm preaching by sharing healthy hair care tips with anyone who is willing to listen. Last week, I did a beauty/self esteem workshop, and I incorporated healthy black hair care tips from LHCF in my discussion and referred the young ladies to this board. They were EXTREMELY interested and eager to learn more. I think sharing our knowledge is key to creating change.

Soleil,

The products you outline above are all natural. I agree with your comment. However, these are not commercialized products. When was the last time you saw a commercial about ACV or honey and the benefits to hair?

What I am talking about are all unatural products that we are force fed under the hidden promise of getting long, moisturized hair. Result: broke back hair. Dry hair. Unmanageable hair.

In terms of regimen, the concept of combing and brushing, frequency of hair washing, and how to moisturize that GENERALLY is sold to us is not appropriate for 4 ab kanky hair.

If all the commercial products that are sold are so great for our hair, why do most sistas still complain of dry, frizzy, broke off hair? It's to the point that most African Americal females don't take care of their hair. They wear wigs, braids, lacefronts -- all of these things to the long, silky or long wavy hair that eludes them.

No effort is made to educate sisters on hair care. It's all about product peddling. I try to educate sistas when they ask me about my hair and they say "gurrlll, that is tooo much work and you got goood hair anyways" :perplexed

This and other boards has been a God send, because I have learned through many thread how to knuckle down and really reseach what's best for MY 4 kanky hair.

Our hair is really really complex. There is no one solution fit all and no effort is being made by all the BIG hair companies to address this.

I think the key is to try our best to educate our people and to lead by example. They might not want to believe you at first, but once they see your hair getting longer and healthier they may start to listen. The problem is how to reach the masses.

Jazala

I'm going to have to disagree with this whole line of thinking. From that Korean owned BSS video that made the hairboard rounds, black women's hair is a billion dollar industry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
It takes months sometimes more than a year of healthy hair care to see results on a truly torn up head of hair. Most Americans period have the attention spans of toddlers. In the time it takes to mow it and grow it on your own head, you could go through dozens of quick fixes with the option to buy more. Not saying that it's right, but it's the route the average person would take and I can say that with certainty because that's what's going on in BSS's across this country.

Well said!!:amen:

ryanshope

Crackers Phinn hit it on the head. There is too much money to be made and ALOT of black women don't have the time or resources to research and change there regime of hair care. Also, the products that are nationally available and marketed are quite inferior when it comes to moisturizing, conditioning and protecting african hair.

I have a future in law that has 4 daugters--ages 1 to 11. Unfortunately, she is clueless about hair. Not her fault really--her mother took her to the salons all of her life and she has never really had to "do" her own hair. So she is passing the same lack of knowledge on to her daughters.

African hair requires a certain amount of diligence and patience to maintain--especially if you are trying to retain length.

Once a dependency on relaxers, wigs and weaves is developed it is HARD to break---they are "convenient", they made the hair "manageable" they are "easy to do" and the results are fast--a lacefront versus growing out your own hair? Relaxing versus pressing?

Now this is not to pass judgement or ridicule anyone--I got a wig on right now. But I am very capable of styling my natural coif with/without heat. However I know ALOT of women that have NO idea how to properly style there own hair-relaxed or natural. Then it because a cycle of going to a stylist. Then when that gets to be too expensive, they try to do it at home. Then the results may not be as nice or because someone isn't using the same products the hair starts to suffer.

And I have learned that "quick" results also deliver "quick" damage.

Hair is such an important part of a woman(especially) a black woman's definition of her self.

I think that women with textured hair have to educate themselves and their peers about how to properly care for textured hair and that starts with the mommas, the grandmamas, the aunties and the hair stylists.

The industry is changing--slowly but it is changing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

LongiLox

Crackers Phinn hit it on the head. There is too much money to be made and ALOT of black women don't have the time or resources to research and change there regime of hair care. Also, the products that are nationally available and marketed are quite inferior when it comes to moisturizing, conditioning and protecting african hair.

I have a future in law that has 4 daugters--ages 1 to 11. Unfortunately, she is clueless about hair. Not her fault really--her mother took her to the salons all of her life and she has never really had to "do" her own hair. So she is passing the same lack of knowledge on to her daughters.

African hair requires a certain amount of diligence and patience to maintain--especially if you are trying to retain length.

Once a dependency on relaxers, wigs and weaves is developed it is HARD to break---they are "convenient", they made the hair "manageable" they are "easy to do" and the results are fast--a lacefront versus growing out your own hair? Relaxing versus pressing?

Now this is not to pass judgement or ridicule anyone--I got a wig on right now. But I am very capable of styling my natural coif with/without heat. However I know ALOT of women that have NO idea how to properly style there own hair-relaxed or natural. Then it because a cycle of going to a stylist. Then when that gets to be too expensive, they try to do it at home. Then the results may not be as nice or because someone isn't using the same products the hair starts to suffer.

And I have learned that "quick" results also deliver "quick" damage.

Hair is such an important part of a woman(especially) a black woman's definition of her self.

I think that women with textured hair have to educate themselves and their peers about how to properly care for textured hair and that starts with the mommas, the grandmamas, the aunties and the hair stylists.

The industry is changing--slowly but it is changing.

Do you plan to educate or expose her to healthy hair care? Or do you feel that she should find it on her own?