Is mild protein (for stregnth) ok when using Mega-Tek?

Smiley79

I was interesed in trying the Joico-K Pack Reconstructor or some other (very mild) protein to build the stregnth of my hair. Since I'm using Mega-Tek on my scalp, I have stopped using any protein but I'm now realizing that I'd hate to just use moisture conditioners time and time again and risk mousture overload I'd like to use a Mild protein biweekly to balance out my twice a week moisture DCs. Any suggestions...?

Current Moisture Conditoners (twice a week)
CB Smoothe Triple Silk
Keracare Humecto
AO HSR

Megatek (with EOs) on scalp only every 2 days

CurlyMoo

I use Mega-Tek on both my scalp and hair. Recently noticed that my favorite moisturizing deep conditioners have protein in them. That explained why my hair started to feel dry. I was also getting breakage. I am now on the hunt for a NON-protein conditioner. Which is harder than I thought. I find that the protein in MT is sufficient. Do you every use MT on your hair? If you are not using it on your hair, then I don't see a problem with a mild protein conditioner.

krikit96

I would be scared more so of PROTEIN overload than moisture overload. If you MUST, then I'd use a mild protein ONCE a month and just moisture the other times. It's not worth losing hair over. Mega-Tek protein is sufficient on my hair alone. Every month I may go ahead and do a ORS DC but then I don't use the MT for a little bit.

How is the Mega Tek working for you anyhow? How are you using it?

ayoung

I still use a reconstructor with my MT/CT.
Sometimes I use the MT or Ap. 2 min. :yep:

I still do a hardcore protien when my hair needs it as well. :yep:

Jetblackhair

ITA with you on not wanting to over moisturize. This is what I did while I was using MT for fear of protein overload. My hair started breaking because I was overdoing it with the moisture (natural, fine hair).

You can also use MT as a weekly protein treatment, just be sure to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

I don't think a mild protein treatment should be a problem, just remember to listen to your hair and the make the adjustments as needed.

gymfreak336

I use the mega tek as a protein conditoner. I put it on for 5 minutes or so as directed and rinse. I don't follow it with anything since it has enough emollients in it for me. Try it that way and see if that works for you.

Smiley79

I've only been using it for 1 week. I'll do a review on it end of June. i just did a BC a month a go, so I don't have much hair now anyways. But the hair that I do have looks and feels great thus far. I have not used it on the hair yet as the bottle directs. But that's a good idea, duh!!!! I forgot that I could use it on the hair and that will cover my shot of protein. Do you all think once a week on the hair is sufficient or should I do it biweekly. Also, the day that I use it as a conditioner, should I skip putting it on the scalp???

Jetblackhair

Try it as a weekly protein conditioner first, washing, then applying it to the hair and leaving it on for 5 to 10 minutes to see how your hair reacts. Give it a couple of weeks or so.

You can continue to use it on your scalp as normal but no need to put it on your scalp after you have used it as a protein conditioning treatment.

ChocoKitty

I still use my Aphogee for damaged hair (mixed with water). After an Aphogee treatment I skip MT for 2-3 days. I have not experienced any protein overload so far.

Aggie

I actually mix my MT with Nioxin Reconructing masque for a 5 minute treatment at least once a week, sometimes twice, but I would always follow up with a moisturizing DC..

gymfreak336

Try it as a weekly protein conditioner first, washing, then applying it to the hair and leaving it on for 5 to 10 minutes to see how your hair reacts. Give it a couple of weeks or so.

You can continue to use it on your scalp as normal but no need to put it on your scalp after you have used it as a protein conditioning treatment.

Agreed.

Actually, I get more scalp stimulation when I use it on my wet hair. I apply the product, massage it in and get it on my scalp, put on a plastic cap and finish showering. My scalp gets all warm and tingly about a minute afterward. I love it. I just use it like 2 days ago and I can't wait for Friday so I can do it again.

Jetblackhair

Agreed.

Actually, I get more scalp stimulation when I use it on my wet hair. I apply the product, massage it in and get it on my scalp, put on a plastic cap and finish showering. My scalp gets all warm and tingly about a minute afterward. I love it. I just use it like 2 days ago and I can't wait for Friday so I can do it again.

Me too! I no longer use MT/OCT as a scalp grease, but only as a protein conditioner. I think it works better on my clean wet scalp/hair.

I ran out some time ago but yesterday I purchased the OCT system.

gymfreak336

Me too! I no longer use MT/OCT as a scalp grease, but only as a protein conditioner. I think it works better on my clean wet scalp/hair.

I ran out some time ago but yesterday I purchased the OCT system.

I think so too. I love using it. I was wondering if anyone else was getting the same benefits. I am half way through my last bottle of megatek but I will restock this summer. Maybe I should wash again tonight :look:

Kellum

I've used Nexxus Keraphix as a protein DC while using MT on my scalp with no problems. Recently I've starting co-washing with MT then co-wash with my moisturizing conditioners. I don't have any problems.

beans4reezy

I still use a reconstructor with my MT/CT.
Sometimes I use the MT or Ap. 2 min. :yep:

I still do a hardcore protien when my hair needs it as well. :yep:

Same here. I apply MT to my scalp and I use the Aphogee 2 min weekly (but I mix in a moisturing conditioner with the Aphogee). I also cowash and wet bun, so my hair stays moist. My hair is stronger as a result.

You just got to find the right balance to make sure that the protien you are putting into your hair is balanced out with moisture.:yep:

Smiley79

Thganks laides, i'll start off by using the MT for my protein and skipping it on the scalp the fist couple days afterwards. Just so I'm clear, when you laides started using MT, did you wash more often ( twice a week for example) or was once a week sufficient; my plan is twice a week so I can keep by DCing to balance the usage fot he MT. Any thoughts?

baddison

natural for good
I have used MegaTek consistently for 6months straight....5x's per week. I mixed it with oils, and massaged into the scalp nightly. This WAS NOT enough to get much needed protein to my hair and ends. So I incorporated weekly "mild" protein DC's into my regimen. I simply made sure on THAT particular day, I did not add my MT mix. My hair has been thanking me profusely. My MegaTek is finished, the bottle lasted me and entire 6months. I started on Nov. 21st, 2008, and finished the MT May 20th, 2009.

I have now moved on to MoeGro growth oil. I believe THIS will be a permanent fixture in my hair's life....hehe...:lachen: