Rollersetters/Stretchers: How long into your stretch can you rollerset?

RabiaElaine

I am asking because I realize that after my last stretch I can't airdry in a ponytail, especially when I start getting a lot of new growth because the middle of my hair never gets properly detangled.

So this stretch (19 weeks hopefully) I plan to rollerset then airdry my hair after I wash/cowash for most of this stretch (I may braid for 1 month). I've never rollerset my hair past 8-9 weeks post (the last stretch I put in braids to get me through weeks 9-13, then I airdried in large box braids for the last 2 weeks).

I'm just wondering how long through your stretch you are able to rollerset without experiencing major breakage? Any suggestions you have for rollersetting during those last weeks of the stretch.

Thanks in advance.

leleepop

I rollerset all the way to my last or 14th week. This is only my second stretch so I hope once I am fully texlaxed I will still be able to do this.I dont even flatiron my roots everytime either. Also when it gets really thick I sometimes roll with the small rollers and it comes out like a spiralset.hth:)Also I keep a water bottle and a light setting lotion handy. I just rollerset regular but alot of the girls do the ponytail rollerset. I think the ponytail rollerset is a great idea because you can get the root really flat in the latter weeks of your stretch. Let me know how ot works for you and BTW my hair is 4a/b type.hth

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

leleepop said:
I rollerset all the way to my last or 14th week. This is only my second stretch so I hope once I am fully texlaxed I will still be able to do this.I dont even flatiron my roots everytime either. Also when it gets really thick I sometimes roll with the small rollers and it comes out like a spiralset.hth:)

I was thinking about whether smaller rollers will help me rollerset far into the stretch (it's going to suck for airdrying them though).

I am also transitioning to texlaxed (only 3 inches of texlaxed hair though)!!! Last friday when I washed, I rollerset with the roller covers instead of the silver duck bill clips this seemed to have made it easier to stretch out and straighten the texlaxed hair. I thnk I am going to continue using the roller covers and just deal with the stupid dents they leave, they go away after a while or if you flatten them with a scarf. Luckily the dents are only visible on the hair line.

leleepop

I always use a warm dryer for two hours. I think it helps keep it smoother, plus I dont have time to airdry. I wish I just had 3in of relaxed. I only have 3to4 inches of texlax. Does it get easier to manage the more texlax? How long do you process your roots?

MissFallon

I am generally able to rollerset while stretching for about 17-20 weeks. If I keep the ng incredibly moisturized then I have no problems with it. I usually use the PCJ NewGro Hairdress (yes it has mineral oil.) but it does the trick,.

divinefavor

I am usually able to rollerset through my entire stretch. On Saturday I did a rollerset with the small rollers (yellow ones). The style looks like a spiral set. This Friday I will be 10 weeks post relaxer.

pyxis777

I also will be rollersetting 1-2times a week after I wash my hair from relaxer to relaxer. There's no cut off for how long you can do a roller set (in my opinion). As long as you comb very gently, there is minimal breakage.

RabiaElaine

leleepop said:
I always use a warm dryer for two hours. I think it helps keep it smoother, plus I dont have time to airdry. I wish I just had 3in of relaxed. I only have 3to4 inches of texlax. Does it get easier to manage the more texlax? How long do you process your roots?

Same like you, I only have about 3 inches of texlaxed hair. From my experience so far, I think it is easier the more texlaxed hair you have. When I did my first texlax touch up, it was very hard to deal with the texlaxed roots (they were only relaxed about 50%). When I did my last touch up I had the stylist relax to 70% and do a corrective at the very end on the previously texlaxed hair. Anyway right now it's much easier to deal with the texlaxed hair than it was when I only had 1 inch of it.

Mind you I only have the same amount of texlaxed hair as you, but I'm hoping it gets easier the longer my texlaxed hair gets. I'm planning to cut off a half inch of the bone straight hair when I get my next touch up in August (hopefully I can stretch for that long).

BSweet

im not stretching but the amnt of new growth i have feels lke it..so lately i have just been using the small pink rollers..takes longer to dry..but it flatens my new growth a little and i put it up into a cute curlypin up..my new growth looks fine cause my hair come out real curly and textured looking..but it has to be up cause it can't be worn down any more..i have done this the last two weeks..until i get my blow out..cause im not due for a relaxer yet

Isis

I never experience breakage from rollersetting. I rollerset all the way through my stretch, which is 13 weeks but sometimes as many as 16 weeks. The ponytail rollerset really helps during the last few weeks of the stretch.

Miss*Tress

I use medium size rollers around the edges and roll smaller sections of hair to get a smooth look. The rest of my hair is set on large rollers as usual otherwise it would take 2 days to dry.

You may want to try the ponytail roller set in order to get your roots straight. Check Lonei's and Pocohantas' albums for details.

RabiaElaine

Isis said:
I never experience breakage from rollersetting. I rollerset all the way through my stretch, which is 13 weeks but sometimes as many as 16 weeks. The ponytail rollerset really helps during the last few weeks of the stretch.

Thanks Isis for giving me the inspiration to finally airdry my rollerset. It took all night (like 8-9 hours to totally dry). So I figure if I can get my hair set by 8pm at night...it should be totally dry by the time I wake up for work at 6am.

I'm going to try leaving work early on wash days...today is my cowash day and I will be rollersetting this evening.

Thanks again Isis!!!!!!!!!

Isis

RabiaElaine said:
Thanks Isis for giving me the inspiration to finally airdry my rollerset. It took all night (like 8-9 hours to totally dry). So I figure if I can get my hair set by 8pm at night...it should be totally dry by the time I wake up for work at 6am.

I'm going to try leaving work early on wash days...today is my cowash day and I will be rollersetting this evening.

Thanks again Isis!!!!!!!!!
You're so welcome RabiaElaine! I time getting my hair set too for overnight airdrying. :yep: