17 Week Stretch?

mahogany_horizons

Is this possible for a relaxed head, NOT IN BRAIDS? I do not have success with braids because of my scalp. Could I make 17 weeks loose? I've done 12 or 13 weeks with no problem. I would really like to be able to stretch for 17 weeks. I am going on a cruise so I would like to relax in early December. Then I would really like not to relax again Until the first Week in April (I know, a lot of time!!) Is it doable?

You could do the scarf method and rollerset the back only. When your hair has dried, you can either wear it out or in a bun. :yep:

I'm not relaxed but I don't see why you couldn't. Sylver2 does it...and lots of people are really far into their transitions and don't use braids/weave (Mummysgirl, for example). If you can already make it to 12 or 13 without a problem, then you should be able to do the rest :yep:.

Check out the long term stretch challenge, I bet there are lots of ideas in there.

Yes, you can do it. I'm into week 24 and I never even thought about braids or weaves/wigs. You'll have to adjust your reggie, so just read through the transitioners threads to get some good ideas.

I am on week 31 of my stretch, but for the first 16 weeks, I stretched without braids. Just up your dc's. moisturize daily and use protective or low mani styles.

Absolutely.. 2 weeks ago,I relax from a 16-week stretch. I do not use braids, wigs or weave on my hair. You just need the right products to help you.

it's possible, with deep conditioning and excellent moisturizing leave ins, my longest stretch was a few weeks short of a year. once you get the hang of it it's nothing to do. it's all about finding the right products to detangle the newgrowth.

when I was still living in nyc i'd get rollersets and blowouts, or at home if I would do my hair i'd blowdry and flat iron, I would use the straightening creams/gels worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Thank you ladies so much for your input!! I will be checking out the transitioner and relaxer stretches threads! I hope you are right. I'm going to try really hard to do it!

Its doable, just depends on who's trying to do it I guess, lol...

But people transition for 18 months plus, sylver and many others have done 1 year stretches, 6 month stretches and lots of ladies don't wear wigs or any kind of weaves. Take a look in the long term transition thread, or the Inspired by Sylver 1 year stretch thread

Very much so. I will be approaching 17 wks this coming week. Detangling when wet only, rollersets and finger combing.

I presently am transitioning, but my longest stretch was 7 months (28 weeks) si it's definitely possible. All I do is bun and sometimes braid at night.

I've done 15 weeks with no problem and could have gone longer but I used wigs after 6 weeks post. Wigs are better than braids imo because you have full access to your hair at all times. Just another option you may want to consider if you feel like giving up..

Yes you can! I started my hair journey wanting to relax every 17 weeks, because that would mean getting perms 3 x's a year! Yea! That sounded a lot healthier than getting relaxers every 6-8 weeks. I kept that mindset for a year, knowing that I would have to experiment with different products to find out which ones would work for me in between relaxers. The one thing that I did learn was that I couldn't wear my hair down as much anymore, (roots and ends were two different textures) :ohwell: so I had to learn how to live with protective styles 99% of the time. My mane taming video below shows how I used the scarf method to help with this. I didn't mind so much, because the trade-off was healthier hair, and that was my goal.

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT. I'M GOING TO GO FOR IT. I'll next relax in early December because I'm going on a cruise. Then I hope to stretch it all the way until the first week in April (yikes)...pray for me :)

Yeah you can do it!! I did a 20 week stretch and would helped was a good conditioner with slip to help with tangles. The scarf method helps and also co-washing/bunning is effective.

Back