I'm just gonna do it: Who wants natural, heat-stretched hair?

Do you want heat-stretched natural hair (Loss of kinky curl pattern?)

• Yes, I hate to admit

Votes: 115 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 56.9%

• Total voters
Meaning, do you want to go natural but would like to press/flat-iron often enough so that you loosen your curl pattern?

I do - I've got about 3 inches of new growth and I'm thinking of transitioning to natural, but I never plan to wear my hair kinky. I want it straight and sleek. I've taken a major paycut and I can't afford to travel to my stylist and get regular relaxers so I've got to do something.

I have a friend who has LONG bsl, full (no thin ends) 4b natural hair and she's been pressing her hair ever since she's been all-natural. She showed me her wet hair earlier today and her curl pattern is now like a 3a or something similar. She does protein and moisturizing treatment and she has no breakage either! After seeing this, I realized that this is what I would want if my hair was all natural. Like, that is the only way that I'd go natural.

I keep seeing all the recent horror stories about ladies who have gone natural and their kinks keep breaking, knotting, and tangling, keeping them from retaining length.

Last edited:
I was thinking I read it wrong loose or lose? :grin:

ok well you gotta remember everybody's hair is different and although your friends hair did a b & c your hair might not tolerate it. I think if you want to regularly straighten *which is a pain in the butt* and cant go to your stylist, that self relaxing might be best!

Heat styling can also stop length retention for many. I do understand what your saying, its the best of both worlds to to have the health of your natural hair but to be able wear it as though ur relaxed (whenever you want)

If I could just invent a product that did that, I would be a gazzilionaire!

in other words, thats what we all (or many of us) want,but its not really that easily attainable!

BUT then again it might work for you, so who is to say not to try it?

Meaning, do you want to go natural but would like to press/flat-iron often enough so that you lose your curl pattern?

I do - I've got about 3 inches of new growth and I'm thinking of transitioning to natural, but I never plan to wear my hair kinky. I want it straight and sleek. I've taken a major paycut and I can't afford to travel to my stylist and get regular relaxers so I've got to do something.

I have a friend who has LONG bsl, full (no thin ends) 4b natural hair and she's been pressing her hair ever since she's been all-natural. She showed me her wet hair earlier today and her curl pattern is now like a 3a or something similar. She does protein and moisturizing treatment and she has no breakage either! After seeing this, I realized that this is what I would want if my hair was all natural. Like, that is the only way that I'd go natural.

I keep seeing all the recent horror stories about ladies who have gone natural and their kinks keep breaking, knotting, and tangling, keeping them from retaining length.

Thank you for your reply. You're right, everyone's hair is different. I think I'll just try it and see how my hair responds. I just want to try being relaxer-free BUT and still have straight or even wavy hair when wet because I don't want my hair reverting so much. We will see....

Oh yeah, I guess I could've said "loosen" the curl pattern to make it more clear :look:

I was thinking I read it wrong loose or lose? :grin:

ok well you gotta remember everybody's hair is different and although your friends hair did a b & c your hair might not tolerate it. I think if you want to regularly straighten *which is a pain in the butt* and cant go to your stylist, that self relaxing might be best!

Heat styling can also stop length retention for many. I do understand what your saying, its the best of both worlds to to have the health of your natural hair but to be able wear it as though ur relaxed (whenever you want)

If I could just invent a product that did that, I would be a gazzilionaire!

in other words, thats what we all (or many of us) want,but its not really that easily attainable!

BUT then again it might work for you, so who is to say not to try it?

Meaning, do you want to go natural but would like to press/flat-iron often enough so that you lose your curl pattern?

I understand how you feel, I'm natural too, and I also have that urge to want to be straight 24/7. The kinks and knotting do suck big time for me especially because I keep my hair in two strand twists. But this is the only way my hair obtains growth. What kind of protein and moisturizing treatment does she do for her hair?

Thank you for your reply. You're right, everyone's hair is different. I think I'll just try it and see how my hair responds. I just want to try being relaxer-free BUT and still have straight or even wavy hair when wet because I don't want my hair reverting so much. We will see....

Oh yeah, I guess I could've said "loosen" the curl pattern to make it more clear :look:

well they do say heat will loosen the curl pattern, I havent seen it on my hair but I dont press super regularly, in fact when I used to press more often , I ended up feeling I needed a big trim although I didnt really put the two and two together at the time- it only made my hair feel bad, not loose!

be careful with the heat! I dont blame you for trying it , if wearing it natural wont work for you

I understand how you feel, I'm natural too, and I also have that urge to want to be straight 24/7. The kinks and knotting do suck big time for me especially because I keep my hair in two strand twists. But this is the only way my hair obtains growth. What kind of protein and moisturizing treatment does she do for her hair?

hehe just like a lchf lady , go for the real deal , the exact information needed! :lol:

cut to the chase!

She alternates between Aveda Damage Remedy and Joico Kpak for strengthening/protein and Mizani Moisturefuse for moisture. There were a few other products but those are the ones that I specifically remember. I checked out her bathroom stash and she also had some products from Oyin (I think), i.e. Juices and Berries. I intended to ask her if she uses a heat protectant.

She alternates between Aveda Damage Remedy and Joico Kpak for strengthening/protein and Mizani Moisturefuse for moisture. There were a few other products but those are the ones that I specifically remember. I checked out her bathroom stash and she also had some products from Oyin (I think), i.e. Juices and Berries. I intended to ask her if she uses a heat protectant.

I kinda wanna try the Mazani, I think I used it years ago and liked it!

My cousin's hair is just the same as your friend. I haven't seen her in a while, but the last report was that her hair was now down to her booty. She gets her hair pressed (hot comb). She says it is now trained so it straightens easily so I was thinking she must have permanently loosened her curl pattern. Actually, I didn't do too bad with regular hot combing, either, esp considering we didn't know anything about hair care. I think that if that is what you want it is possible to get it for some hair types, but we can't promise that yours is one of those.

ETA: I also can't promise that using heat continuously will give you a looser curl pattern. My hair was loosened some from continual hot combing, but since my hair doesn't have a curl pattern to begin with, I just got slightly looser kinky hair. It still was not curly like a 3-something or even like a 4a.

Last edited:
I will have to say that I am in this category.
If I can get looser curls without the chemical commitment, then I will do so... but I just don't want a full relaxer and texlaxers are not the BEST for me.

ETA: I also can't promise that using heat continuously will give you a looser curl pattern. My hair was loosened some from continual hot combing, but since my hair doesn't have a curl pattern to begin with, I just got slightly looser kinky hair. It still was not curly like a 3-something or even like a 4a.

that's what i was thinking, heat isn't gonna change kinks to curls, it's just gonna make the kinks looser/straighter/less apt to revert. but i didn't wanna say nothin and get rocks thrown at me... :blush:

i've seen a few long-haired black women IRL who are natural but press so their hair is "trained." if it works for you and you still take good care of your hair... i say go for what makes ya happy.

I have friends with natural hair that they press regularly. All of their hair is long, one reason I will always feel that regular pressing of natural hair is still healthier than relaxing, it's just a little more work. All of their hair is basically "trained" or heat stretched. It's loosened their curls, some have like a frizzy curl look. But they can definitely coax it into a decent little wash n go.

totally OT but seraphin, is that anime guy in your siggy pulling his uh, "joystick" out of his pants? :look:

OMG..I had to go back and look at that. I didn't even pay attention the first gazillion times I looked at it. :lachen:

Okay, to OP: If you want to continue to wear your hair straight, just without a relaxer then go for it. SEVERAL ladies are doing that. But make sure you realize,

1. like someone else said, constant heat MAY prevent you from retaining enough hair to see growth progress. How well does your hair grow now with a relaxer and getting it flat ironed?

2. If that is what you want to do, don't be concerned about your natural texture, because you're gonna lose it. When my relaxer free friends try to do a WNG, it does not look all that good (IMHO). IDK, it could be the products that they use, though. Just don't put all your hopes on your ONE friends hair.

Why don't you try the coconut/lime natural "relaxer" mixture (see it on the hair recipe thread").? It loosens the curl pattern. Wash it out with a moisturizing shampoo, deep condition, and then flat iron using a heat protecting spray. I haven't had a relaxer since early April and I like this. I wouldn't want to REGULARLY use heat, though. Also, do wet rollersets. Keep your hair moisturized and balance with protein treatments, use a leave-in and seal with natural and essential oils. Most women, I know, who go natural and press and rollerset, grow their hair alot. Just minimize the heat.

An old co-worker of mine only gets her hair pressed. She transitioned that way. Same stylist for 20 yrs. Her hair is almost, if it isn't already, WL. She never wears it curly, and it gets pressed with a hot comb. She started out with the ceramic iron but realized that her hair gets fuzzy that second week so her stylist uses the comb for the whole head and the ceramic underneath or on her edges sometimes. Her stylist uses Aveda DR and she gets it done every 2-3 wks...

And I covet her hair. :sekret: I mean she's gorgeous like a life-size Barbie - 5'9" or 5'10", deep chocolate skin, no makeup and just flawless. She looks just like Kenya Moore, but a little darker...*sigh* Some broads have it so dang easy :ohwell:

I've been going back and forth about transitioning again at a later date, but if I did, this is exactly what I would do. I'm very familiar with my natural curl pattern and don't really feel a need to re-connect with it like that. I like straight hair on me, and that's that. Unfortunately I live in Hotlanta and just cannot postpone wash day to 14 days :eek: so I remain a relaxed head.

OMG..I had to go back and look at that. I didn't even pay attention the first gazillion times I looked at it. :lachen:

Okay, to OP: If you want to continue to wear your hair straight, just without a relaxer then go for it. SEVERAL ladies are doing that. But make sure you realize,

1. like someone else said, constant heat MAY prevent you from retaining enough hair to see growth progress. How well does your hair grow now with a relaxer and getting it flat ironed?

I often talk about my growing out my heat damaged (HD) hair and this is why. When I was getting presses every two weeks my hair was never past APL or somewhere between SL and APL no matter what. Granted I didn't apply any oils or keep it moisturized either in between visits but still. I thought healthy hair meant going to the salon often. They'd blowdry my hair bone straight and at first hot combed AND curled with the marcel stove and my hair smelled burnt EVERY TIME. You could smell me coming miles away and that was normal to me! I got DCs at every wash and sometimes protein treatments as well.

Now that I've been growing out my HD, my hair seems to be retaining length well. For me, my hair is too fine for a relaxer (unless max application was no longer than 5 mns) OR constant presses and even braids around the edges could cause breakage. So while the straight hair did prevent me from doing a curly/kinky WNG, the worst effect of pressing was the constant breakage.

Originally posted by ladylibra
that's what i was thinking, heat isn't gonna change kinks to curls, it's just gonna make the kinks looser/straighter/less apt to revert. but i didn't wanna say nothin and get rocks thrown at me... :blush:

i've seen a few long-haired black women IRL who are natural but press so their hair is "trained." if it works for you and you still take good care of your hair... i say go for what makes ya happy.

What she said!
I press my natural hair usually twice a month and it does just fine. My hair reverts easily but my healthy naps are naps...no amount of heat is going to change that.
But many of us can have healthy natural hair that's pressed on the regular, as long as you're willing to put in the time to properly care for your scalp and hair.

It is possible I have a couple of friends w/long healthy pressed hair. Whether or not is will loosen the texture is based on an individuals hair I think. I pressed my hair in HS regularly and my texture stayed the same but it did get easier to press since I did it frequently.

I see what you're saying about not being able to get the a "curly" texture. Actually, now that you mentioned it, her hair is not a curly 3a/b, it's more like a flattened wavy-ish pattern. It does not look like it will curl up if it dries naturally. It looks like it will just wave up.

Also, around her edges and top area is almost completely straight. So I can see that heat-stretching will not give you a consistently looser pattern all over. But honestly, that is totally fine with me.

My cousin's hair is just the same as your friend. I haven't seen her in a while, but the last report was that her hair was now down to her booty. She gets her hair pressed (hot comb). She says it is now trained so it straightens easily so I was thinking she must have permanently loosened her curl pattern. Actually, I didn't do too bad with regular hot combing, either, esp considering we didn't know anything about hair care. I think that if that is what you want it is possible to get it for some hair types, but we can't promise that yours is one of those.

Well my hair grows wonderfully with a relaxer and flat-iron. I was able to reach APL and beyond with the help of protective styling (weave). But I'm in a position where I can't afford to travel to my stylist to get it relaxed regularly. So I just wanted to see if this is something I can do. By looking at my friend's hair, it gave me an inkling of hope that heat-stretching could work. But, the real test will be with my OWN hair. I'm DESPERATE lol! I already have 3" of ng.

2. If that is what you want to do, don't be concerned about your natural texture, because you're gonna lose it. When my relaxer free friends try to do a WNG, it does not look all that good (IMHO). IDK, it could be the products that they use, though. Just don't put all your hopes on your ONE friends hair.

Hey Flygirl- I think its worth a try since u know u will be wearing more straight styles than anything. Just be sure to keep ur hair DC with moisture and protein and don't forget the heat protectant.

I may even try this one day :yep:...it would be hard for me to give up my twists tho.

I see what you're saying about not being able to get the a "curly" texture. Actually, now that you mentioned it, her hair is not a curly 3a/b, it's more like a flattened wavy-ish pattern. It does not look like it will curl up if it dries naturally. It looks like it will just wave up.

Also, around her edges and top area is almost completely straight. So I can see that heat-stretching will not give you a consistently looser pattern all over. But honestly, that is totally fine with me.

It's seems like your walking into it totally prepared for what may happen to your curl pattern. That's a very important part of it. I hate to read those threads where folks are devastated when their hair won't nap back up.

But to be honest, most of the natural women I know in real life are pressncurl girls and folks looked at me funny when I said that was not my intention when I was transitioning. My MIL, SIL, and niece get hard presses and their hair is APL-BSL.

Well my hair grows wonderfully with a relaxer and flat-iron. I was able to reach APL and beyond with the help of protective styling (weave). But I'm in a position where I can't afford to travel to my stylist to get it relaxed regularly. So I just wanted to see if this is something I can do. By looking at my friend's hair, it gave me an inkling of hope that heat-stretching could work. But, the real test will be with my OWN hair. I'm DESPERATE lol! I already have 3" of ng.

I feel you on that. I haven't paid anyone for a relaxer in 2 YEARS!!! And it feels GREAT!! :lachen:Well, just continue to stretch and see what happens. And in between straightening, try to wear protective styles as much as possible. But right now, in the summer, you may have issues with reversion of your new growth since it's not "trained" yet.

I'll admit it. I am considering it. I am not retaining lenght from the amount of single strand knots I am getting. I have tried twisting and braiding, but the last 1/2 inch of my hair is full of single strand knots in no time. It coils up even in twists and braids! I know I do not want to relax again and I did not have this knot problem when I relaxed or pressed. I was able to maintain APL pressed hair without knowing anything about moisture, DC, or protien. After summer, I think I will try washing, rollersetting with a light flat iron (less than 300) weekly and see how my hair does with that. My hair grew fine like that while relaxed, so I guess my natural hair should be able to take it.

I'll admit it. I am considering it. I am not retaining lenght from the amount of single strand knots I am getting. I have tried twisting and braiding, but the last 1/2 inch of my hair is full of single strand knots in no time. It coils up even in twists and braids! I know I do not want to relax again and I did not have this knot problem when I relaxed or pressed. I was able to maintain APL pressed hair without knowing anything about moisture, DC, or protien. After summer, I think I will try washing, rollersetting with a light flat iron (less than 300) weekly and see how my hair does with that. My hair grew fine like that while relaxed, so I guess my natural hair should be able to take it.

See. That's what I keep hearing from so many ladies with natural hair. Those knots are just like split ends- even worse. And they end up either breaking off or you have to cut them off.:sad:

It is possible I have a couple of friends w/long healthy pressed hair. Whether or not is will loosen the texture is based on an individuals hair I think. I pressed my hair in HS regularly and my texture stayed the same but it did get easier to press since I did it frequently.

Oh man. Your hair is so beautiful! I just want to squeeze it.:lachen:

OP, if I ever decide I want to wear my hair straight most of the time (way down the road), this is the road I'll take. It won't loosen my kinks (I flat ironed all through my transition and never had heat stretching/damage), but that's fine. I just don't ever see myself going back to chemicals.

I say do it if you want to! Some people just have hair that can take a lot of heat. Do your proteing treatments and regular deep conditions and you will be fine. :yep:

Back