Natural hair texture issues, anybody?

Ladybelle

I think I'm a 4a/4b but it's really hard to tell. After bc'ing, i thought my real hair texture would show but it still just looks like a big 'ol poof ball with no texture. I can't really see any curl/wave pattern in my hair. I transitioned for one year before b'cing. I've been waiting for that hair I had as a lil' girl to reemerge but it seems to be nowhere in sight.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this & she told me it took three years before her natural curl pattern re-appeared.

Is there any truth to this?? Does it take awhile to get your "natural" hair back after bc'ing or going natural?

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process??

currently, I'm in braids trying to grow my hair & figure out where i'm headed in this natural journey.

thanks!!

Last edited:

nysister

I would think that any new growth would show your natural pattern. I have 4B hair with areas of 4a and 2a. Which is exactly what it was when I was younger. Not everyones hair really hair curl definition though. Mine has tons of moisture, but the main texture is 4B and that's super coily prone to poofing hair. I love it though.

kblc06

There are some people with "c-napp" 4b that do not really have a curl pattern, only a mass of fluffy cloud-like hair. Generally, though many people's curl pattern loosens as the hair grows longer due to the weight, mine included. Hormones may also play a role as we age....how was your hair when you were younger and when did you get your 1st relaxer?

lilsparkle825

i've never heard of someone BCing and going three years before seeing their natural texture. the hair growing from your scalp is not chemically altered, so i don't understand that. my texture did appear to change after i BC'd, but that's because all the relaxed parts were gone so my ends could curl up how they wanted.

My mom is a 4a/b and the 4b parts of her hair have no curl pattern. My sister is cnapp and has no curl pattern.

Ladybelle

There are some people with "c-napp" 4b that do not really have a curl pattern, only a mass of fluffy cloud-like hair. Generally, though many people's curl pattern loosens as the hair grows longer due to the weight, mine included. Hormones may also play a role as we age....how was your hair when you were younger and when did you get your 1st relaxer?

as a kid, it was like a 3b/4a type texture. I thought it was soo pretty when it was wet and wanted my mom to let me rock a wash "n' go. First perm at 13. Maybe you're right about the curl pattern loosening w/growth. It's just a twa right now so I'm hoping it's just hard to tell.

Ladybelle

i've never heard of someone BCing and going three years before seeing their natural texture. the hair growing from your scalp is not chemically altered, so i don't understand that. my texture did appear to change after i BC'd, but that's because all the relaxed parts were gone so my ends could curl up how they wanted.

My mom is a 4a/b and the 4b parts of her hair have no curl pattern. My sister is cnapp and has no curl pattern.

so, did you recognize your curl pattern right after b'cing?? or did you have to wait until it grew some to tell?

Ramya

How short is your TWA and how are you styling it? Wet my hair doesn't have a visible curl pattern due to the weight of the water/products on the hair but as it drys it curls up. My hair doesn't look like it did when I first BC'd but it's not a major change. You may be 4b or a CNapp. Just keep your hair moisturized well and if you have a curl pattern you will be able to see it.

Stiletto_Diva

My hair was the same way after the big chop. My hair had no curl and was just poofy. It was like a frizz ball. After a few months my hair started to show its true texture and kink up. I think it was from the relaxed hair stretching out the new growth.

TCatt86

Well you could have hair that is more kinky than curly. Maybe you should try styles where the curls are set, like twistouts and coil outs.

Ladybelle

i couldn't add the pics to the first post,but here they go. Am i right about my hair texture?

Thanks

Attachments

• GEDC0032.jpg
    GEDC0032.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 86
  • GEDC0064.jpg
    GEDC0064.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Ladybelle

How short is your TWA and how are you styling it? Wet my hair doesn't have a visible curl pattern due to the weight of the water/products on the hair but as it drys it curls up. My hair doesn't look like it did when I first BC'd but it's not a major change. You may be 4b or a CNapp. Just keep your hair moisturized well and if you have a curl pattern you will be able to see it.

i added pics so you can see the twa & i haven't been styling it- i've been keeping it in braids. Moisture, i think maybe i need to modify my moisture routine. I tend to only add moisture when i take my braids down to deep condition and maybe once a week.

Ladybelle

btw- your hair is too cute! i love that style.

Ladybelle

My hair was the same way after the big chop. My hair had no curl and was just poofy. It was like a frizz ball. After a few months my hair started to show its true texture and kink up. I think it was from the relaxed hair stretching out the new growth.

did you do anything in particular to help your hair along?? Your hair is cute too!!! I'm jealous of all of ya'll!! What method did you employ to get that straight look in your siggy?? The pony puff/fro is super cute too.

jennboo

From the pics you posted (they are a bit blurry) it looks as though you may be 4b. Your hair does not appear to have a defined curl pattern naturally (from the pics you posted) and that is okay...

Many people claim to have experienced scab hair, where the initial new growth is dry, frizzy, and undefined....after a few months the hair emerges from the scalp in a more curly/coily/soft texture.

But it is also highly likely that your hair may just be the way it is now, which is fine too :yep:

If you want the look of curly, defined hair, you can wet set it in a variety of ways: straw sets, larger rod sets, braid outs, twist outs, bantu knot outs.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ladybelle

From the pics you posted (they are a bit blurry) it looks as though you may be 4b. Your hair does not appear to have a defined curl pattern naturally (from the pics you posted) and that is okay...

Many people claim to have experienced scab hair, where the initial new growth is dry, frizzy, and undefined....after a few months the hair emerges from the scalp in a more curly/coily/soft texture.

But it is also highly likely that you hair may just be the way it is now, which is fine too :yep:

If you want the look of curly, defined hair, you can wet set it in a variety of ways: straw sets, larger rod sets, braid outs, twist outs, bantu knot outs.

Good luck!

i hope the bolded is me.... but either way, I'll deal with it. Thanks again!!

Stiletto_Diva

did you do anything in particular to help your hair along?? Your hair is cute too!!! I'm jealous of all of ya'll!! What method did you employ to get that straight look in your siggy?? The pony puff/fro is super cute too.

Nope. I just let my hair be. I wore alot of wash and go's. I wouldn't recommend wearing wash and go's because it ruined my ends and I had to have a good three inches cut off:wallbash:. I was just looking back at my hair when I first BC'd and I realize my my hair looked like a hot uneven mess:lachen:. But I didn't care because I was loving being natural:drunk:.

The small pic with my hair straight was done at a salon. The bigger pic of the straight hair is a wig.

donewit-it

My issue with my natural hair is after about 2 years of being natural, the front of my hair lost it's curl pattern. I thought it was from constantly wearing puffs pulled back. I may be wrong:ohwell: Anyways, now after coming up on 3 years of being natural my hair in front lacks curl definition ( massive clouds) but the back and sides have retained their 4a curl pattern.

It is what it is

Last edited:

shocol

I agree. Give your hair as much moisture as it can take without damage. If you have any type of curl pattern at all, the moisture will help to bring it out.

mkd

Nope. I just let my hair be. I wore alot of wash and go's. I wouldn't recommend wearing wash and go's because it ruined my ends and I had to have a good three inches cut off:wallbash:. I was just looking back at my hair when I first BC'd and I realize my my hair looked like a hot uneven mess:lachen:. But I didn't care because I was loving being natural:drunk:.

The small pic with my hair straight was done at a salon. The bigger pic of the straight hair is a wig.

I have just figured out that I am ruining my ends with wash and go's too. I am sad about it because I like them but I have to stop doing them. I just got a trim about 2 months ago and when I went to the stylist saturday, my ends were jacked up and I had to get trimmed again.

Ladybelle

My issue with my natural hair is after about 2 years of being natural, the front of my hair lost it's curl pattern. I thought it was front constantly wearing puffs pulled back. I may be wrong:ohwell: Anyways, now after coming up on 3 years of being natural my hair in front lacks curl definition ( massive clouds) but the back and sides have retained their 4a curl pattern.

It is what it is

Wow! I thought natural hair care would be less complicated than relaxed hair, but I am finding it requires just as much knowledge and wherewithal to have healthy hair - no matter what state it's in. Live & learn i guess.

Ladybelle

I have just figured out that I am ruining my ends with wash and go's too. I am sad about it because I like them but I have to stop doing them. I just got a trim about 2 months ago and when I went to the stylist saturday, my ends were jacked up and I had to get trimmed again.

I appreciate the insight on Wash & go's because i just started doing them on dd's hair, I'll have to not do it as much to make sure her ends stay healthy. That's too bad though because it's such a nice & easy style.

mkd

I appreciate the insight on Wash & go's because i just started doing them on dd's hair, I'll have to not do it as much to make sure her ends stay healthy. That's too bad though because it's such a nice & easy style.

It may work for your DD but my hair is very fine and splits easily. I am also growing out color so my ends are pretty dry anyway.

Determined22

I could see my curl pattern even before I BC'ed. My hair makes perfect little corkscrew curls. In some places they are bigger or smaller, and in the very front its either a loose coil or just waves.

lashannasmall

Your hair may change or it may not. You have to deal with it for what it is right now. If you hold a seed of hope in your heart that it may change, you will never be able to be happy with your natural hair.

Everybody doesn't have wavy/curly hair. You may be a C-Napp or 4B(such as myself). Learn to love it.

Pandora1975

When I started this I had little to no texture at all in the front. I've been adding moisture like mad and coils/waves popped out. I figured out that flat ironing was part of the problem, I haven't done that in 2 weeks.

NikStarrr

Yea, I was going to say, how did you wear your most when transitioning? If you flat-ironed regulary while transitioning, you may have altered your natural texture...