Successfully Using Electric Combs Without Inflicting Heat Damage

RossBoss

I want to be able to press my hair once per week without permanently damaging my hair's natural curl pattern. I will be deep conditioning with Queen Helene Cholesterol and castor oil, then slathering on a leave in conditioner and let it air dry. Once it's dry I will apply a heat protectant and press. I do not want to lose my curl pattern so I'm wondering if there are any other ladies who are faithful hot comb users who press their hair on a regular basis and their hair is still thriving. What is the lowest temperature that you use that can straighten your hair? I am a type 4a.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I want to be able to press my hair once per week without permanently damaging my hair's natural curl pattern. I will be deep conditioning with Queen Helene Cholesterol and castor oil, then slathering on a leave in conditioner and let it air dry. Once it's dry I will apply a heat protectant and press. I do not want to lose my curl pattern so I'm wondering if there are any other ladies who are faithful hot comb users who press their hair on a regular basis and their hair is still thriving. What is the lowest temperature that you use that can straighten your hair? I am a type 4a.

I think this frequency may impact your curl pattern. That's a lot of heat on a weekly basis.

I can't add anything or address your questions. But I am avid, faithful hot comb user. But electric ones do nothing for my hair. I am put the stove on the oven or in the oven type of presser. I bought a pressing oven here but every time I plug it in my lights go out! I dislike the look that flat irons give my hair.I've not had a good press in 6 years.

RossBoss

I think this frequency may impact your curl pattern. That's a lot of heat on a weekly basis.

I can't add anything or address your questions. But I am avid, faithful hot comb user. But electric ones do nothing for my hair. I am put the stove on the oven or in the oven type of presser. I bought a pressing oven here but every time I plug it in my lights go out! I dislike the look that flat irons give my hair.I've not had a good press in 6 years.

Darnnit to the first sentence! I love my curl pattern and do not want to change it. I was afraid that even once per week would be too much but I wanted to confirm here on lhcf.

I had no idea that there was a difference between an electric hot comb and a stove heated hot comb, but now that I think about it, I guess there would be a difference considering that gas based stoves are better than electric based ones....gas cooks the food better. Wonder if it's the same concept?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Darnnit to the first sentence! I love my curl pattern and do not want to change it. I was afraid that even once per week would be too much but I wanted to confirm here on lhcf.

I had no idea that there was a difference between an electric hot comb and a stove heated hot comb, but now that I think about it, I guess there would be a difference considering that gas based stoves are better than electric based ones....gas cooks the food better. Wonder if it's the same concept?

I have to agree with @Chicoro. You can search older threads here to see so many raving about being a straightened natural AT FIRST.... Only to find that gradually over time they realize problems cropping up that relate back to regular (read weekly) heat use.

Can you cut usage back to once a month with roller sets in between?

Forgot to mention, hot combs heat more evenly than flat irons. With experienced & correct use, they can do the job without damaging the hair.

Chicoro

I have to agree with @Chicoro. You can search older threads here to see so many raving about being a straightened natural AT FIRST.... Only to find that gradually over time they realize problems cropping up that relate back to regular (read weekly) heat use.

Forgot to mention, hot combs heat more evenly than flat irons. With experienced & correct use, they can do the job without damaging the hair.

I didn't know this. But this makes sense because I have all kinds of texture left on my head after 8 passes of the flat iron. The 8 passes was an exaggeration. The pressing comb gets my hair silky straight. It gets all the bumpy texture off my hair. My hair seems soft and moist, too. With the flat iron, my hair seems dry, inflexible and dull looking.

@RossBoss ,
You have to be honest with yourself and make several choices. First, are you willing to live with heat damage? Because one thing is for sure, regular heat application will create some form of heat damage. That damage may be immediate or cumulative. It's inevitable as stated by @mzteaze.

The next thing you have to ask yourself, and answer honestly is to determine what is more important to you: health of your hair or style. I love heat straightened hair. It looks cute while it's straightened but can you live with the possibility of damaging the length and health you have?

There is no right or wrong answer. But since you started your original post with mentioning a concern about the possibility of permanently damaging your hair, then perhaps you are not ready to take the risk. Because taking a risk is being willing to accept the consequences when things don't work out in your favor. In this case, that would be getting burned literally and figuratively and ending up with heat-damaged hair.

Evolving78

I like old school with a little bit of modernity thrown in:lachen:Queen Helene just works for my hair so I continue to use it.

I have type 4a hair and I prefer the look I get when I use a hot comb over a flat iron...I wonder if the difference is all in my head??
I have 4a hair and it takes a lot to straighten my hair. I used the hot comb on my roots, then pressed the rest out with a flat iron. If you are trying to get a silk press, then yes, you will alter your curl pattern.
Silk press period will alter anyone’s hair.

If you don’t want to alter your curl pattern, then use low heat period. You won’t get bone straight results, but your hair will revert with no problem.
What pressing cream do you use?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@RossBoss what about blow drying weekly? As 4as, we get quite silky with a good blowout. I remember you saying that you like roller sets and soft curls. You could blow dry weekly with pretty minimal damage and then set on the blownout hair with a bit of foam.

RossBoss

I tried to rollerset once since I have been natural and it was a disaster. I am going to try it again this weekend.

RossBoss

Could you do every 2-3 weeks?
Maybe wear buns or set the hair on rollers in between?
Your texture will definitely be altered weekly. Old school pressers like my grandma did it maybe once a month.

I am thinking that is why Black women wash their hair so infrequently. To make the press last a long time. Thinking about it now it seems like I will only press when I want to trim split ends.

RossBoss

I didn't know this. But this makes sense because I have all kinds of texture left on my head after 8 passes of the flat iron. The 8 passes was an exaggeration. The pressing comb gets my hair silky straight. It gets all the bumpy texture off my hair. My hair seems soft and moist, too. With the flat iron, my hair seems dry, inflexible and dull looking.

@RossBoss ,
You have to be honest with yourself and make several choices. First, are you willing to live with heat damage? Because one thing is for sure, regular heat application will create some form of heat damage. That damage may be immediate or cumulative. It's inevitable as stated by @mzteaze.

The next thing you have to ask yourself, and answer honestly is to determine what is more important to you: health of your hair or style. I love heat straightened hair. It looks cute while it's straightened but can you live with the possibility of damaging the length and health you have?

There is no right or wrong answer. But since you started your original post with mentioning a concern about the possibility of permanently damaging your hair, then perhaps you are not ready to take the risk. Because taking a risk is being willing to accept the consequences when things don't work out in your favor. In this case, that would be getting burned literally and figuratively and ending up with heat-damaged hair.

I definitely don't want any damage whatsoever. I don't want to lose my curl pattern as I think it's beautiful. Health of hair is more important than style that's for sure.

RossBoss

I have 4a hair and it takes a lot to straighten my hair. I used the hot comb on my roots, then pressed the rest out with a flat iron. If you are trying to get a silk press, then yes, you will alter your curl pattern.
Silk press period will alter anyone’s hair.

If you don’t want to alter your curl pattern, then use low heat period. You won’t get bone straight results, but your hair will revert with no problem.
What pressing cream do you use?

Thanks. I planned to use the Fantasia Frizz Straightening Cream.

RossBoss

@RossBoss what about blow drying weekly? As 4as, we get quite silky with a good blowout. I remember you saying that you like roller sets and soft curls. You could blow dry weekly with pretty minimal damage and then set on the blownout hair with a bit of foam.

I MIGHT consider this. When I was relaxed blow dryers were a no-no, only hooded dryers to roller set. Never liked blow dryers but I certainly need to change my technique with my natural hair. And I do love soft curls and the last rollerset I did came out frizzy. I am going to try to do it again this week to see if I can get a better result.

Evolving78

I MIGHT consider this. When I was relaxed blow dryers were a no-no, only hooded dryers to roller set. Never liked blow dryers but I certainly need to change my technique with my natural hair. And I do love soft curls and the last rollerset I did came out frizzy. I am going to try to do it again this week to see if I can get a better result.
Roller sets dried under the dryer has always worked for me. Oh and I never in life have had a silky blow out! My may have curls and coils, but I would have to have the blow dryer on Hell in order to achieve that as a natural, or with relaxed hair! Lol
The steam iron maybe helpful too.

I am relaxed, but I just flat ironed my hair. No tangles, no knots, hair can accept products better..
Heat maybe your friend. Just gotta find out what type of heat setting/styling will work.

I was straightening my natural often last year and my hair reverted back with no problem.

Evolving78

Perhaps you can try a steampod. I ditched all my flat irons once I got one. And hair is never stiff! So far no heat damage. Knock on wood.
What’s a steam pod? Like a steam iron? I bought one, then I returned it.. I would rather have a steam iron with no teeth. I want one with straight plates.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Perhaps you can try a steampod. I ditched all my flat irons once I got one. And hair is never stiff! So far no heat damage. Knock on wood.
Are you in the UK? I have always wanted a Steampod but last I checked they were only available there.

Chicoro

It's a white lady, but she gives a pretty detailed review. This is the one I have.

"It's a white lady, but she gives a pretty detailed review."
:lachen:

I wanted to know what this was. Thank you for sifting through the videos to find us a good one! Since you vetted the information for us, and you posted it, we are going to trust the information!

Last edited:

ajoke

"It's a white lady, but she gives a pretty detailed review."
:lachen:

I wanted to know what this was. Thank you for sifting through the videos to find us a good one! Since you vetted the information for us, and you posted it, we are going to trust the information!

Lol. Fusion of cultures review is also good but she goes more into the usage than on the equipment itself.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm 4a and I used to prefer my electric pressing comb to my flat iron for straight hair. The flat iron just didn't give me consistent results (probably user error). Now, I have a straightening brush, which is safer in my opinion than my pressing comb because it is ceramic, has wider prongs and has more temperature options. I don't use high heat, so my hair turns out straighter than a blow out but not silk press straight.

momi

With weekly use your curl pattern will definitely change. Even with occasional use over time you will more than likely find that your curls are looser.

I'd suggest monthly use of direct heat. You can stretch the press for two weeks and then do a roller set or wear it in it's natural state for two.

I'm a fairly loose 4a and I love heat. When my hair was longer I could just blow dry very straight and then curl my hair. The base of a good press/flat iron is a straight blow-dry.

Stormy

I use both a flat iron and pressing comb once a month. I use the pressing comb primarily for my edges and roots. I may go back over my edges with the pressing comb once more during the month depending on how much I've sweated and what I can't cover up with a suitable style. My hair is 4b, however it's fine so I have to be very careful with heat damage. So, although I put the electric pressing comb at 400 the first time, if I have to go over it that one time again during the month I drop it down 350 or somewhere near there.

I certainly can't and wouldn't advise using a pressing comb once a week if you can help it. Oh, and I also do bantu knot-outs which hide or blend in with the edges. That keeps me from having to use the heat so often.

Chicoro

I'm 4a and I used to prefer my electric pressing comb to my flat iron for straight hair. The flat iron just didn't give me consistent results (probably user error). Now, I have a straightening brush, which is safer in my opinion than my pressing comb because it is ceramic, has wider prongs and has more temperature options. I don't use high heat, so my hair turns out straighter than a blow out but not silk press straight.

Hi @uofmpanther ,

Can you share the name of the product, please? Do you have a link or photo?