I THINK MSM GAVE ME EARTH SHATTERING...

LivingDoll

GAS! :blush: OMG...did this happen to anyone else? I only took it for 2 days! I'd heard about the strange & vivid dreams which I also had but the gas was PAINFUL & PARALYZING...it would make me freeze in mid step! :look:

Last edited:
No I have not heard that yet. I stopped my MSM because of the breakouts. Please tell me you discontinued use.

yes :spinning: I've had this problem. I'm a MSM lover though I just take gas-x :)

eta:

I've taken emergen-c with MSM also... and I'll take it at night so I don't have inconvenient gas. The pills are a little better than the powder as far as that is concerned.

Last edited:
yes :spinning: I've had this problem. I'm a MSM lover though I just take gas-x :)

eta:

I've taken emergen-c with MSM also... and I'll take it at night so I don't have inconvenient gas. The pills are a little better than the powder as far as that is concerned.

What is emergen-c? I took it at night when I took my Hair Vits, Flaxseed Oil Pills and Super B Complex. The gas didn't strike until the 3rd day at about 5:00pm. I was like, WTF?

what is msm?

Hello and Welcome!

This is taken verbatim from Gymfreak's Complete Vitamin Guide

MSM, Glucosamine, Sulphur bearing amino acids

MSM
Msm is a Methylsulfonylmethane, which is an organic source of sulphur. Msm is present in many foods such as raw fruits, vegetables, milk, and some grain products. Msm is very fragile and processing and cooking depletes foods of their msm content. This is all the more reason to add it to your supplement regime. Msm is a water soluble mineral and any excess is flushed out your system every 12 hours. Amounts as high as 2000mg/kg have been administered for testing purposes without any signs of toxicity. Msm is sold in powder form either in loose form or enclosed in capsules. Msm is also used to help treat other ailments from joint stiffness to allergies. Msm also has a cleansing effect on your system. Some people experience headaches and skin breakouts when first beginning supplementation. One way to avoid this is to start off with a low dose and slowly build up to higher doses. Some people also experience vivid dreams when taking msm. You also need to consume enough water to make sure that you a fully hydrated. The water usually helps speed up the elimination of the toxins msm sweeps out. There are no known harmful long or short term effects of Msm supplementation.

The benefits as for as hair and skin are concerned from msm supplementation are softer skin and hair, improved texture of skin and hair, and improved growth. Since Msm adds sulfur to your body, alot of people notice a softer and smoother texture of hair. Many also experience increased growth and density. When deciding on how to incorporate Msm in your vitamin regime, you first need to consider the brand you want to use. There are many brands out there to choose from and you need to be selective and get the best quality. Optimsm and Lignusil msm are patented forms of msm that many have used with success. These types of msm are packaged under many different brand names. Most brands list which kind of msm they have used on the package. Distillpure is another popular brand that is derived from pine. You need to also consider your delivery method. Using the loose powder that comes in jar is the most popular way to use msm. You get better absorption this way and it is more economical. All you have to do with the powder is mix a little with water or your favorite juice. I recommend you mix it with something that has a little vitamin c because vitamin c helps absorption. When starting Msm supplementation, start at a low dose and slowly build up from there. This will give you time to learn how your body responds so you can adjust your water intake or vitamin c intake as you see fit. After you have gotten used to Msm, you can take as much as you can stand. Some ladies here take as little as 2000mg to 30,000mg with great results.

This is the complete thread.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=132569&highlight=vitamin*

Last edited:
What is emergen-c? I took it at night when I took my Hair Vits, Flaxseed Oil Pills and Super B Complex. The gas didn't strike until the 3rd day at about 5:00pm. I was like, WTF?

This is the exact emergen-c I'm currently using

each pack has 1000mg of MSM plus other vit & minerals. You mix it in your drink like alka-seltzer. I thought for a moment that THAT is what gave me gas but it may infact be the MSM.

The gas comes on quickly for me so I've been able to manage it somewhat.

Demi DC...where do you get it from? Are you taking this in addition to MSM? How's MSM working for you? I want to continue use but the gas is no joke! :nono:

Demi DC...where do you get it from? Are you taking this in addition to MSM? How's MSM working for you? I want to continue use but the gas is no joke! :nono:

I am taking this instead of my regular MSM pills... I bought it at the grocery store in the vitamin aisle....

When I take MSM orally I benefit by having more energy and less aches and pains this is the main reason I even bother taking it orally.

I get the same effects on my hair by applying the product directly to my hair.. if the gas doesn't get better you may want to try just mixing MSM liquid or powder in your conditioner?

I am taking this instead of my regular MSM pills... I bought it at the grocery store in the vitamin aisle....

When I take MSM orally I benefit by having more energy and less aches and pains this is the main reason I even bother taking it orally.

I get the same effects on my hair by applying the product directly to my hair.. if the gas doesn't get better you may want to try just mixing MSM liquid or powder in your conditioner?

Okay, thanks! I didn't know it would be beneficial as a topical growth aid.

Back