MSM= weird menstrual cycle?

Imani

I don't think MSM did anything to my menstrual cycle or to my breast size (the only thing i've experienced that makes my breasts larger are birth control). I was taking it at the same time as biotin back in the spring/summer. It made my new growth much softer and looser which i liked. But it was messing up my skin, it looked REALLY horrible no matter how much water i drank. And I'm sure it was the MSM bc when i would stop taking it my skin would clear up some. I already have oily skin, and the MSM was making it oilier and i was breaking out on my face, back, and upper arms and sometimes even itching.

I was taking 1000-1500 in the capsule.

seymone

This is interesting because I have been taking MSM and biotin for a little less than a week and I started spotting today.. It could very well be my period.. What I am going to do is use up what I have and then if the issue still persist then I will take it out of my regime...

lovely008

i found some vague info about msm from the mayo clinic site

"Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use. Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/msm/AN00560

So it's basically it's to be used at your own risk :perplexed I was really looking foward to the skin effects of this but i guess i'll look elsewhere....

is everyone still having problems with it?

Dymondz7

lovely008 said:
i found some vague info about msm from the mayo clinic site

"Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use. Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/msm/AN00560

So it's basically it's to be used at your own risk :perplexed I was really looking foward to the skin effects of this but i guess i'll look elsewhere....

is everyone still having problems with it?

Thank you for sharing this info lovely008

Precious_P

I take MSM and I have positive results. I have severe arthritis in my spine and my knee and I hardly ever have to take pain medication for it any more. My hair and nails grow like crazy. I am NOT taking a high dosage. As a health care professional I would advise those of you you that are taking more than 1500 mg and having unwanted sympotoms to simply reduce your dose. There may not be a need to stop taking it all together. Also, Evening Primrose's stated prupose is to balance mood for those that suffer mood swings with PMS so it will have an effect on your hormone balance. That's what it is used for. It is important that when you start any vitamin regimen that you start slowly and gradually increase. Vitamins, herbs and mineral can have positive and negative effects on your body and you need to be careful and not shock your body with something new.

For thos of you that have purchased MSM and have not taken them. do not waste your money by throwing them away. Start out with a small dose 500-1000mg and gradually increase until you have desired results. If you find that you do not like it then stop taking it or reduce your dosage.

Remember that supplements can have interactions with other supplements or medications. Be smart and do your research when ever you decide to put something new in your body.

Last edited:

Maxitonia

I loved taking MSM for many reasons, it makes my hair grow really fast, also it decreased major chest pain I had all the time that was making me worry all the time what is wrong with me, unfortunately doctors don't know anything about vitamins/ supplements I tried twice to ask my doctor and she seemed to know nothing about them except for advising me to take a multi. MSM does effect my skin in keeping my acne down a litle bit. The thing that concerned me is that it made my period come 10 days early and sometimes it was 2 weeks late. Recently I have swollen glands right underneath my ears coming down to my throat, I'm not sure what's happening now and I'm going to see my doctor this week for that. I was taking 1000 mcg in addition to 500 mcg in my hair vitamin.

Nice Lady

Ladies, I officially dumped the MSM pills this past Saturday. I felt like a balloon--my breasts were enormous and painful. I felt like the GoodYear Hot Air Balloon and it was terrible. My stomach was gassy and I had cramps bad for this period--which stopped about a year ago.

I lost 3 lbs after dumping these pills in 2 days and lost 1 more yesterday. Talk about bloating is going down. I bet by the end of this week I will return lighter. Sigh!:lachen:

BlackHairDiva

Ok im glad i asked this,, i see some others are having these symptoms also, im gonna watch and see if i go down to normal size once my period is over,, I also noticed some spotting just a couple of days b4 i shouldve,, I have to say I find this a tad worrying becuz how do we all know that this stuff isnt messing with out hormones in a way thats unhealthy , like exposing us to too much of something that could result in cancer,, sorry to be a drag on this but its important to keep your eyes open and listen to your body,, I think its wise to speak get a professional opinion on this and I hope to do that soon,, any input anyone??

That is why I stopped!!! I went from 5 days to 1 or 2 days. My periods practically disappeared. :nono::nono: That scared me cause I don't have kids yet and I want to have kids. So i kicked MSM to the curve..that was 2006. Today, my cycle is not fully back in order either...I still have odd periods.

lilmsjanet

yes i realized this too i when i was taking powdered msm heavily like a drug addict i realized my cycle was off a little it would only last for 2 days and then be over usually it would last a whole week. it scared me but i did loose alot of weight thow

Last edited:

mariofmagdal

All the symptoms you all have described are acurate and will subside after a month or two. These are the natural detox side affects of MSM, I take 12g per day and went through the same. It will pass. You have the option to scale back your dose until you are comfortable, or you can continue through the symptoms, which would really be the best option. However, it is your body and if you have fear then you have to follow your own feelings. I have had otherwise excellent results. My children ages 5, 7, and 8 each take 1000mg per day with no problems. The pros certainly outweigh the cons if you can bear it. I hope this helps someone.

kroeskop

I had to come home early today from work because of sever pmdd cramps---I wonder of the MSM/primrose oild I've been taking is making it worse...Please help!!!

Mdmommy99

I had to come home early today from work because of sever pmdd cramps---I wonder of the MSM/primrose oild I've been taking is making it worse...Please help!!!

When I was pregnant Evening Primrose oil was one of the things they suggested taking over time to stregnthen contractions to aid in delivery so I would imagine that could have something to do with it.

kroeskop

thanks ladies. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to see my GYN to discuss, cause todays pains had yourgirl CRYING like a baby.First thing Imma toss is the GNC Energy pills (oops it has caffeine) and is probably theculprit,if that doesn't work the evening primrose will go next month and the msm. Will keep you updated

HeChangedMyName

thanks ladies. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to see my GYN to discuss, cause todays pains had yourgirl CRYING like a baby.First thing Imma toss is the GNC Energy pills (oops it has caffeine) and is probably theculprit,if that doesn't work the evening primrose will go next month and the msm. Will keep you updated

awww poor dear. I hope you get some relief. Get checked for fibroids if you haven't already been checked. painful cramps that have you crying like that can be symptomatic of other underlying issues.

southerncitygirl

no issues but i also take a multi,calcium, evening primrose, green powder and emergen-c ( has all the b vitamins too). my cpms symtoms have gotten better from the ev. primrose. i take 2,000 a day right now and drink a ton of water, herbal tea, white/green tea.

lovelexi

I've been taking GNC Ultra-Nourish Hair twice a day for about a month which contain both biotin and MSM. My period is late and about a week ago I was really bloated with tender breasts. I was scared...so scared that I took multiple HPT (all came back negative) because my period is usually regular. Could my vitamins have something to do with the irregularity?

kupenda

Oh I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread. I have been taking between 1000 and 3000 mg daily and I have all of the symptoms discussed. My nails are whiter and stronger, weight gain, lovely breasts (heheheee), and emotional unsteadiness. My bf couldn't understand my mood swings. We were about to break up. My period symptoms are starting a week earlier but I don't have any issues with knee pain now. I need this stuff for the knee pain control but I will decrease my dosage. Can't say Ive noticed any benefits for my hair

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Mmmm when I was taking MSM it made my period lighter and lessened the cramps and PMS symptoms. My cycle is already irregular so I have no idea if that effected it in anyway. The other lovely symptom I have gotten are bigger breasts. It does help to lessen joint pain which is the reason why I started taking it to begin with. I have gotten nothing but positive results from taking about 2,000 to 3,000 mg daily.

Seamonster

Hum, my cycle got a day longer since I have been taking MSM, EPO, and Fenugreek. Maybe I need to start taking acv, because my small D's are hanging so low I may never be able to claim BSL if I don't do something. :lachen:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Hum, my cycle got a day longer since I have been taking MSM, EPO, and Fenugreek. Maybe I need to start taking acv, because my small D's are hanging so low I may never be able to claim BSL if I don't do something. :lachen:
:lachen::lachen:You call D's small? :lol: What's EPO?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
@Ravengirl :grin: :lachen:I am a 32D, so if I put on some weight, I would be able to wear a 34C. EPO is evening primrose oil.
Ooooh, ok. :grin: We're about the same size then; I was like since when is that considered small?! :lachen:So what does evening primrose oil do?
ETA: Doing some research... looks like it can be used to help with eczema. Might have to try it.

Last edited:

Seamonster

Ooooh, ok. :grin: We're about the same size then; I was like since when is that considered small?! :lachen:So what does evening primrose oil do?

EPO is a catch all, it contains a high amount of GLA fatty acids. Those acids appear to workhorses for the body. Below are the main things, I highlight my reason for taking it.
Relieve the discomforts of PMS, menopause, menstruation, endometriosis and fibrocystic breasts
Ease the joint pain and swelling of rheumatoid arthritis
Prevent diabetes-associated nerve damage
Reduce the symptoms of eczema
Help treat acne and rosacea
Combat damage from multiple sclerosis
Treat Alzheimer's-related memory deficiencies
Counter impotence and female infertility
Nourish nails, scalp, and hair
Prevent alcohol withdrawal symptoms (drop a little in your egg nog and whiskey)

LilMissSunshine5

This thread is so on time...I have been taking it for ~2 months and my cycle has gone nuts! I have it every 3 weeks now :nono: I am trying to hang in, but I give it a month or two more before I quit :cry3: I will be sad bc my hair and skin have thrived (and my knees are doing so much better)! But I will let it go if this crazy cycle stuff doesn't normalize soon though :ohwell:

CandyCurls

This thread is so on time...I have been taking it for ~2 months and my cycle has gone nuts! I have it every 3 weeks now :nono: I am trying to hang in, but I give it a month or two more before I quit :cry3: I will be sad bc my hair and skin have thrived (and my knees are doing so much better)! But I will let it go if this crazy cycle stuff doesn't normalize soon though :ohwell:

What is your dosage?

Aggie

@LilMissSunshine5, This was happening to me when I first started taking 1000mg of msm daily as well. At first I did not know it was the msm causing this issue but when I increased it to 2000mg daily, it subsided and became normal.

Now I am taking 4000mg and 5000mg daily alternately. I have to admit, I didn't even have any pms symtems my last period.I love MSM because it really helps me with some wrist joint pain issues I have been having.

By the way, I take Evening Primrose Oil as well.