MSM= weird menstrual cycle?

Divine Inspiration

MSM has been wonderful for me cycle. I don't have any cramping during that time, and PMS is a thing of the past. On top of that, my periods are short and sweet and not super heavy. I feel balanced.

Dymondz7

Thank you very starting this thread! I started taking 1500 mg of MSM per day last week and oddly enough my cycle started a week early! It's a bit heavier but there is absolutely no cramping, which is not usual for me. Humm I must admit a I a bit concerned because I'm always like clock work without much deviation.

I'm going to do some more research because I'm not sure if I want to continue to take something that throws off my natural cycle.....

Anyone else have any updates on the side effects, both positive and negative, they've experienced from taking MSM? If so, what dosage are you taking?

ItsyBitsy

Im intersested in this as well. I purchased msm from trader joes yesterday but im holding off taking it until I do more research. Lord knows I don't any new problems with my monthly cycle :perplexed

locoabouthair

DIONNE31 said:
Im intersested in this as well. I purchased msm from trader joes yesterday but im holding off taking it until I do more research. Lord knows I don't any new problems with my monthly cycle :perplexed

I also I have the ones from trader joes- I've been taking them for almost a month- no issues to date.However I've noticed NO achey joints. Someone pointed out I haven't been complaining about achiness with all this damn rain we've had.

brandy

I had problems when I was taking MSM!! First of all it messed up my monthly periods by making it a week late and when it did come it was light and lasted 3 days instead of 5 days.
There is no history of breast lumps on my mum's side of the family. Non of my sisters or cousins ever had a breast lump but I developed a breast lump the same year I started taking MSM!! I had to stop taking it and then threw the remaining bottles in a bin! I think I was taking between 2500 to 4000mg. Anyway the lump was benign, thank God!!

Dymondz7

Oh my Godness Brandy I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with MSM. Thanks for posting it however because I'm thinking I need to take MSM out of my supplement regimen. Did you consult your physician to inquire if there was a correlation? Also you were taking a very high dosage....

I dunno I would rather be safe than sorry so I'll hold off on taking this supplement. My cycle is rarely off and MSM is the only new thing in my routine at the moment.....so I'm sure it's the culprit.

If there are other ladies who have had issues with MSM, both positive and negative please share.....

about a month ago i stopped taking MSM due to weight loss and upset of my menstrual cycle,, i had spotting all month and dreadfully heavy periods since i had started OPtiMSM, im sorry to hear about your experience, brandy,, this should be an eye opener to everyone whos using it..........

VirtuousGal

I'd have to say it does , my period use to come like every 28 to 29 weeks but now its 3 weeks, which scares me...

Spidergul

I have been experincing a change in my cycle too!!!!:eek: :confused:
I thought I was going through the change already. My cycle comes when it wants to and stays as long as a month!!:confused: And heavy the whole time (tmi)I have been just miserable for the past 3 months! I have been taking it for over almost a year now, just a 1/2 teasoon a day in orange juice.

Dymondz7

Hi Kristal, did you mean every 28 to 29 days? Or did you mean weeks? After reviewing this thread I've decided to put the MSM on hold. I'm not convinced enough is known about it, and for it to have such a major impact doesn't settle to well with me.....IMHO

Spidergul

Dymondz7 said:
Hi Kristal, did you mean every 28 to 29 days? Or did you mean weeks? After reviewing this thread I've decided to put the MSM on hold. I'm not convinced enough is known about it, and for it to have such a major impact doesn't settle to well with me.....IMHO

I was going to ask the same questions, but thought I was just reading it wrong..:confused:

Spidergul

Needless to say, starting today I have taken MSM and Biotin out of my vitamin regime. I think I will stick to the basics, a multi vit, vit c, iron and maybe a b vit or 2.:ohwell:

I was really not seeing that much results anyhoo. My nails seem stronger, but they still break all the time. As for my hair, I think bagging and wearing a :censored: bun everyday helped more than anything.:perplexed

I am not sure MSM or Biotin are the culprits, but my cycle and moods have been out of whack for about 4 months and that is about how long I have been taking both.:confused: :( Since I've reached my mid 40's I thought all was a normal part of the change, it still could be. But I don't want to speed it up any.:ohwell:

sunshinecoffee22

I am upset just brought msm today, and I am afraid to take them.:mad:
I don't know if it will make my period irregular ?
Did any one seen any improvement as far as there hair?:confused:

Dymondz7

Humm, there are a lot of people who have not had any problems so you might not....you might consider taking it for a week or so and see what happens, and maybe in a small dose and slowly increase....i noticed problems within a week......

XXXtacy

sunshinecoffee22 said:
I am upset just brought msm today, and I am afraid to take them.:mad:
I don't know if it will make my period irregular ?
Did any one seen any improvement as far as there hair?:confused:

I have had major success with MSM. Hair, nails and skin. I can not tell you how much hair growth since I am int the hide your hair until the end of the year challenge. My hair on my eyebrows are thicker and eyelashes too. My hair texture is a lot softer or pliable than before. My joints don't hurt and skin looks fab. I followed the instructions and took lots of water. You should know if your body will like it or not within a week or two.

Here's to your health.

kbragg

Well, I've been taking MSM for a month now and had the opposite happen I guess. My last period was October 6th, sore breasts, I'm hot all the time, I had a little spotting mid month and my hubby says I'm acting like I did when I was pregnant with Kayla. Also having really bad headaches...

Disclaimer: I don't use birth control so this may be symptoms of something else...:eek: I usually have 1 migraine a month the day before my period. I have had no problems with MSM up to this point and the headaches are coming more fequent. I'm also very sleepy all the time. My period's been irregular even before MSM coming every 30-33 days no later. Well now I'm at 41 days:eek: Afraid to take a preg test because my period always seems to start the day after I take one!:lachen:

jaded_faerie

Yes Ive had the weird menstrual cycle issue too with MSM. I had my period at the end of October and It came again 2 weeks later. I also had minimum menstrual cramps but a heavy flow for about 4days

AVNchick

Well, I'm glad I'm not tripping like I thought I was. I knew that MSM would possibly cause bad headaches. I only had them for 1 week after I started taking it. But the irregularity of my cycle had me really concerned. I cramped (not bad though) and spotted for a week before my period was supposed to start. Then, it came a couple days late, was very light, and only lasted 3 days (which is good). I hope it doesn't come again before the normal 28/29 days (which would NOT be good).

kbragg

Update: Speak of the Devil and her shall apear and so shall aunt flow!:mad: TMI my bad!:lol: Wanted to add though that my cycle hasn't been regular since the birth of my youngest. I got some Vitex & Dong Quai at Whole Foods and that's supposed to fix cycle problems FYI. I believe the cycle disturbances may be Biotin induced but I don't know. I read up on MSM and period fluctations are not on the list of side effects though it's not reccommended for pregnant or nursing women. I think Biotin may be the culprit though because it comes from meat and/or soy (which is an estrogen).

tallygirl

XXXtacy said:
I have had major success with MSM. Hair, nails and skin. I can not tell you how much hair growth since I am int the hide your hair until the end of the year challenge. My hair on my eyebrows are thicker and eyelashes too. My hair texture is a lot softer or pliable than before. My joints don't hurt and skin looks fab. I followed the instructions and took lots of water. You should know if your body will like it or not within a week or two.

Here's to your health.

I'm having the same effects.....my experience with MSM have been all positive......no joint pains, much improved hair, skin, and nails.