**I just walked out... my kind of hair my not welcomed... smh**

IrisDaVirus

@ LunadeMiel

As gorgeous as your hair I'm glad you walked out of both places. Trust no one else's hands in your hair except for your own. You obviously are doing a great job of caring for your hair. You don't need anybody else's hands in it.

LunadeMiel

It disheartens me that I see a BUNCH of generalizations in this thread that don't always ring true. My favorite stylist works in a Dominican salon, and while I have to say that the other girls aren't as skilled with 3c and type 4 hair as she is, there is no washing hair with dish soap or any of the other things I've seen in this thread. You don't have to be disrespectful and spread falsehoods just to get the point that you don't like their salons across.

Anyway, I'm glad you had the guts to get up and leave, OP. I have been going to the Dominican salon since I was transitioning, and I have never had any issues with any of the stylists doing my hair, so I know what you mean about having that expectation of not running into trouble. Sure, there are times when I get stuck with the "new" girl and she charges me $5-10 more solely because I am natural, and it's funny how sometimes I get charged the long hair rate and sometimes I don't, but I have never noticed that it takes longer for my hair to be set than anyone else that comes in there. If someone who had relaxed BSB hair and I both sat at the shampoo bowl at the same time, we'd probably leave the salon within a few minutes of each other. The only time I have felt that anger bubble up is when the light skinned 3a stylist looked at my 4b little sister like she was some sort of four-headed creature, then asked if she wanted a relaxer. My fave stylist quickly came over and rectified the situation by pushing the incompetent stylist out of the way (all while cursing at her in Spanish) and doing my sister's hair herself. Instead of rollersetting it, which seems to be what confused the girl, she had to bantu knot it to stretch it, and it was then that I realized the first girl's lack of experience with 4b natural hair is what made her screw her face up, not any type of prejudice or laziness. Some stylists, Dominican or American, are not that experienced with natural hair, but they should have just said so instead of making it seem like YOU had the problem.

So what happened? Did you end up going somewhere else? Did you do your hair at home? You can't leave us hanging without pics!

I agree with you. My regular stylist is Dominican and she takes great care of my hair. I wanted to go to a new place closer to me yesterday but I left work too late to make it there on time. I'm going to try and do it at home. Actually, I will be teaching DH how to rollerset :giggle:

Pulchritudinous

I'm not surprised. I went to Lila's in Norwalk, CT, except they were not as "nice". I walked in, took off my hat and asked how much they would charge for a blow out. She just shook her head and said, "No, no, we don't do that kind of hair". So, I left. Lila must be doing something wrong...

Simply_elle

Ot: OP I think your oxtail recipe has secured me a husband:spinning: My Bf (who's from Grenada) Loved it!!! Tried it on a whim... My American self thew down!

*Hugs* to you..
Sorry that people have issues with thick, beautiful natural hair... I hope that you have future success w/ a salon... Or some bomb A** results with your DIY:yep:

Ms Lala

It is better that they showed their true colors and you left than for them to act like they wanted to do your hair and jack it all up once you got in the chair. I've seen it happen. Find you a good natural stylist.

sheba1

What is going on with the salons these days? Or has it always been like this?

I was discriminated against in a black barber shop 10 years ago when I just had simple, healthy, shoulder length fro. All I wanted was a shampoo, condition and trim (I wasn't into length back then) and they looked at me like I had four heads. Then had the nerve to tell me I'd have to pay 6 times the normal cost even though the prices were posted right there on the wall. Yeah... not sure how long it has been going on but I know I'm daggon tired of it. Gotta get my DIY game tight since I'm gonna be WSL.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
It disheartens me that I see a BUNCH of generalizations in this thread that don't always ring true. My favorite stylist works in a Dominican salon, and while I have to say that the other girls aren't as skilled with 3c and type 4 hair as she is, there is no washing hair with dish soap or any of the other things I've seen in this thread. You don't have to be disrespectful and spread falsehoods just to get the point that you don't like their salons across.

Anyway, I'm glad you had the guts to get up and leave, OP. I have been going to the Dominican salon since I was transitioning, and I have never had any issues with any of the stylists doing my hair, so I know what you mean about having that expectation of not running into trouble. Sure, there are times when I get stuck with the "new" girl and she charges me $5-10 more solely because I am natural, and it's funny how sometimes I get charged the long hair rate and sometimes I don't, but I have never noticed that it takes longer for my hair to be set than anyone else that comes in there. If someone who had relaxed BSB hair and I both sat at the shampoo bowl at the same time, we'd probably leave the salon within a few minutes of each other. The only time I have felt that anger bubble up is when the light skinned 3a stylist looked at my 4b little sister like she was some sort of four-headed creature, then asked if she wanted a relaxer. My fave stylist quickly came over and rectified the situation by pushing the incompetent stylist out of the way (all while cursing at her in Spanish) and doing my sister's hair herself. Instead of rollersetting it, which seems to be what confused the girl, she had to bantu knot it to stretch it, and it was then that I realized the first girl's lack of experience with 4b natural hair is what made her screw her face up, not any type of prejudice or laziness. Some stylists, Dominican or American, are not that experienced with natural hair, but they should have just said so instead of making it seem like YOU had the problem.

So what happened? Did you end up going somewhere else? Did you do your hair at home? You can't leave us hanging without pics!

Ummmm, I dont think I was being disrepectful or spreading falsehoods I was stating what has happened to me in the past. I have heard horror stories about dominican salons and I am including my self in these horror stories. I mentioned the dishwashing detergent because I know what it smells like and it has happened to me. I was just explaining to the OP to be glad she did not stay because they might have used this on her hair out of contempt for her hair, I did not say they would have done it. What would I have gained by spreading falsehoods .

You have had a pleasant experience but there are many who have not. I know out of the many I have been to I have only had a good experience with 2 stylist, one they got rid of her because she did what the customer wanted and the manager did not like that and the other one moved on. I am also not saying I have had all pleasant experiences in black salons, however since the subject matter was a dominican salons I chose to share add that info.

Last edited:

Triniwegian

Thank GOD you decided to leave. I got the exact same treatment @ Elegante Salon in Norfolk, VA (yes, I will let y'all know) minus the comb. They argued about who were to do my hair, charged me double, nearly ripped the hair out of my scull while roller setting, sat me under dryer for 2 hours, gave me a 1000 degree blowout and several touch-ups with a flatiron...to make a long story short; I ended up losing 5" of hair, all because I was scared to open my mouth and speak up.

This is a good cautionary tale for all ladies; if you ever feel like you can't communicate with your hairdresser and you two can't agree on what to do, how to do it and what to put in your hair, no matter where in the process you are, then LEAVE!

Yoshi3329

JMO, I don't think there are falsehoods in this thread. Two, at least they told you OP, and you left. You saved yourself a set back.

bludaydreamr

And so you should have. You averted disaster.

PSA: NATURALS...scratch that....LADIES, SCREEN ANY POTENTIAL STYLIST THOROUGHLY. As a natural myself I would NEVER, I repeat NEVER let just anyone do my hair. I'm the kinkiest 4 a/b and if a stylist does not SPECIALIZE in working with my type of hair then you will not come near me. If you do not style my type of hair on a consistent basis you simply will not have the patience or the skills to care for my hair properly. That means I need to be comfortable and familiar with both you AND any assistant that may lay a hand on my head. And now that I have found 2 excellent stylists that eat naps for breakfast and can give me the blowout of my dreams I WILL NOT be deviating from them.

Oh, and there should be no "spur of the moment" random salon visits. If I don't plan ahead, then I'm just not getting my hair done.

You make a very good point that some of us DIYers sometimes forget. I experienced heat damage from a stylist who IMO over-estimated the amount of heat she needed. She used Heat protectant but not enough because my hair is so thick. Not only did she use a Marcel iron after I told her I only use ceramic irons (Fhi the same kind she had). but I think she used grease to press portions of my hair and that is where I experienced most of the damage. She was suppose to know how to do natural hair. I shouldn't have allowed her to do my hair, I just wanted someone else to do it for a change.

ETA: One of my favorite stylists was Brazilian and she took very good care of my hair before I went natural. When I transitioned I allowed her to do my hair and she never made me feel bad about my decision or would let anyone say anything negative in Spanish in either of the salons.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

this is not true , my stylist (is black & from belize) has gotten me in and out of the salon in an hour(wash,blowdry, flatiron and dust) and my hair is 3c....its all about technique. my stylist has thick 3a/b hair and if she goes to the dominicans they tell her she needs a relaxer too...they are lazy and greedy for money. i've heard from some folks that they put signs in the window that they don't natural hair in some places...then the turn around and take folks that are type 1- 3b...smdh!

lOl. It's not true in that you don't agree or that a stylist told me this and it's my experience??? I guess it depends upon the texture.

And after reading some more, I'm editing to address the generalizations. You know, it's not like colorism is foreign to American Blacks, it's sometimes WORSE! Ask a Latino or Haitian who immigrated here as a child and the crap they had to endure. Ask a southern dark Black what they endured living in the Northeast with all the high yellow folks. Ask somebody multicultural/racial anywhere USA what they endured...not fair to characterize Caribbeans as brutes, basically. All people have colorism issues, not just "blacks."

Anyhoo, it's as though people don't realize that a thicker head of hair IS more difficult and time-consuming to a stylist. If you're sitting in the chair getting it done, that relaxing waiting time is different than the hands-on actions of the stylist and the 15 or so people waiting for an appointment next. And I include long straight hair in that...time-consuming. I didn't say hours more, I am just saying that it takes more effort to get from a thick 4ish hair texture to a final result 1ish texture. Let's be frank.

Again, rather than down the Dominicans, AA's should be revamping their salons to get back that clientele and providing the type of service they desire in this naturals movement. That's the key...sour lemons...wasting time.

Last edited:

ladytee2

LunadeMiel I just want to know your technique for setting in 30 min. When I read you were going to teach your dh how to roller set I thought :perplexed Now I know I cant let her dh do me in. Im going to get this roller setting down if its the last thing I do. :lol: Help a sister out.

healthyhair2

This is ridiculous!!!I've been to White and Asian hairdressers who were willing to deal with my hair relaxed or natural. This is a problem with the industry. I really think that the best hairdressers deal with ALL textures of hair. Don't forget that there are not only Black folks with kinky hair :)

Tamrin

unapologetic
Luna pitit, Im glad you walked out. Be happy you did not allow these people in your head. Your money your hair. Just KIM and I know you put that money to better use than giving it as undeserving people.

Ou bliye sa maman nou di. " se pa tout moun pou kite manyin tet ou"

southerncitygirl

lOl. It's not true in that you don't agree or that a stylist told me this and it's my experience??? I guess it depends upon the texture.

And after reading some more, I'm editing to address the generalizations. You know, it's not like colorism is foreign to American Blacks, it's sometimes WORSE! Ask a Latino or Haitian who immigrated here as a child and the crap they had to endure. Ask a southern dark Black what they endured living in the Northeast with all the high yellow folks. Ask somebody multicultural/racial anywhere USA what they endured...not fair to characterize Caribbeans as brutes, basically. All people have colorism issues, not just "blacks."

Anyhoo, it's as though people don't realize that a thicker head of hair IS more difficult and time-consuming to a stylist. If you're sitting in the chair getting it done, that relaxing waiting time is different than the hands-on actions of the stylist and the 15 or so people waiting for an appointment next. And I include long straight hair in that...time-consuming. I didn't say hours more, I am just saying that it takes more effort to get from a thick 4ish hair texture to a final result 1ish texture. Let's be frank.

Again, rather than down the Dominicans, AA's should be revamping their salons to get back that clientele and providing the type of service they desire in this naturals movement. That's the key...sour lemons...wasting time.

i don't think its about downing dominicians.....i've seen many ladies who have had them do a lovely job on their hair, though they ruined mine and i transitioned to natural.
people of color have many issues they are in complete denial of.i think that in general when you go cheap you get shoddy service. high volume is not the move..imo because you have to work harder to make more money from a business standpoint...i believe one can work smarter not harder. my stylist charges $90 for a trim and flatiron but i don't spend much time in the salon, she is professional and is all about hair health and respecting its length. go as often as i would like but i know i'm always in good hands. i know all dominican salons are not the same but alot of the same patterns repeat the majority of the time....i hate that colonization and slavery has made the hair that the creator gave us so darn repulsive....especially to our own. I also hate that we as Americans have become a society so driven by consumerism that we want everything quick, fast or cheap and then wonder why it leads to poor health, shoddy service, or other negative stuff. when domincan or afr-am salons give people trouble about styling hair thats type 3c and above, which is typical afro-textured hair and very commonplace, which makes no sense to me. i agree that colorism is horrible but another component is white folks putting us against each other and believing that we are better than one another and we're all blackity black. this ish is so engrained in our psyche we forget that its there. i agree with you on the sour lemons comment but black folks will also continue to go to people when service is shoddy or they are mistreated...i know the op didn't do this but with blk folks being such large consumers we need to take a stand without acting a fool by boycotting and getting the word out when establishments mistreat us. i can see where you are coming from. black folks also need to stop having a "can i get a hook-up mentality" as well. :yep: i don't think this thread was intended to bash domincians as some folks think....i think there are similar patterns in all our stories of folks that have had horrible expieriences that put such a bad taste in our mouths we decided not to revisit. i know all folks within a group ethnic or racial are not the same.:yep the older i get i just get digusted with people of color who are so self hating no matter where they are from....

Newtogrow

You should really stick with the salon that you know and who knows you. Good thing you walked out cuz they probably would have jacked up your hair!!

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Thank GOD you decided to leave. I got the exact same treatment @ Elegante Salon in Norfolk, VA (yes, I will let y'all know) minus the comb. They argued about who were to do my hair, charged me double, nearly ripped the hair out of my scull while roller setting, sat me under dryer for 2 hours, gave me a 1000 degree blowout and several touch-ups with a flatiron...to make a long story short; I ended up losing 5" of hair, all because I was scared to open my mouth and speak up.

This is a good cautionary tale for all ladies; if you ever feel like you can't communicate with your hairdresser and you two can't agree on what to do, how to do it and what to put in your hair, no matter where in the process you are, then LEAVE!

Girl I live in Norfolk and I've heard about this place. I've heard good things about it, but from folks who had relaxed hair. I was gonna go here but thanks for the lookout. :yep:

Allandra

What a dirty rotten shame at both of those darn salons. I would have done the very same thing that you did. They definitely don't deserve your business.

Leesh

CaliDiamond, And whats funny is that a great majority of Dominican Women have just as thick hair as ours! Go figure that she acted like she never saw thick hair!

And it was very rude to blatantly showed her frustration toward you, that was extremely unprofessional, In beauty school you should be trained on "All" types of hair!:perplexed

Janet'

I am glad you left- you deserve to be treated better than that, we all do!!! It's funny though because for years I went to a Dominican Salon and they were instrumental in helping me through my transition process...And I am definitely 4a/3c...I think just like one cannot stereotype people, it's not smart to stereotype salons either...You definitely did the right thing though! Your hair is FIYE!!! Lol!

hola_lo2002

I know it sucks but I prefer people telling me that they can't do my hair rather than letting them do who knows what on my hair. As far as the fees, they tend to make us pay more because they know it's going to take them more time to do our hair when they're unexperienced. So in order to make it worth the try, they charge us more... I'm used to it now so I don't complain anymore... I just go where I'm welcomed instead of being mad at them for being so stupid