**I just walked out... my kind of hair my not welcomed... smh**

LittleLuxe

Thank you for posting pics of the storefront so I can be sure NEVER to go there and to talk it down to all of my friends.

That is some immature, unprofessional, stupid bullspit right there.

andromeda

Sorry this happened to you. I agree with the posts below and I also think that the salons could have handled your situation more cordially/professionally.

And so you should have. You averted disaster.

PSA: NATURALS...scratch that....LADIES, SCREEN ANY POTENTIAL STYLIST THOROUGHLY. As a natural myself I would NEVER, I repeat NEVER let just anyone do my hair. I'm the kinkiest 4 a/b and if a stylist does not SPECIALIZE in working with my type of hair then you will not come near me. If you do not style my type of hair on a consistent basis you simply will not have the patience or the skills to care for my hair properly. That means I need to be comfortable and familiar with both you AND any assistant that may lay a hand on my head. And now that I have found 2 excellent stylists that eat naps for breakfast and can give me the blowout of my dreams I WILL NOT be deviating from them.

Oh, and there should be no "spur of the moment" random salon visits. If I don't plan ahead, then I'm just not getting my hair done.

Most Dominican Salons do not want to invest the time and the patience in combing hair that is not btwn a 1a-3a(much less roller setting it). Although they had hair like you because they work there the other stylist deal with roller setting it. You just walking in did not have a chance in hell with having that same luxury with a smile on their faces.

After watching a documentary on how curly hair is viewed in the domincan repbulic a while back it is always in the back of my head about how they view "kinky hair." They are taught to hate their hair and they are always considered to be more "black" than "latin". They dont like their own hair but tolerate it because of their less african features. They are taught to hate any hair that is not from a 1a -3a texture unfortunatley.

Like I mentioned before taking care and doing "our hair" is a process that takes time and patience. My DD has been natural since birth and I am now getting it right thanks to this site and others. I always tell har be careful where you have your hair done because many "stylist" do not take the time to do it and they will rip your hair right out of your hair, and many will cut it without thinking twice.

OP continue going where you went before, just set time to get there.

If a salon doesn't know how to handle your type of hair then you don't want to give them your money. Many stylists of color including some/many AA stylists these days are not trained or experienced with the full range of afro textures. So as someone with hair on the far end of the "natty" scale I prefer a stylist who's honest and says s/he doesn't know what to do with it than to take my money and trying to style it and failing.

Thanks. :yep:

MadisonK

Sorry this happened to you! There is no doubt that your hair is VERY pretty. I know how it feels when a stylist acts like your hair is beneath them or unattractive. I understand a stylist who doesn't feel comfortable with my hair type, but I don't understand contempt towards my hair. I have had several experiences like yours and I know the feeling of being treated like I am less than. It's a horrible feeling. And what's crazy...the stylist usually doesn't have hair that looks better than mine! It's like you want to say "Hey Lady, you have damaged, jacked up looking hair so why are you acting like your hair is better than mine?!!" GRRRRRRRR!!!!

All they have to say is..."excuse me...I am not experienced doing your hair type" (said nicely).

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
That's horrible how they treated you. It's wonderful that you got up and left, instead of sitting there, taking it, and then ranting about it here later. :lol:

But (and I hope this doesn't sound mean or rude, because that's not how I mean it) I'm not quite sure what you expected. Most hair salons just don't know how to deal with afro-textured hair. I don't think that's right, but it's how it is. And I think you kind of didn't think it through when you went to these places...like in the OP, you said that they did your hair when it was relaxed so they should be fine doing it now that you're natural. But everyone knows that logic like that does not hold an ounce of water. When most people go natural, they have to change everything about how they take care of their hair. Styling is different, combing is different, products are different...for some people, their natural hair and relaxed hair might as well have been on two completely different heads. So with that said, I don't understand how you would have the same expectations of a salon that previously only managed your hair in its relaxed state. If they only have the skills to deal with relaxed or loosely textured natural hair, then that's their skill set. And really...it's a blessing in disguise that they didn't try to hide the fact that they have no idea how to do your hair. It would have been far worse if they had fronted like they were natural hair experts and then proceeded to give you a major setback. You just have to find a salon that has the right skill set to do right by your kind of hair.
And as far as them jacking up the price, that's kind of understandable. Straightening afro-textured natural hair generally takes more time, product, energy, and patience than straightening relaxed hair. So it makes sense that they would want you to pay more, because they are doing more to get you the same result as a relaxed head, for whom they'd have to generally do less. That's just good money sense.

But none of that excuses how they treated you. There's a right way and wrong way to convey things, and they definitely did it the wrong way. LOL @ you putting them on blast though.

Sasha299

Thanks for calling them out - I'm going to put the word out to my girls in Bridgeport too.

Bravo for you walking out - some times we are so intimidated or desperate that we sit and bear the discomfort and inevitable set back. We need to band together and let our money do the talking.

kblc06

Oh Luna, I'm so sorry dear :(. I've sort of had his happened to me when I ask an Ulta hair stylists how much they charge for a trim and she gave me the --> :perplexed face. And my hair was straight at the time, perhaps she didn't think it was mine :ohwell:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Reason #86 why I DON'T.DO.STYLISTS of any kind!!!!

I'm glad you didn't let them see you sweat, Luna ... and I think your hair is straight fiyah!!!

sqzbly1908

I am shocked!!! I have never been to a Dominican Salon but I thought they specialized in "our" type of hair whether it be relaxed or natural....I can understand the other poster's point when mentioning why their prices are so cheap and the amount of business they do. Even if they wanted to charge you more they could at least give you the common courtesy of telling you why or just saying that they could not handle your "type" of hair so you could "keep it moving"

I am so glad you didn't let those chicks touch your hair - they probably would have torn through it unnecessarily and caused you get "LIVE" with them up in there!!

LunadeMiel

That's horrible how they treated you. It's wonderful that you got up and left, instead of sitting there, taking it, and then ranting about it here later. :lol:

But (and I hope this doesn't sound mean or rude, because that's not how I mean it) I'm not quite sure what you expected. Most hair salons just don't know how to deal with afro-textured hair. I don't think that's right, but it's how it is. And I think you kind of didn't think it through when you went to these places...like in the OP, you said that they did your hair when it was relaxed so they should be fine doing it now that you're natural. But everyone knows that logic like that does not hold an ounce of water. When most people go natural, they have to change everything about how they take care of their hair. Styling is different, combing is different, products are different...for some people, their natural hair and relaxed hair might as well have been on two completely different heads. So with that said, I don't understand how you would have the same expectations of a salon that previously only managed your hair in its relaxed state. If they only have the skills to deal with relaxed or loosely textured natural hair, then that's their skill set. And really...it's a blessing in disguise that they didn't try to hide the fact that they have no idea how to do your hair. It would have been far worse if they had fronted like they were natural hair experts and then proceeded to give you a major setback. You just have to find a salon that has the right skill set to do right by your kind of hair.
And as far as them jacking up the price, that's kind of understandable. Straightening afro-textured natural hair generally takes more time, product, energy, and patience than straightening relaxed hair. So it makes sense that they would want you to pay more, because they are doing more to get you the same result as a relaxed head, for whom they'd have to generally do less. That's just good money sense.

But none of that excuses how they treated you. There's a right way and wrong way to convey things, and they definitely did it the wrong way. LOL @ you putting them on blast though.

Not mean at all. I would have expected this reaction if I had gone into maybe a white salon. But some of these women have a similar hair texture to mine. I think some people seem to think taking care of natural hair is soooo difficult. Granted, they may not know good techniques for doing natural hair. As far as my hair is concerned, it takes more time and products because it is long. When my hair was shorter I used very little products to style it. My usual stylist (who is Dominican by the way) can rollerset my hair in under 15 mins. I can rollerset it myself in about 30 mins. If you click my blog you can see the result of my hair in a rollerset.
The pics below were taken at the salon that I usually go to.

WhipEffectz1

I went to a couple in Atlanta that was talking about me. lol I understand spanish so I let her finish telling the other Dominican that she should "ask her for perm. nappy hair will take time." After I finished, I told her "hablo espanol mami. estudie espanol in Mexico y comprendo muy bien!" She almost shidded on herself. Its been a while since I studied abroad but like a baby, I can understand then even when they talk fast. lol After she raised me up from the conditioner and put me under the dryer, my hair looked fire upon leaving. After that, I never went back. Can't continue to give my money to people who don't otherwise care about me.....I can see behind my back but not in the front. Which is why when I hear people bragging about the Dominican salons, I pat my behind at them. :lachen:

I started going to a black owned salon in Atlanta. Might as well give it to them. Don't get me wrong, there was a "few" cordial stylists but they did the same thing every time I went in with other people. No thanks.

Crystalicequeen123

I hope this comes out the right way but if the hair is not relaxed or not naturally 2-ish/3a-ish, they will charge you double because of the extra effort to produce the same results. They are there to make money. Granted, they shouldn't ever mistreat anyone but I can see their point because of the time, product, extra technique etc. What they should definitely do at Dominican salons and others...for that matter....is put it in writing. If your hair is naturally very curly and doesn't straighten easily, then the charges are extra. Think of a BKT treatment for shoulder-length hair and one for WL hair. The excess product used is going to cost you.

Sorry this happened to you. If anything, this is the opportunity Black American stylists need to hop on - the natural market and blow-outs. Rather than curse the Latinos for their success, take it back and provide this service to women with natural 3-4 textured hair with no attitude, no questions, only great service. Shoot, I wish I owned such a salon.

Edit: they actually do "hundreds" per day and at 15-20 bucks, they have got to do more volume to make the money. That means time-limits. It's business, not laziness.

Can I get an AMEN?? :amen: Why haven't black-owned salons JUMPED on this natural bandwagon?? Shoot, if more black salons jumped on the natural bandwagon and encouraged black women to go natural (or even be a heat-trained natural) instead of only encouraging relaxers, weaves, etc., MAYBE (just maybe!) more black women would have healthier, longer hair, and the hair "stereotypes" would go away! This is an opportunity for the black salons to make money and to learn about our natural hair texture instead of trying to fight it like we have been for years. Shoot....don't get me started! :wallbash:

ETA: This is not a rant against women who like and prefer to get relaxers. I still have partially relaxed hair myself, so I've had it for years so I'm not trying to say that you should or shouldn't relax. All I know is that after almost 20 years of getting my hair relaxed, my hair seems to rebelling. My hair can't take it anymore I guess. :nono: So, transitioning was just a personal decision I decided to make for myself. Carry on! :)

Last edited:

davisbr88

Oh, and there should be no "spur of the moment" random salon visits. If I don't plan ahead, then I'm just not getting my hair done.

I definitely agree with everything you're saying but this is just a damn shame. Plenty of women of other "ethnicities" are able to walk in wherever they want and get serviced. Why is it that kinky-curly hair is the only hair type that people don't feel the need to learn enough about to be able to take any walk-in clients, regardless of hair type? It just pisses me off, because we are the main ones fueling the beauty industry, and people don't even have the decency to learn how to deal with and care for our hair. Grrrrrr!

mEmYSELFaNDj

Thats horrible! sorry you had to go through this. Well guess you wont ever do that again.lol you will probably always be the best stylist for your own hair anyways.

Guitarhero

Can I get an AMEN?? :amen: Why haven't black-owned salons JUMPED on this natural bandwagon?? Shoot, if more black salons jumped on the natural bandwagon and encouraged black women to go natural (or even be a heat-trained natural) instead of only encouraging relaxers, weaves, etc., MAYBE (just maybe!) more black women would have healthier, longer hair, and the hair "stereotypes" would go away! This is an opportunity for the black salons to make money and to learn about our natural hair texture instead of trying to fight it like we have been for years. Shoot....don't get me started! :wallbash:

Tell me about it. And they can definitely come up with a better service aside from 9,000 degree dryers. I know of a lady who does this and she did a video for Milstan irons. The hair wasn't greasy etc. It was blown dry and then she used the blue steel feather iron. Girl....the hair was shinier than a Dominicana blow-out. No silicones necessary because you're not burning the bedevel out of the hair. There are ways to do it catering to those with thicker, kinkier hair without causing damage. It is easier when the hair is relaxed because it's a business price point. But if the customer doesn't want to relax, then they shouldn't have to.

I think the hair could be Milstan'd after conditioning with Kita Ondas. I'm wondering what the results would be.

kblc06

I don't find the bolded to be true AT ALL. A rollerset on my natural hair takes about the same amount of time as it did for my relaxed hair. I don't know where people get the misconception that natural hair is so much more difficult to style, rollersetting aside, than relaxed hair. And considering that I have a very similar hair type to Luna's, I'm assuming there isn't much styling difference.

Dominican09

Most Dominican Salons do not want to invest the time and the patience in combing hair that is not btwn a 1a-3a(much less roller setting it). Although they had hair like you because they work there the other stylist deal with roller setting it. You just walking in did not have a chance in hell with having that same luxury with a smile on their faces.

After watching a documentary on how curly hair is viewed in the domincan repbulic a while back it is always in the back of my head about how they view "kinky hair." They are taught to hate their hair and they are always considered to be more "black" than "latin". They dont like their own hair but tolerate it because of their less african features. They are taught to hate any hair that is not from a 1a -3a texture unfortunatley.
Like I mentioned before taking care and doing "our hair" is a process that takes time and patience. My DD has been natural since birth and I am now getting it right thanks to this site and others. I always tell har be careful where you have your hair done because many "stylist" do not take the time to do it and they will rip your hair right out of your hair, and many will cut it without thinking twice.

OP continue going where you went before, just set time to get there. Be glad you did not stay at those salons because they would have probably shampooed your hair with dishwashing detergant. Yes they do this, it has happened to me this is one the reasons I stopped going and if I did go it was armed with my own products.

WHAT??? :lachen: :lachen: where is this documentary? I really need to see this...I can only see the Dominican mothers telling their daughters PERM! PERM! PERM! PERM! :mob: :mob: on some Hitler stuff :lol:

As for the OP...I experienced it as well, only that the owners are my friends and they convinced me to give it a try by using just the blowdryer...I went, all this time I'm thinking she was going to do it but she told me one of the worker would do my hair...then I saw that she had this petrified look on her face then I let it know that I was not taking any bs.
fast forward the washing...she started to attempted to blowout my curls, just straight up :lol: and I know that was just going to break my hair and on top of that she didn't put any heat protectant...I checked her for that and she was dragging her feet, acting like she didn't want to do it. So, I went to my friend and told her to forget it. Then, I told her that afro hair should not be left with out extending it because it would just tangle and that she needs to use heat protectant. She told me that she has many natural clients, thats the way she do their natural hair and that she never had a problem with it. :blah: :blah: Needless to say, it was my first and last time.

When I was relaxed, the salon I used to go to were my friends as well and I used to spent the entire day there, by choice...I would always hear them complain about their backs hurting them and their hands from blow drying all day...until one day, I told them that this is their job and they have to deal with it...and make that money. I know you said that is not that difficult to rollerset your hair but that is not the case with everyone! And by just looking at your hair, they automatically assume that is hard to handle.
You said that they have the same hair type as you. Were they relaxed? assuming that they are relaxed starting at a young age, most likely they don't know how to take care of kinky natural hair. I didn't know how to take care of my relaxed hair and I learned how to take care of my natural hair on this site.
The point is if you are uncomfortable, no matter where you go, tell them what they did wrong (so that they would not do it to somebody else) and leave. Anyways, I'm glad you got up and left. Me pre-LHCF would've sat there and took but now can't tell me nuttin'!!

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
I'm so glad you walked out. Imagine the months it would have taken to reverse the damage they might have caused. It's a shame to hear of such ignorance but I'm thankful that you've shared your story. It's a warning for us all to be careful freely handing our money to people who don't respect or want our business.

Nayna

Unbothered

Speaking from experience a lot of natural salons really feel that that type of heat is damaging to hair (Unless you want to be heat straightened). I was speaking to my boss the other day about the possibility of straightening natural hair but applying more heat safe techniques. The only reason I brought it up was because a few clients were complaining about heat damage from other salons. She's been in this business longer than I've been alive (I'm in my mid-late 20's), and she's seen so much with heat (and chemicals) that she's not confident that there are enough techniques that are safe for it. That was what also motivated her to open a natural salon. She advocates low to no heat for naturals. Blowouts with comb attachments are the straightest we go, or rollersets but no flatirons or any other tools like it.

I honestly feel with a lot of regular black salons it's about time and the end result. I used to go to a black salon before I knew too much about natural hair and the stylist started to heat train my hair without even telling me what it meant. I had straight hairs at the ends of my hair and I couldn't understand it. Dominicans were no better. Touching my hair like it was poop. It's frustrating and I think more of us need to be the change we all talk so much about. Slowly but surely I push our techniques onto my clients and my boss, lol. It's coming along.

candid1

wow ..thats just horrible...i went into a salon once and the lady had the nearve to tell me that she couldnt flat iron my hair because it wouldnt get straight anyway ...and i was relaxed...i wont even waste my money on those kinds of people...

ckisland

I have never been to a Dominican salon, and everytime I imagine walking my 4a/b head into one, I imagine :gotroasted: :nono:.

What I find crazy is that I went to a Mexican/ Native salon across from campus (spur of the moment), and an older Mexican stylist, who said that she doesn't usually work with "baby curls" (yes that's what she called them :grin:), did an awesome rollerset (no blowdrying and only a light flatironing of my roots) and charged me $20. And a Dominican salon has a problem doing the same :spinning:.

FroFab

So sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad you walked away from the whole situation. FWIW, I think your hair is lovely with the care you've given it, so forget the stylists that won't ever get a chance to experience a healthy head a real hair.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Dominican09: I am trying to find the documentary, I heard about it on Nappturality and it was quite some time ago when I saw it. It was quite shocking to say the least. When I find it I will put it up.

When I commented about being taught to not like their hair that I dont recall in the doc. this is just what I have heard living in NYC and seeing various YT videos.