I just had to testify! (Tea Rinsing)

Irresistible

if I brew the tea and put it in a bottle and just spray my head till its drenched and put on a cap for about and hour and rinse with cool water will that work???? also is red tea good
Thats a good Idea, I really liked the sensation of warm tea pouring through my head, but the spray bottle would work just the same I am sure, your choice if you want to rinse with cool water, i know it seals the cuticle (cool water) so it would probably make your hair feel smooth:yep:

I dont know anything about red tea, but as long as it has caffeine it really should do the same as far as shedding

just be careful with amounts, because this caffeine can still get into your system through the rinsing

I've been going through this thread and this sounds like something I may want to try.

Now obviously no one said sweet tea is good for this... But a glass sure sounds good right now!!...

:beer:
:lachen:

I had to drink some tea after putting it on my hair:grin:

Irresistible

Can tea rinses darken your hair?

yes , over time, and give some redish highlights , not major but more like a redish shine/ tone in the sun or light

Thats what I read somewhere.....

I was going to go with coffee from the coffee thread at first for the darkness but read up more on tea/plus I had it here already so I just went with that

shmmr

Irres- can you report back in a few days or the next time you wash and let us know if it works over the long term too? Were you planning on doing the tea rinse regularly (sounds like you were, but asking anyway)?

I'm VERY intrigued by this...

Irresistible

Irres- can you report back in a few days or the next time you wash and let us know if it works over the long term too? Were you planning on doing the tea rinse regularly (sounds like you were, but asking anyway)?

I'm VERY intrigued by this...

yeah I'm am concerned about long term too, I am thinking really there is no way this could continue to work without continued use period, I guess the main question I have is if the caffeine blocks DHT, could you then later lose all the hair you were going to lose anyway once its not blocked?:wallbash: or could you have some imbalance with it later just by messing with it in the first place (kinda scarey)

or say you dont do it often enough , DHT build up again? I am kind of confused on some things, and was also concerned about any heavy use of caffeine that can absorb into your system, which is why I dont plan to do this any more often than once a week if not less, and only in reasonable amounts :yep:

Do we get to keep the hair later that we didnt shed by doing this? Is my main question, or one wrong move (ie letting the DHT build up again) and we lose it all anyway?

I will certainly keep reporting in :yep:

I also have to see if this is worth it, unless I want to keep doing tea rinses forever, or start losing all that hair that was retained?

questions , questions:spinning::spinning:

all I can say for sure right now is it DEFINITELY decreased shedding by an astounding amount:yep:

Last edited:

Starr1

I've been doing regular tea rinses as part of my routine for well over 2 years now (make my own- nettle, chamomile, hibiscus, and sage). . . but when I get lazy, I have been known to use a regular green tea bag. It has great conditioning properties.

Irresistible

I've been doing regular tea rinses as part of my routine for well over 2 years now (make my own- nettle, chamomile, hibiscus, and sage). . . but when I get lazy, I have been known to use a regular green tea bag. It has great conditioning properties.

do any of those have caffeine?

I think some green tea does and some doesnt right?

Channie

Wow, I knew green tea worked for a dry scalp. I had humongous flakes my entire life no matter how often I moisturized. Two tea rinses and and I've never seen another flake again. Now I have to revisit this because I'm shedding a little more than I'd like to see. Thanks Iris!

Starr1

My own blend doesn't have caffeine, but the green tea I use does. For me caffeine is the least important component, because shedding isn't a major concern of mine.

Nettle promotes growth
Sage promotes shine, growth, and strength
Hibiscus promotes conditioning
Chamomile promotes shine and conditions

Irresistible

Wow, I knew green tea worked for a dry scalp. I had humongous flakes my entire life no matter how often I moisturized. Two tea rinses and and I've never seen another flake again. Now I have to revisit this because I'm shedding a little more than I'd like to see. Thanks Iris!

Wow thats really good info to know for anyone that might need it:yep:

Irresistible

My own blend doesn't have caffeine, but the green tea I use does. For me caffeine is the least important component, because shedding isn't a major concern of mine.

Nettle promotes growth
Sage promotes shine, growth, and strength
Hibiscus promotes conditioning
Chamomile promotes shine and conditions

girl I need to look into all these teas then :yep:

I was just wondering since so far your the only long term tea rinser, if any of them had caffeine, so that I could answer some of these questions I have

but you use the green tea only occasionally

but then maybe all this goes hand and hand and all your doing is making the shedding a non issue for you.........

I dunno, but I love ur hair:yep:

Starr1

girl I need to look into all these teas then :yep:

I was just wondering since so far your the only long term tea rinser, if any of them had caffeine, so that I could answer some of these questions I have

but you use the green tea only occasionally

but then maybe all this goes hand and hand and all your doing is making the shedding a non issue for you.........

I dunno, but I love ur hair:yep:

I love your hair too, Iris!:yep:

My hair used to shed quite a bit, but you're right, my decreased shedding is a result of my routine.

The easiest way to experiment is to just buy a box of each type of tea and brew them together- anything your hair doesn't like, you can drink. I think I would use green tea more often, but I love it too much to let it go to waste on my hair.:grin:

Since I buy all my ingredients in bulk I just measure out my teas into a coffee filter, tie with a rubber band and brew in a pot of hot water. I like to be difficult like that.:rolleyes:

Irresistible

I love your hair too, Iris!:yep:

My hair used to shed quite a bit, but you're right, my decreased shedding is a result of my routine.

The easiest way to experiment is to just buy a box of each type of tea and brew them together- anything your hair doesn't like, you can drink. I think I would use green tea more often, but I love it too much to let it go to waste on my hair.:grin:

Since I buy all my ingredients in bulk I just measure out my teas into a coffee filter, tie with a rubber band and brew in a pot of hot water. I like to be difficult like that.:rolleyes:

:lachen::lachen: ur too funny!

Thank you girl....

I'm really thinking about what you said about shedding because its been an issue for me for so long, I lose way too much hair and thought it was just normal:ohwell:

cmw45

This is so timely. My hair has been shedding like crazy. I was just thinking about switching to a garlic routine. I will definitely be trying this out with the next wash.

Starr1

[/b]
:lachen::lachen: ur too funny!

Thank you girl....

I'm really thinking about what you said about shedding because its been an issue for me for so long, I lose way too much hair and thought it was just normal:ohwell:

It's crazy, isn't it? For years I used to have all this hair all over my shower and bathroom floor and I went around thinking it was completely okay. Sure I was annoyed, because I hate sweeping and cleaning out my drains (and my husband, then boyfriend, whining about me having hair all over the place), but I didn't know that it didn't have to be like that. Then I changed my routine and thought, "hey I haven't shed nearly as much hair as before". . . my routine evolved again and now I don't think about at all because now I only sweep my bathroom floors once a week.:drunk:

My hair thanks me, but my husband and broom thank me even more.:lachen:

RosesBlack

I am going to try this over the weekend when I wash. I have a ton of low quality tea I'm not going to drink. This is an excellent use for it.

Angelicus

Thank you for this information. I HATE black tea and coffee (caffeine makes me break out) so now if I find a ton of it that my mom doesn't use, I am going to use it on my hair.

victomae

I am going to try this. Earlier someone mentioned using old teabags that they were not planning to drink, so I searched "tea rinses" to see if I could find what other types of tea might be beneficial to our hair. I came across this:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]ACV vs tea rinses[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'm roughly 15 months into no'poo here. I've always used BS and ACV, gradually reducing concentration and frequency over time. Around the 9 month and 12 month mark I used boxed dye on my hair and used the included conditioner (with nothing else) for my wash the night of the dying and 1 week later, then went back to my usual weekly ACV rinse with BS scrubs as needed (usually every 2-3 weeks). Other than that, no other product use. My routine has been fairly consistent for the last 6-7 months.

About a month ago my hair seemed to be a bit waxier and heavier around the crown than usual. Not visibly noticeable, but I could feel it when I ran my fingers through my hair close to the scalp, and they would more or less get stuck. I tried doing a BS wash even though I had done one only about a week ago, but it didn't help as much as I'd hoped. I started doing more water-only massages which kept the waxiness from getting out of control, but I couldn't seem to completely get rid of the waxiness. I'm still not sure what caused the waxiness, as I didn't change anything about my routine when the problem developed.

Last week I decided to try doing a green tea rinse instead of an ACV rinse since some people have reported "greasiness"-esque issues with ACV. Sure enough, my hair dried wonderful! The waxiness at the crown went away, and I could run my fingers through my hair again and they could slip through easily. I was hesitant to report success here until I used it again, in case I had merely washed away one product's buildup only to start forming a new sort of buildup.

I did another tea rinse two nights ago, this time I used both a green tea bag and a herbal tea mix bag (the herbal more for the scent). My hair was still lovely and soft and light. My hair is doing wonderfully again and I'm pretty sold on using tea rinses instead of ACV from now on. I also have slightly wavy hair and tea seems to weigh the waves down ever so slightly less. I didn't gain any curls, but brushing my hair several times in one day no longer seems to brush the waves out.

Though I'm not sure why ACV stopped working for me, I'd recommend tea rinses to other ACV users in a similar position...if a problem develops with waxiness out of nowhere, try substituting tea for ACV and see if that solves things! Plus, maybe now I'll stop getting the, "But doesn't your hair stink of vinegar??" question when I tell people about my routine.

AtlantaJJ

I love this solution because it's also very cost friendly, it's not an expensive habit that I have to worry about breaking later.... it seems some of the best things are so inexpensive.

Sweetheart

Hey! I could not rinse and put tea in my hair because I had it blown out thursday. I did make some jasmine green tea and use the teabag on my face after using my cleanser. My face was extremely soft!! Can not wait to use tea on my hair! Thanks.

unique4lyfe33

Ive read the whole thread and the coffee thread. I want to try this because I dont like taking garlic pills. I was thinking of trying peppermint tea because I know peppermint stimulates the scalp and also because i love drinking it:grin: I wonder if it will do the same because its not a dark tea:ohwell:.

Irresistible

Ive read the whole thread and the coffee thread. I want to try this because I dont like taking garlic pills. I was thinking of trying peppermint tea because I know peppermint stimulates the scalp and also because i love drinking it:grin: I wonder if it will do the same because its not a dark tea:ohwell:.

the peppermint would feel wonderful though I am sure

maybe you can do both or blend them , because if the peppermint doesnt have caffeine , it might not help with shedding like the ones with caffeine