Are there any 4a/bs growing their hair without weaves or braids?

bajanplums1

I know that braiding is an excellent way to grow hair as are weaves sewed in. However, I cannot do either. Is there anyone who is successfully gaining growth without braids or weave? If so, what are the keys for you?

jadestar

Bajanplums1,

I grew my hair from a natural of about 2 to 3 inches to about bra strap length. I admit, it did take a couple years, but what worked for me was wrapping my hair and letting it airdry overnight when it was shorter. As it got longer, I started to roller set, but other than right after a wash (which was once a week or once every other week), I used no heat. Oh, and I grew it out wiht a relaxer. I've used Motions for years now.

Last edited:

GodMadeMePretty

I know you're going to get tired of hearing this, but the key ingredient with braids and weave is that you leave your own hair alone for the entire time your hair is in the braids and weaved.

My hair has always retained its length as long as I've manipulated it very little. I have never had any other hair besides my own. I kept it up off my shoulders. Combed only when I washed it - other times, I finger-combed. VERY little manipulation. The less you do to your hair, the better.

As far as my hair type, I have everything in my hair from tight waves in areas, coils in areas, loose waves in areas - you get the picture. Whatever type your hair is, the length will be maintained if you manipulate it as little as possible and make sure you condition it.

SouthernGirl

Hey Bajanplums :wave:

I have never had a weave or braids, but here are a few that have helped my hair grow:

-Protective Styles
-Hi-protein Diet
-Surge
-WGO
-Vitamins (HF37)

I don't exercise or drink water but I believe if I did, my hair would be longer/healthier. I also agree with Godmademepretty that hair should just be left alone as much as possible. Whenever I shed hair, I think of how much thicker it could be if I just didn't comb it.

SG

divine

SouthernGirl said:
Hey Bajanplums :wave:

I have never had a weave or braids, but here are a few that have helped my hair grow:

-Protective Styles
-Hi-protein Diet
-Surge
-WGO
-Vitamins (HF37)

I don't exercise or drink water but I believe if I did, my hair would be longer/healthier. I also agree with Godmademepretty that hair should just be left alone as much as possible. Whenever I shed hair, I think of how much thicker it could be if I just didn't comb it.

SG

I'll give you until next week to update us on your skin.

amy1234

Also having a regimen you can follow to keep your hair clean and conditioned on a weekly basis will set you ahead. These are the major things that have helped me and also rollersetting (plus I use heat too!).

Isis

I 've never had braids put in my hair and haven't even thought about weaves. I'm growing my hair out by:

• keeping my hair and ends well moisturized
  • using little manipulation
  • combing my hair only on wash day
  • washing my hair twice each week
  • wearing styles that require little manipulation such as braidouts and updos.
  • drinking lots of water daily
  • eating a healthy diet which includes iodine
  • exercising regularly
  • using no heat on my hair - this has made an immediate difference for me! :up:

eboniwoman

lil bunny
I am currently natural I I only use heat ONCE a month to see and add progess pictures to my fotki because I can never tell if my hair has grown while it is natural...I have to straighten it for me to be able to see some sort of a difference...but I need to get to the point were I am not using anyheat at all....

I agree completely with GodmademePretty... I keep my hair off my shoulders. I don't comb or brush it because I always wear protective styles (pin-ups, french twists). I prefer to keep my hair up all the time. Every once in a while I'll wear flat twists with my hair worn down and curly in the back, but that's very seldom. I believe that's why my hair retains length. To tell you the truth, I don't even really know my true length because I haven't worn it down straight in years.

sylver2

Hi, I'm 4a/b. I cut my hair Halle Berry Short and grew it out without weaves or braids. I've never worn a weave or even braids.
It was hell, but I just left it alone. I use to wash it ever 2 weeks when it was short. While it was growing, I washed, deep condition and rollerset. Wore satin scarf every night. Soon as it got to ears I started wrapping hair around head every night. Never hot curled.

Jaelin

I am going back to braids soon but I had growth the past year without any.
What I did:

- more protein in my diet (I tried adkins for a few months)
- protective styles (twists or braids)
- only manipulating once a week (right after washing)
- using only combs with big teeth
- air drying (I think I blow dried four times the entire year)
- keeping it moisturized
- always wearing a satin/silk cap when sleeping
- I also took a multivitamin for a few months

lovelymissyoli

Okay at the current moment I have cornrows to help aid in growth but from August to October I grew 2-3 inches by stretching out my relaxer, shampooing & deep conditioning my hair every week (normally on Thursday’s), keeping my hair moisturized, and wearing my hair in nothing but a rollerset style. I left this style in for 5 days or until my washday and then re-curled it again with perm rods. It took some time to do, however, it helped me gain a substantial amount of growth.

***If you look at my August picture compared to my October picture in my signature or album you can see that my hair grew thicker and longer by just leaving it alone and keeping it healthy! I would also like to add that I wasn’t using Surge at the time!***

lolacurl

i am a SERIOUS 4b texturized,and actually stretched my texturizer touch up to 20 weeks! No weave or braids. My hair is currently shoulder length and growing well, which it never has been! Here's what I did:

Lotsa PRAYER!!

Rollersets, from a wonderful stylist who supports my goal for ultimate growth, and who never pressured me to perm. She worked with my hair as it was and also supported my desire to stretch...This made a huge difference.

Lots of jojoba and coconut oil - coconut oil seriously reduced breakage!

Rosemary oil

Heat only when going to my stylist.

Aubrey organics shampoo and conditioner. Current Faves are:
Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
GPB
Island Spice Cream Rinse (Now called Island Naturals Replenishing
Conditioner)

Multi-vitamin

Kelp tablets

Cod liver oil or Fish oil

Sun Chlorella tablets

Occasional Protein Shakes

Protective Styles:
buns
phony ponies
French Twists

Minimal Handling (i.e. not lots of combing) Fingers are your hair's best friends between washes! When I did comb, I used a bone comb. I noticed less breakage. :)

Hope this helps! :D

ETA: I forgot - moisturizing via curl activators, moisture lotions etc. My 4b hair seems to like care free curl gold. I did lots of trial and error to determine what works moisture wise....

Last edited:

keylargo

I'm determined to grow my hair without braids (braided extensions) or weaves. This will be a first for me because most of my life, I've worn braids or weaves. I always had that to fall back on when I damaged my own hair. For me, it's important to learn how to care for my relaxed hair without braids or weaves. Once I feel I have that conquered, then I may do braids once and a while. Right now, I'm learning how to extend my relaxer beyond 8 weeks, properly moisturize my hair and to style it without using curling irons or flat irons. I've already learned a lot but I still have a long ways to go. I will do cornrows or twists for braid-outs. I may even wear my hair in two braids for the day. I will not however, be doing braids with extentions anytime soon.

Babygurl

Ive grown my hair with no weave or braids, for me it was the moisture factor and DEFINATELY protective styles.

pink_flower

No weaves or braids for me either. I've used braids in the past and it seemed like I lost more hair than gain..but that was also before the hair boards too. Anyways, things that help my hair along are less heat, moisture and protective styles (off and on).

calbear

no braids or weaves here and my keys were:

vitamins, protective styles, Surge, water, protein treatments, added moisture, better handling at all times especially during wash times, and stretching my relaxer.

tryn2growmyhair

This is a great thread. Question for all of you: How often do you wash your hair? I have found that I must wash my hair twice a week now that I am around 14 weeks post relaxer in order for my hair to feel moisturize.

Also, in repsonse to the question, it sounds like you are working on a regime that works for you and that's good. I would caution against stretching out relaxers too long. I am at 14 weeks and I fear that I am seeing some breakage even though I have tried to be very gentle with my hair. Luckily, I am not rollersetting it and only bunning it at this point as this has helped to minimize the breakage. However, after my next touchup, I will definately be going back to every 8 weeks. I would need to USE HEAT to ease the difference in the line of demarcation and for me, that nullifies the health benefits of stretching out relaxers. Hopefully this will help me to retain more length.

Tene

Co washes, moisture, vitamins, surge, protein treatments, stretching relaxers, etc.

PinkLily

So far what's been working for me are CO washes, surge, buns (elasta qp qlaze takes care of my 4b edges), rollersetting instead of flat ironing, and sleeping w/ a satin scarf

CatSuga

I am. So far my hair is growing at .5in a month.

-condtioner wash
-hot oil treatment
-daily mosturizer
-satin scarf

Faith

I gained the majority of my length from braids and interlocks but then they stopped working (to me anyways) so I started doing the baggie method and my hair is actually thcikening up and I have gained quite a bit since taking out the braids in August. Make sure you moisturize a lot, no heat, surge, protective styles and watch the trims :)

Last edited:

Carlie

sylver2 said:
Hi, I'm 4a/b. I cut my hair Halle Berry Short and grew it out without weaves or braids. I've never worn a weave or even braids.
It was hell, but I just left it alone. I use to wash it ever 2 weeks when it was short. While it was growing, I washed, deep condition and rollerset. Wore satin scarf every night. Soon as it got to ears I started wrapping hair around head every night. Never hot curled.

Hi Sylver! :wave:

I know you're not a wearer of protective styles so I was wondering:

While growing your hair, when it got to ear length, what was your daily style?

T I A :)

sylver2

Carlie said:
Hi Sylver! :wave:

I know you're not a wearer of protective styles so I was wondering:

While growing your hair, when it got to ear length, what was your daily style?

T I A :)

Hey,
Soon as it got to ear length, I started wrapping it around head with satin scarf. I wrapped with bobby pins then slipped off the pins when I had scarf on so they wouldn't leave any dents.
Then I just wore it straight and flat w/ center part every single day. Never curled or flat ironed. It grew like crazy. Got touchup every 7 weeks.

Carlie

I'm helping my mother to grow out a short hair cut and this info. is really helful! :) Thanks so much!!! :kiss:

pookeylou

No braids or weaves here:

I dont really "do" my hair either though...maybe once a week at the most.
I tie it up every night.
I use shealoe as a moisturizer
My shampoo bar is very moisturizing (coconut milk, shea butter, honey, rosemary oil for growth)
No heat.

Basically I leave it alone.