A question about braids, weaves, and retaining length

Hey Ladies,
I would like to get to know my hair a little better over the next year. In fact, since my senior year of high school I have never worn my hair out for more than four months because I constantly wear braids. Personally braids have never really helped me attained growth or anything, they are just convenient. So for the next 12 months I'll do protective styles like phony ponies, instant weaves, braid-outs, etc, but no braided extentions are sewn-ins. I want to know are there any of you who have not worn braided extentions are sewn-in weaves since beginning your hair journey? If so what other ways did u retain growth and protect your hair? I know many of the ladies have success with braids and weaves, but can the ladies who don't braid or weave give me some answers, Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mariaat40

There are lots of ladies here who've grown their hair without the use of braids, weaves, and extensions, including myself. I've used protective styles like buns, french twists, and other updos. Early on I wore a phony pony quite a bit. Now I just wear my own hair in a pony tail. That doesn't hide my ends but it does keep them from rubbing against my shirt. The keys are minimal heat, minimal manipulation of your hair (for example when I create a bun I don't comb my hair through to the ends), protective styles (not all ladies do these), finding the mix of protein and moisturizing conditioners that works for you, good nutrition, and treating your hair like silk.

blackhair

I had this same idea last september. i used to have my hair braided or weaved all the time. I would accumulate lots of growth but with broken ends and not proper moisture and relaxing too often with Super relaxer I never gained lenght until last september. I cut off all the damaged hair start a new challenge with healthy hair. No more braids or weaves (they were too expensive anyway). Since then I cannot beleive how healthy my hair is. it is also growing so fast. The texture of my hair has changed to better. All I am doing is the bun challenge with good products. I think you are doing the right choice. You will learn to know your hair better. You can always go back to braids now and then. But yes this choice is a winner for me.
Best

Isis

I have not used braids or extensions. What I've focused on was keeping my hair moisturized, washing and conditioning every 3 days, airdrying my hair (no heat at all), moisturizing my ends 2x daily, very little manipulation of my hair, protecting my hair with silk or satin scarves when sleeping, stretching my relaxers to every 13 weeks, drinking lots of water and having a healthy diet.