I GOT MY HANDS ON SOME 100% PURE BATANA (OJON) OIL!!!!

VinDieselsWifey

i'm deployed down here in Honduras for 6 months and i've been asking around about batana (ojon) oil cause the Miskito indians are from here. i found out they are way on the other side of Honduras in the jungle where there are no roads. the only way to get out there is to fly and then take a boat. :ohwell: so i guess i won't be meeting them in person.

but, i work with a lot of the local people and i've been asking them if they can get some for me. so a guy at work surprised me today with a jar of it! he saw a man selling some natural products so he asked him did he have batana oil and he had some. they sell it in gerber baby food jars. it was 150 Lempira which is about $8.

he said to see how i like it then he would get me some more. my hair is braided right now and i'm going to keep it braided the whole time i'm down here. even though i've never used it, i told him to see about getting me some really big jars so i can ship them home. even if i end up not liking it i know i can sell them on ebay or something.

it looks like a dark brown thick paste. it smells like coffee with a hint of tobacco or something. i am sooooooo happy i got the pure stuff!

forget Ojon with his $55 jar of stuff. i got the real deal for $8!! :dance7:

VinDieselsWifey

That ish looks crazy!:lol: I have to admit, I'm a little envious--I really like the Ojon treatment, so I would be curious to try the "real thing."

:giggle:

when i was in the grocery store i saw a brand called Helix'e that sold batana shampoo and batana treatment. i don't know Spanish too good, but i could tell that the shampoo had SLS in it :nono:. i bought the treatment though cause it was only about $3. but it doesn't give the full list of ingredients. it says "aceite de Batana y excipientes" which is something like batana oil & actives. what exactly is the "active" stuff? i wonder if it's mineral oil or something like that...

NIN4eva

I wants it! :)

I'm DC'ing with Ojon as we speak. I completed a survey I received from Ojon via email and today UPS dropped off a full sized set of Ultra Hydrating Conditioner and Shampoo. I'm going to use it tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Now, I did try Ojon shampoo and conditioner in the past and hated it. I can't recall whether it was the exact same formula but I'm not one to turn my nose up at a free $40+ set of hair products so here we go...

The restorative treatment has always been amazing; although I haven't used it in a while as I'm trying to stick to a budget.

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

Sorry but what is Batana Oil? More importantly what does it do??Lol!

What does that do for your hair?

Batana oil is the real name for the oil sold in Ojon products that are sold at Sephora and QVC. his products are very expensive since he's using this oil in them. his restorative treatment uses this as the main ingredient and a descent sized jar runs from like $30-$55. Ojon is actually the name of the tree that produces batana oil. the Miskito indians that make it are known as "Tawira" or "the people of beautiful hair"

i've read that this oil is believed to prevent baldness and greying and to encourage the growth of thick, shiny hair.

HTH

Black Ambrosia

it looks like a dark brown thick paste. it smells like coffee with a hint of tobacco or something.

Wow. That's awesome. That's exactly how I'd describe the ojon restorative treatment. Sounds like you got the real deal.

Batana oil is the real name for the oil sold in Ojon products that are sold at Sephora and QVC. his products are very expensive since he's using this oil in them. his restorative treatment uses this as the main ingredient and a descent sized jar runs from like $30-$55. Ojon is actually the name of the tree that produces batana oil. the Miskito indians that make it are known as "Tawira" or "the people of beautiful hair"

Good summary. I use the restorative hair treatment and the revitalizing mist. My stylist repeatedly tells me that I need to keep doing whatever I'm doing because my hair has never been healthier. Its pricey but its good stuff. FYI, it may take a while to see results with the restorative treatment but it definitely works. The revitalizing mist is a good detangler.

humblehair004

Congrats! I am Hondurian and I've been using Batana or Ojon Oil prior to its big notice at QVC and other retails. I must say a little goes a long way, and be sure to keep it in a dark area for a longer shelf life.

Tee

I wondered why I hadn't seen you as much. (or it could be because I am not on this side that often.) I hope you are enjoying it there. You better try soem of that out. Even if only on a small unbraided piece of hair.

shopgalore

i've read that this oil is believed to prevent baldness and greying and to encourage the growth of thick, shiny hair.

HTH

Thanks for the info!

VinDieselsWifey

I wondered why I hadn't seen you as much. (or it could be because I am not on this side that often.) I hope you are enjoying it there. You better try soem of that out. Even if only on a small unbraided piece of hair.

i'm mainly just a lurker now but every now & then i'll pop up :peek:

yes it's very nice down here. i plan to redo my cornrows every month so i can test it on a piece of hair the next time i take them down

BlaqBella

Vinswifey i want to say you in part inspired me to go back natural after 19+ yrs of relaxing. THANK YOU. I'm so glad i can tell you that (i'm no longer a lurker).Love YOUR hair & fotki.
Glad your natural again (hope your happy & healthy).
Thanks for the info & UPDATES please.

ETA: Just seen your updates and i smtimes feel like i want to relax again too but my hair is soo fragile/fine/thin idk..
but i have so much in the middle that is not so i'm kinda alright with it the way it is...easy to straighten

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

Vinswifey i want to say you in part inspired me to go back natural after 19+ yrs of relaxing. THANK YOU. I'm so glad i can tell you that (i'm no longer a lurker).Love YOUR hair & fotki.
Glad your natural again (hope your happy & healthy).
Thanks for the info & UPDATES please.

ETA: Just seen your updates and i smtimes feel like i want to relax again too but my hair is soo fragile/fine/thin idk..
but i have so much in the middle that is not so i'm kinda alright with it the way it is...easy to straighten

thanks so much! yeah i'm kinda on the fence right now. i keep going back & forth with the idea of going back to texlaxing. i really loved my texlaxed hair. but i love the thickness of my natural hair. i don't mind the detangling sessions, but i just feel like i can't style my natural hair. i try to do styles and they don't turn out right :perplexed i miss doing rollersets. i've read lots of BKT threads but i'm scared of that stuff :sad:

but lately i've been feeling like toughing it out for a while longer. i was natural for 7 years before i relaxed that last time. i've bought 3 new flat irons, the new maxiglide, the rusk str8 ceramic, the hana elite. i bought a hot air brush. i have some samples of sabino moisture block so hopefully i can perfect my straightening technique. i'm trying to exhaust all options before going back to chemicals. i've been thinking about just buying a nice LF for when i want straight styles and just keep my natural hair braided underneath.

i just know that i DO NOT want to start over again. so if i do decide to go back to chemicals then that's it! i guess i will be relaxing until i'm 80! LOL

i will be updating around august or September when i come back from this deployment. so i'm hiding my hair for 6 months. i hope to be BSL in the back by the end of this year. i'm hoping. i think i'm about somewhere between shoulder & armpit length right now.

good luck on your transition!

VinDieselsWifey

I want some of this! Please let us know if you are ever able to get your hands on enough to sell some to the rest of us!! I love my Tawaka conditioner!

i will keep you guys updated!

How much are you planning to sell them for?

Can I be put on the waiting list? How are you enjoying Honduras so far? The tropics do wonders on the hair.

i don't know. but it wouldn't be an outrageous price cause LHCF is like my family. i like it down here. the country is beautiful. i can't wait to go to Copan to see some Mayan ruins. i was hoping to meet some of the Miskito indians in person so i can get the hook up on the oil! LOL

Umm so you wanna be my BATANA oil Dealer?
Check my Ebay rating I pay fast :) I am good for it I swear

LOL. i really hope i can get a supplier down here so i can keep buying it when i go back to the states.

If you get anymore - girl you will have a booming business - on the forum!!!

if i can work out a deal with the folks down here, i will hook my LHCF sistas up!

JerriBlank

That's a heck of a hook up you got:yep:
Definitely beats paying $50+ dollars for the ojon product,when you can get the pure stuff for just about dirt cheap.I love ojon so i am definitely jealous! lol!
I hope you love it!