I finally did my touchup-with an old relaxer

C

Cami

I finally did my touchup after 14 weeks! Usually I wait 15-17 wks but since I've been taking vits, my hair grew really fast and I was in dyer need for a touchup. I think the perm was old because once I started to apply it, there were thick clumps that was hard to rinse out after I applied it. My hair still turned out very straight, and I used a dark brown rinse to cover my streaks. I will post new pics as soon as I get a chance to take them. I don't know about asking my man to take them now since he really pissed me off today!

Armyqt

Hey cami, glad your hair came out good. Can't wait to see the pics. What type and strength relaxer did you use? How long did you leave it on? TIA

C

Cami

The brand was At One with Nature with Mild strength. I left it on for about 35 mins total. I was so nervous with all those clumps, I hope it doesn't have a bad affect on my hair...

Peachtree

Hi Cami
I've viewed your pics...your hair is really beautiful. I agree with Armyqt...can't wait to see the updated ones! As for the relaxer... well, if your hair didn't come out during the rinse, then I believe your safe. My cousin applied an old relaxer to her 4b shoulder length hair...during her rinse, the hair literally fell out, in her hands .....so again, I think your safe!

Armyqt

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Cami said:
The brand was At One with Nature with Mild strength. I left it on for about 35 mins total. I was so nervous with all those clumps, I hope it doesn't have a bad affect on my hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Cami, I would have been real nervous leaving my relaxer on for that long. Since discovering these boards, I've been very mindful of how I use chemicals. But on the other side of that, I don't think I've been leaving my relaxers on long enough. I have been using mild and taking it at 15 to 18 min, but end up with underprocessed hair. This time I used regular and left it on for 20. Much better results this time. Next time I'm gonna leave it on for 25 to get rid of these waves

Oh BTW I agree with Peachtree...if you didn't see any hair coming out in the sink, you should be good to go. Make sure that you do some type of reconstructor or mild protein in your next wash to build back up the hair shaft. Thanks for sharing.

C

Cami

As soon as I did my touchup, I followed up with the Nexxus Keraphix reconstructor for 45 mins and used my Barry Flectcher Alchohol free wrap lotion with a few other things. Tomorow I'm going to do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment followed by Humectress moisturizing conditioner. I'm also going to trim about an inch off also. Did you trim your ends?

Armyqt

I didn't trim this time cause my stylist trimmed me 3 weeks ago. I know I NEED a trim, but I'm gonna wait until the next relaxer and try to even things up a bit.

It doesn't sound like you damaged the hair since you didn't get any fallout etc even with the lumps. But let me say I too can't wait to see your updated pics because I just looked and your hair is gorgeous... it really is. It looks very healthy and I LOVE the colour!

C

Cami

Thank you! I also put a dark brown rinse over top to cover the streaks up. My roots were about 3 inches of my natural color so it really looked a mess! I'm loving the dark brown, actually, it looks black and it really looks a lot healthier. I think I'm going to stick with this color until I get my streaks. The next time I put ANY color in my hair again is after I achieve my hair goal (which can take 1-2 years.) It's no rush, since I've been on this board I've been really inspired to have healthy hair as opposed to cute color treated hair. I think all those double-process can eventually stunt the growth even with the highest maintenance.

Armyqt

Hey Cami, which rinse did you use to cover up your color...(anxiously awaiting your photos too
)

C

Cami

I used Beautiful Collections in Darkest brown. You can purchase these at Sally's. I must say that after using it that my hair appears to be a lot thicker and looks more healthy (I think it's because my hair is dark and it covers the breakage.)