I did it! Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) *pic heavy*

me-T

A MILLION QUESTIONS:

it stays straight like that all the time? after i wash, just airdry it, and i got automatic "video girl" hair?

you say you have to use certain products, so does that mean no more qhemet?

how would i fit this in w/ gettin my relaxer every 3 months, cause if i'm payin 200-somethin a bottle, i want my roots steeeeraight!-not wavy

could i do this on relaxer day?(probably not, but, just askin)

could i just skip the relaxer, start dyeing my hair black(like i've always wanted) and get the same straightness to my roots?

does your hair feel like a hot mess after days of not using moisturizer?

what if you're protein sensitive?

do you still have to do protein treatments, or is this considered one?

kellylinn77

Hey Me-T,
Gonna answer your quetions to the best of my ability from my experience. I'm am not the subject matter expert and I don't want to mislead you. So I'm gonna post the link of the youtube video that actually comes with the product and the wedsite I ordered from. They have a customer service number and FAQ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouRt1x-29Q
http://www.bestkeratin.com/?gclid=CNy6t4PigpcCFRZjnAod9la5Xg

A MILLION QUESTIONS: It's ok!

it stays straight like that all the time? after i wash, just airdry it, and i got automatic "video girl" hair? Last weekend was my first time using it. I went out on Sat. nite and danced until I couldn't dance anymore. My hair is usually soaking wet after leaving the club. This time the majority of my hair was bone dry except for a couple of inches at the bottom that came in contact with my sweaty back (TMI) When I got home I wrapped it and put on a scarf and went to bed. I did not apply any heat at all. When I combed it down the next day, it looked just like my pic labeled "next day hair." After I washed it for the first time I let it airdry and no I did not have "video girl hair" I wish they did make something that magical. I've been cowashing and bunning since the first wash.

you say you have to use certain products, so does that mean no more qhemet? I've never used qhemet nor do I know the ingredients. On the youtube video they tell you specifically what to avoid. Most of my products are natural so I don't have a problem with what I use.

how would i fit this in w/ gettin my relaxer every 3 months, cause if i'm payin 200-somethin a bottle, i want my roots steeeeraight!-not wavy "They" say it's safe and even better to use if you are chemically treated. My roots are wavy and not straight. I used 2% instead of 4% and I'm sure that had somthing to do with it. I'm partially texlaxed.

could i do this on relaxer day?(probably not, but, just askin)
"They" say you can use this the same day as a chemical service.

could i just skip the relaxer, start dyeing my hair black(like i've always wanted) and get the same straightness to my roots? I skipped my relaxer the day of application to see how straight it would get. On the fence with transitioning. Although it didn't get bone straight (maybe because I used 2% instead of 4%) it was 10x more managable and I still had the wave I adore so much. I did color with Clairol's natural instincts midnight black right before the BKT.

does your hair feel like a hot mess after days of not using moisturizer? IDK, I moisterize everyday

what if you're protein sensitive?
IDK, never had a problem with protein

do you still have to do protein treatments, or is this considered one?
Depending on how my hair feels when it starts to wear off and I don't have enough time to do a treatment (need at least 4hrs for the process and 3 days to set) I will do a protein treatment to keep the strength. HTH:grin:

me-T

thanks for answering.
1. that next day hair is like 1st day hair if ya ask me! idk how to wrap though...
2.Qhemet's natural, so i'm good there. I know you're not supposed to use products w/ sodium chloride, nothing i use has it.
3."they" say huh....yeah...ok...lol
4.there "they" go again. i dont think ANYTHING is safe for relaxer day, especially formaldehyde and high heat.
5.you look like a looser texture than i am, so i might have to go 4%
6. i meant for the 2 days you cant use any product, how does your hair feel?
7.kinda seems like the bkt IS a protein treatment to me...ya know...KERATIN and all...maybe it might really be ok for relaxer day.

tuffCOOKiE

Question... I'm still on tthe fence about it (I have relaxed hair). How long did it take you to do?

Did you really put the flat iron up to 490? I was talking to chocolatesis (sp) and she told me she doesn't put her flat iron that high (she does up to 396). I'm thinking of putting it on 400.

I'm also thinking of trying this on my little sister first.... :look:

luckiestdestiny

Hey guys, I'm not trying to play devils advocate here, but I noticed that no one is posting the cons here. Even with a mask, some of the fumes will still get through. Here's an article and the link:

Here's the link http://wiredberries.com/beauty/2007/10/new_hairstraightening_formulad.asp
New Hair-Straightening Formula--Danger! Beware!
by Valerie Gladstone — October 26, 2007

Over the past year, a new hair-straightening product has been--excuse the pun--making waves across the country. Developed in Brazil, it promises glossy, sleek but voluminous hair, even for color- treated hair, in 2 to 3 months. Called in Portuguese escova progressiva--progressive blow dry--it has been available as Brazilian Keratin Treatment from M&M International and Brazilian Blowout by Argyle Salon & Spa in Los Angeles. Not since the Japanese thermal treatment 5 years ago has a hair-straightening product generated such buzz. Treatment costs in major salons across the country run between $150 and $600.

So what's wrong with it? Its major ingredient, and why it smells so bad, is formaldehyde, which is classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency on research for Cancer, part of the World Health Organization. In short, it can cause cancer. The solution contains 10 times more than the .2 % that is determined to be safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel, a group of scientists and doctors who assess and set recommended safety standards for cosmetics ingredients.

Though formaldehyde can be found in household cleaners, synthetic fabrics, carpets, plywood, tobacco smoke, and smog, it is in quantities believed to be harmless. And while skin contact can cause hives and other minor irritations, inhaling the chemical is the real danger.

Once the Brazilian straightening solution is painted on dry hair, the stylist flatirons the hair, releasing vapors into the air. With repeated inhalation at higher levels, it is associated with nasal and brain cancer, and possibly leukemia, according to the National Cancer Institute.

Using a low concentration of formaldehyde won't work as a straightener; it then becomes ineffective. You would think with word of the dangers spreading through the hair business that people would have stopped using it. But salons are offering the treatment, on the sly, like an illegal drug. A black market for it is developing. What women won't sometimes do for their appearance! Unfortunately, no group approves beauty products before they come to market. But still, we should be smart enough to figure out some things ourselves, right?

luckiestdestiny

And before you say...it's just little exposure if any, here's another one that argues everytime you wash your hair, you'll be exposing yourself to those same chemicals by reactivating them:
http://hubpages.com/hub/straightbs
Brazilian Hair Straightening: Is the Controversy Just B.S.?90
rate or flag this pageBy Sangay Glass

Watch: The ‘I Am Not My Hair’ Video At The bottom Of This Page

Brazilian straightening is a hot new process to tame curly locks that might be flat out dangerous.
While many salons claim that their procedures are safe, the skinny on Brazilian straightening is that all the products contain formaldehyde.

With so much controversy surrounding this very effective, but possibly unsafe straightening method, salon owners are now sweeping the dust under the carpet and calling the tiger a kitten.

Names like, BKT, or Brazilian Keratin Treatments are becomming more common than the original hazardous namesake, and some salons claim to use to smallest percentage needed.

But... where safety is concerned...it's best to be an informed consumer.

First it's important to understand that small amounts of formaldehyde are present all around us, it occurs naturally and is found in many manmade products.

The questions arose because the formaldehyde used in manufactured products breaks down slowly under normal circumstances, and is not rapidly released into the enviorment.

However, heat and moderate humidity levels hastens the breakdown and release of the chemical.

Since formaldehyde can bond and stick around awhile, meaning it would be hard to wash out in a few shampoos, there are concerns that the chemical could accumulate on the hair over time and would be re-released with each wash and dry.

So, long term use of the straightening method would also mean long term exposure, and accumulation on the hair.

What Are The Effects Of Formaldehyde?

1) Some people are naturally highly sensitive to formaldehyde, others may not be as sensitive but over time develop an allergy to it. It's in the chemical's make up to stir the immune system and cause sensitivity.

2) Runny nose, sore throat, headache, itching, and irritated eyes can occur with low levels of exposure.

3) It is also a known carcinogen, and smokers in particular are at a greater risk for cancers of the airways, including nasal passages when they are exposed to formaldehyde.

Super Skinny Amazing Results
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, 5.1oz
Price: $13.73

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum 0.85 oz ( Travel Size )
Price: $5.95

Paul Mitchell Super-Skinny Smoothing Serum Pump 5.1 Ounces
Price: $18.59

PAUL MITCHELL SUPER SKINNY SHAMPOO & TREATMENT LITERS
Price: $29.90

How Can We Protect Ourselves?

Pregnant women, people with compromised lung functioning whether from bronchitis or smoking, and formaldehyde sensitive people must make a great effort to avoid exposure.

Ask if Formaldehyde or the Brazilian Straightening System is being used in your salon. There are salons that refuse to use the system because if the risk to their clients.

People working with chemicals are just as at risk as the clients they serve. Wearing gloves, and installing a proper ventilation system could help, but remember you are still exposing yourself continuously thereby increasing your chances of harm.

If you experience the symptoms associated with low level exposure, get outside, if product is in the hair ask the stylist to ventilate the room, and rinsed it out ASAP once you feel better.

If you suddenly experience shortness of breath, accompanied by hives, or burning sensations around your head, ask for help, call 911, and get to a ventilated area.

If after a few days with the treatment you or family members start feeling under the weather with respiratory symptoms and fatigue, consult your doctor, and tell him/her about your exposure to formaldehyde

kellylinn77

Good morning Ladies!
thanks for answering.
1. that next day hair is like 1st day hair if ya ask me! idk how to wrap though...It's easy you just have to practice. My hair was dry so it was even easier
2.Qhemet's natural, so i'm good there. I know you're not supposed to use products w/ sodium chloride, nothing i use has it.
3."they" say huh....yeah...ok...lol LOL you see I said "they" right!
4.there "they" go again. i dont think ANYTHING is safe for relaxer day, especially formaldehyde and high heat.It's supposed to coat and protect your hair. I didn't relax, just colored
5.you look like a looser texture than i am, so i might have to go 4% I'm a couple inches texlaxed the rest is bone straight
6. i meant for the 2 days you cant use any product, how does your hair feel? It was very silky. Didn't feel like I needed any product at all
7.kinda seems like the bkt IS a protein treatment to me...ya know...KERATIN and all...maybe it might really be ok for relaxer day.

Question... I'm still on tthe fence about it (I have relaxed hair). How long did it take you to do?
It took about 4hrs from start to finish

Did you really put the flat iron up to 490? I was talking to chocolatesis (sp) and she told me she doesn't put her flat iron that high (she does up to 396). I'm thinking of putting it on 400. I used mine at 450. It has to be hot enough to seal the BKT and burn excess fumes off. You have to pass through each section at least 10 times. With each pass there will be less smoke/fumes released

I'm also thinking of trying this on my little sister first.... If i can't stress anything enough, please have proper ventilation!

gymfreak336

Hey guys, I'm not trying to play devils advocate here, but I noticed that no one is posting the cons here. Even with a mask, some of the fumes will still get through. Here's an article and the link:

Here's the link http://wiredberries.com/beauty/2007/10/new_hairstraightening_formulad.asp
New Hair-Straightening Formula--Danger! Beware!
by Valerie Gladstone — October 26, 2007

Over the past year, a new hair-straightening product has been--excuse the pun--making waves across the country. Developed in Brazil, it promises glossy, sleek but voluminous hair, even for color- treated hair, in 2 to 3 months. Called in Portuguese escova progressiva--progressive blow dry--it has been available as Brazilian Keratin Treatment from M&M International and Brazilian Blowout by Argyle Salon & Spa in Los Angeles. Not since the Japanese thermal treatment 5 years ago has a hair-straightening product generated such buzz. Treatment costs in major salons across the country run between $150 and $600.

So what's wrong with it? Its major ingredient, and why it smells so bad, is formaldehyde, which is classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency on research for Cancer, part of the World Health Organization. In short, it can cause cancer. The solution contains 10 times more than the .2 % that is determined to be safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel, a group of scientists and doctors who assess and set recommended safety standards for cosmetics ingredients.

Though formaldehyde can be found in household cleaners, synthetic fabrics, carpets, plywood, tobacco smoke, and smog, it is in quantities believed to be harmless. And while skin contact can cause hives and other minor irritations, inhaling the chemical is the real danger.

Once the Brazilian straightening solution is painted on dry hair, the stylist flatirons the hair, releasing vapors into the air. With repeated inhalation at higher levels, it is associated with nasal and brain cancer, and possibly leukemia, according to the National Cancer Institute.

Using a low concentration of formaldehyde won't work as a straightener; it then becomes ineffective. You would think with word of the dangers spreading through the hair business that people would have stopped using it. But salons are offering the treatment, on the sly, like an illegal drug. A black market for it is developing. What women won't sometimes do for their appearance! Unfortunately, no group approves beauty products before they come to market. But still, we should be smart enough to figure out some things ourselves, right?

Lucky, this was my problem with it. I don't trust the labels that even say 2% because in independent testing, most of them were alot more than just 2%. I would have to find one that has less than 2% before I could jump at it.

crazydaze911

Did you really put the flat iron up to 490? I was talking to chocolatesis (sp) and she told me she doesn't put her flat iron that high (she does up to 396). I'm thinking of putting it on 400.

I'm also thinking of trying this on my little sister first.... :look:

how old is ur sis? so ur making her the guinea pig already? - lol

crazydaze911

Super Skinny Amazing Results
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, 5.1oz
Price: $13.73

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum 0.85 oz ( Travel Size )
Price: $5.95

Paul Mitchell Super-Skinny Smoothing Serum Pump 5.1 Ounces
Price: $18.59

PAUL MITCHELL SUPER SKINNY SHAMPOO & TREATMENT LITERS
Price: $29.90

e

Thanks for the cons also. but just to be clear - NONE of the products mentioned will make my hair manageable WITHOUT heat. for those of us who dont like using alot of it (heat), theres gotta be some alternative..... I personally loved the BKT but i only got it once. i switched to the Keratina recommended by one of our board members - no formaldehyde, no fumes, cheaper and faster......
The BKT does have better results (m not gonna lie) so i might just alternate between the two....

Last edited:

africa

Thanks for the post. The other side is needed as well and to each her own.

I would love to try this but that post a while back that said someone had died from doing BKT forever put me off, lol! I'm too much of a scaredy cat to try it, so I'll have to live vicariously through the ladies here.

I'm glad they are coming out with alternate chemicals though.

girlcherokee

between the formaldehyde the blow drying and the 450 degree heat passed thru 10 times, this sounds like it would burn my hair clear out of my head. LOL - i think i will be living vicariously thru you guys!!! thanks for sharing - your hair looks beautiful!!

me-T

well that con article just kinda killed my interest a lil bit but....is there a keratina thread around here?

crazydaze911

Looks great :grin:

The only thing I woud be concerned about is the amount of heat

The heat is applied AFTER the BKT (the BKT isnt washed out). It is 10 passes of the flatiron BUT the BKT acts like Chi silk infusion on crack :lachen: - meaning its a SUPER DUPER heat protectant. when i got mine, i told the lady i didnt want to trim, and she was like "it doesnt matter" cuz after the BKT ur hair is coated and looks shiny and hides the splits b/c they get sealed by the BKT. Cant say what could happen with long term use but i dont think one try would make ur hair fall out - lol.

Rina

Girl, I am loving the silky look. The treatment really did your hair some justice. Can't until you update in the future in regards to your progress.

Jaxhair

Beautiful, sleek results but no way would I pay that kind of money for that amount of formaldehyde. Where fans and masks are involved? I'm not exposing myself to that. I feel more for the stylists though as they truly are exposing themselves to a known carcinogen day in day out....... this is so new, I worry about what peeps will be saying in years to come when they get sick? I hope I'm wrong though, but that much formaldehyde? If I'm honest, I'd rather the heat, lose my hair and grow it again healthy rather than lose it whilst going through dangerous treatment to rid my body of malignancy.

Having said that, I'd also love to see the OP's progress 3-4 months down the line please?

yodie

Beautiful, sleek results but no way would I pay that kind of money for that amount of formaldehyde. Where fans and masks are involved? I'm not exposing myself to that. I feel more for the stylists though as they truly are exposing themselves to a known carcinogen day in day out....... this is so new, I worry about what peeps will be saying in years to come when they get sick? I hope I'm wrong though, but that much formaldehyde? If I'm honest, I'd rather the heat, lose my hair and grow it again healthy rather than lose it whilst going through dangerous treatment to rid my body of malignancy.

Having said that, I'd also love to see the OP's progress 3-4 months down the line please?

I hear what you're saying, but is this any worse than putting lye and no lye (all chemicals) on your hair that eventually seep into your scalp? Is this any worse than using some of the lotions, deodorants and makeup that we use? These products contain harmful chems that seep into our skin and years later may cause......

Guess you really have to choose your poison.

Jaxhair

I hear what you're saying, but is this any worse than putting lye and no lye (all chemicals) on your hair that eventually seep into your scalp? Is this any worse than using some of the lotions, deodorants and makeup that we use? These products contain harmful chems that seep into our skin and years later may cause......

Guess you really have to choose your poison.

I guess my line of work and some personal experiences have got me trying to exclude all types of chemicals in my lifestyle. One of the things I stopped doing when I started turning my life around 4 years ago was chemical treatments. The more I learn the more I change to something more natural and organic whenever I can. And that for me includes skincare, haircare, deodorants, makeup, furnishings, food and drink. And yes, the skin is a massive organ and absorbs plenty. The lungs do too. You are right.... one does choose one's own poison, but alot of times many, many people don't understand the toxins we're forced to live with without choosing anyway and / or the cumulative effects these poisons have on our health. But that's just me..... my job makes me so paranoid and hypochondric that I wanna live as clean as I possibly can, probably because I'm exposed to some nasties there anyway. I do understand not all are exposed to the same as I am, so I guess for them it's okay. I'm just saying personally I'd not go through with this just like I wouldn't choose to relax. But hey, it looks fab and it's a 3x/year process so I guess perspective is the key here if one knows what they are getting done and what protective measures are available if one chooses to use them. And perhaps it's better than 6 weekly relaxer services... I don't know. Just my humble opinion - I don't mean to offend at all.

yodie

I guess my line of work and some personal experiences have got me trying to exclude all types of chemicals in my lifestyle. One of the things I stopped doing when I started turning my life around 4 years ago was chemical treatments. The more I learn the more I change to something more natural and organic whenever I can. And that for me includes skincare, haircare, deodorants, makeup, furnishings, food and drink. And yes, the skin is a massive organ and absorbs plenty. The lungs do too. You are right.... one does choose one's own poison, but alot of times many, many people don't understand the toxins we're forced to live with without choosing anyway and / or the cumulative effects these poisons have on our health. But that's just me..... my job makes me so paranoid and hypochondric that I wanna live as clean as I possibly can, probably because I'm exposed to some nasties there anyway. I do understand not all are exposed to the same as I am, so I guess for them it's okay. I'm just saying personally I'd not go through with this just like I wouldn't choose to relax. But hey, it looks fab and it's a 3x/year process so I guess perspective is the key here if one knows what they are getting done and what protective measures are available if one chooses to use them. And perhaps it's better than 6 weekly relaxer services... I don't know. Just my humble opinion - I don't mean to offend at all.

No offense taken at all. Hope you weren't offended by my post either. I can speak for myself in that my hair has fallen out many, many, many times due to relaxers. Like you, I want to refrain from another chem episode. So, I went natural and for ME, being natural isn't easy. If I could wear a relaxer, I would. I long for styling ease, being able to get close to water without getting nervous and oh, a wash and go!!

As much as I'd like to, I know I can't avoid all chems just because of the world I live in. So, BKT... we may be meeting very soon.

Last edited:

Jaxhair

No offense taken here at all... this is a forum, we discuss things, agree, disagree etc.

Good luck chick! I know natural isn't for all. Heck, 4 years ago I'd have jumped on this pronto! I probably would have in August 2007 when I got so frustrated with my natural hair and had a texturizer which I promptly cut off. This would have saved my hair some, lol! And the fact it eventually reverts is a bonus too. But yes, my job makes life difficult for me where chemicals are conserned and I just am so passionate about not coming into contact with stuff I can choose not to be in contact with.

Keep us updated every step of your journey when / if you take the plunge though :yep:. I'm really curious to see how hair reverts back to its kinky self.....