Ladies who got the Brazilian Keratin Treatment: Updates on BKT and questions

bravenewgirl87

How are you caring for your hair? Are you doing the same things that you were doing before when your hair was relaxed? How do you maintain the BKT?

Can you transition to natural with the BKT?

brittanynic16

How are you caring for your hair? Are you doing the same things that you were doing before when your hair was relaxed? How do you maintain the BKT?

Can you transition to natural with the BKT?

I treat my hair like I would if I had a relaxer. I wash, condition, rollerset and moisturize when needed. All I do to maintain it is use little direct heat & stay away from shampoos with sodium chloride. I am sure you could transition because that it kind of what I am doing. I textuzired my hair which had little or no affect of my texture & it began to break. So, I did the BTK & got a cut and that has helped a lot. So, when I did the treatment my hair almost the same texture as when I was natural hair but I am looking forward to cutting the text. hair out and being completly natural and just using the BTK.

I have had the treatment for about 3 weeks and I really like it.

JLove74

I treat my hair like I would if I had a relaxer. I wash, condition, rollerset and moisturize when needed. All I do to maintain it is use little direct heat & stay away from shampoos with sodium chloride. I am sure you could transition because that it kind of what I am doing. I textuzired my hair which had little or no affect of my texture & it began to break. So, I did the BTK & got a cut and that has helped a lot. So, when I did the treatment my hair almost the same texture as when I was natural hair but I am looking forward to cutting the text. hair out and being completly natural and just using the BTK.

I have had the treatment for about 3 weeks and I really like it.

but if you use BTK, you wouldn't be natural, right?

brittanynic16

The treatment will eventually wear off and my hair will return to whatever conditon it was b4 I used the treatment. To answer your question, I would be natural. But, I really don't care about the "label" it gives me. I just want to wear my hair straight for an extended period of time without using relaxers and be able to wear my bush if I change my mind one day without cutting off all my hair.

JLove74

The treatment will eventually wear off and my hair will return to whatever conditon it was b4 I used the treatment. To answer your question, I would be natural. But, I really don't care about the "label" it gives me. I just want to wear my hair straight for an extended period of time without using relaxers and be able to wear my bush if I change my mind one day without cutting off all my hair.

so, when you wet your hair is it straight or curly? I was under the thinking that anything applied to the hair to permanently change the texture of your hair would have to grow out like a relaxer. But are you saying that with this you can be straight one day (without having to use a dryer) and curly the next (with just wetting it)?

brittanynic16

so, when you wet your hair is it straight or curly? I was under the thinking that anything applied to the hair to permanently change the texture of your hair would have to grow out like a relaxer. But are you saying that with this you can be straight one day (without having to use a dryer) and curly the next (with just wetting it)?

The treatment takes 2 to 4 months to wear off. Here is a little information for the site that sales the product that I used.

http://globalkeratin.com/Conceito.aspx

Brazilian Keratin Treatment

The Keratin Treatment is an innovative process that transforms the hair in its entirety. The treatment is keratin based, keratin is the primary protein of the skin, hair and nails. This natural substance gives hair the ability to return to its original healthy, shiny, smooth state.

Unlike other products available in the market, such as relaxers or the Japanese thermal conditioning, the Keratin Treatment straightens the hair without damaging or changing its texture. The treatment can be use in all hair types, including chemically treated hair (colored, permed, relaxed, highlighted and bleached). The Keratin Treatment is also knows as Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Brazilian Straightening System, Progressive Straightening, Brazilian Blowout and Escova Progressiva among others.

The application process lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hours depending on the length and thickness of the hair. After product is applied, it is sealed with a hot iron which traps moisture, hydrates the hair and creates a glossy finish. Results are visible immediately after treatment is completed, clients are amazed to say the least. Hair looks healthy and youthful, it resembles children’s hair.

Taking care of the hair after the Keratin Treatment is applied is effortless. The amount of time required to style hair will decrease dramatically, in some cases is wash and go. Others require some blow drying and minimum styling time. This treatment restores hair resiliency: humidity, rain or sweat will no longer affect the hairstyle. No more frizzy hair!

The results last two to four months, the treatment fades progressively as hair is washed. As clients repeat the treatment every few months or so, you will be able to observe the improved quality of hair grown after the Keratin Treatment was applied.

This revolutionary process was developed in Brazil, and is now available in the US and other markets in North America, Latin America and Europe.

Aveena

..... thanks for the review. I'm going to have to look into this further.

eta:

interesting... the process seems very involved. How long did it take?

Last edited:

brittanynic16

Does it matter what your original hair texture is (i.e. type 2 or 3 only)? Or can it work on all hair types?

I am a 4a. Even with the textuzier I was no looser than a 3c (if that) and it worked well for me. But, I guess I can't really say until I do my next treatment (in 4 weeks) and I have more new growth.

hopeful

Loved the pics in your fotki. Your hair looks very silky and pretty. Please keep us updated on how you do with the Keratin treatment over time.

cocoberry10

I am a 4a. Even with the textuzier I was no looser than a 3c (if that) and it worked well for me. But, I guess I can't really say until I do my next treatment (in 4 weeks) and I have more new growth.

Thanks for the info. Does this treatment make it easier to blowdry? I am going to research this treatment!

ThursdayGirl

Pretty hair ladies :)

are either of you ladies doing it yourself?

if you are going to a professional, how much does it cost you each time?

crazydaze911

Just got the BKT done last friday. I was sad to find out that sodium chloride is not only in shampoos, but also in conditioners - including Aveda smooth (the blue one) giovanni, and K-pak. I was just wondering, all of you that have had it done - what shampoo and conditioner do you use?

I just got the BKT done, actually, I did it myself and I LOVE the result. My hair feels soooo smooth and silky. I love that it doesn't dry up during the day. One of the reasons I never really liked to wear my hair out is that it always dried out so much during the day, but now it doesn't.

I naturally have a 4b texture, but with the BKT, my hair feels like a 4a. I just wanted to post for those ladies who are seriously considering having it done.

I know people probably think I'm crazy for doing it myself, but I wore a mask and I had a fan right in my face, as well as windows open. I wouldn't suggest anyone do it themselves--that was just my choice.

JLove74

I just got the BKT done, actually, I did it myself and I LOVE the result. My hair feels soooo smooth and silky. I love that it doesn't dry up during the day. One of the reasons I never really liked to wear my hair out is that it always dried out so much during the day, but now it doesn't.

I naturally have a 4b texture, but with the BKT, my hair feels like a 4a. I just wanted to post for those ladies who are seriously considering having it done.

I know people probably think I'm crazy for doing it myself, but I wore a mask and I had a fan right in my face, as well as windows open. I wouldn't suggest anyone do it themselves--that was just my choice.

so are you relaxed or natural?

MissRissa

yeah can we get a list of shampoos/conditioners you can use with this. I'm considering permanently coloring my hair again this fall (even though I swore off color for 08) and if I do, I think I may use this.

Can I get a picture of someone's hair after they've washed it? is there no curl/wave pattern at all? I'm a trusty wash n goer, i wouldnt know what to do with no curl.

WOW - that's all I can say. You gotta whole lotta nerve, I'd be scared to do it period, but on relaxed hair even more.

But hey, if it works for you **tumbs up**

I know. It's not for everyone. Actually, it works pretty well on relaxed hair. Supposedly, since the hair has already been chemically treated, the BKT can penetrate better.

yeah can we get a list of shampoos/conditioners you can use with this. I'm considering permanently coloring my hair again this fall (even though I swore off color for 08) and if I do, I think I may use this.

Can I get a picture of someone's hair after they've washed it? is there no curl/wave pattern at all? I'm a trusty wash n goer, i wouldnt know what to do with no curl.

I've only washed my hair once after doing the treatment. It was very slick and smooth after washing and lays down flatter. It seems to dry faster, and definitely smoother. My underprocessed parts are still wavy/curly but soooo much softer and smoother. I suffered a lot of breakage last summer due to underprocessed hair. I wish I had discovered this sooner. I know I wouldn't have had all that breakage since the treatment makes your hair stronger.

I know that you have to avoid products that contain sodium chloride. So far, I've just been using Elucence. I'm going to wash my hair tonight, so I'll try to take a picture of it right after it's washed.