Ladies who got the Brazilian Keratin Treatment: Updates on BKT and questions

sheba1

If your hair is natural and healthy, bkt will loosen the curls in your hair after your first wash. (This is what happened to my sister and I).

I've had a lot of questions as to how I kept so much curl, and I think this is the reason for me. My hair was very healthy and kept much of the curl, even though it straightens more easily if I choose to.

SoCalli which bkt do you (did you?) use?

taz007

I apologize if this has been asked before but what is it about the BKT that gives such fantastic results?

Is it the formaldehyde? The keratin? The heat?

Could one just purchase keratin and bake it into the hair and get the same results?

I hope these aren't dumb questions :rolleyes:

sheba1

I apologize if this has been asked before but what is it about the BKT that gives such fantastic results?

Is it the formaldehyde? The keratin? The heat?

Could one just purchase keratin and bake it into the hair and get the same results?

I hope these aren't dumb questions

I don't think these are dumb questions, at all, Taz. I wish I knew the answer. I mean, it must be a combination of them all, right? Because we know that keratin, by itself, can cause hair to be brittle and some experience protein "over load". I wish I knew what it was exactly, also. If anyone has ideas, I'm interested in hearing them.

Titansgirl

Just got my hair done today. I have some shedding still, I guess because my strand is still weak and it snaps easily when wet. The great news is that I have a nice amount of healthy new growth. Yay!!

Congrats on taking the plunge...... I hope that you love the treatment as much as the rest of us!!!!

Titansgirl

Ok ladies so my package arrived today! :drunk: I picked the Organic Thermo Fusion BKT! The instructions are a little different!

1st Apply BKT to 30% damp hair
2nd You flat iron hair in the range of 380 to 450 F. Flat iron each section 5 to 10 times with out stopping.
3rd Wash hair with mild soap.
4th apply conditioner or treatment ( which states for best results apply a treatment sold by the company that is not offered on the ebay site)
Finalize by drying the hair or using a flat ior and style.

The ingredients: Water, Cetaryl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Propelene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimoium Methosulfate, Quatemium-33, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquatemium-7 Cethyl hexanoate, Bis-isobutyl Peg/pppg-25/35/Amodimethicone copolymer, Polysobate-80 Butylene Glycol, Morbicid Acid, Mineral oil, Hydrogenated Sterene/Butadoeme Copolymer, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Fragances.

So what do you guys think?

Your hair turned out GREAT!!! I used the Softliss brand, and the steps are similiar to the treatment you use. It's similiar in the fact that the entire process is performed in one day. You don't have to wait 2 to 4 days before washing it out.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
BKT Tip How to sleep on hair before the wash step- after I flat ironed my hair I dry wrapped it every night for 3 days and covered with a silk scarf. My hair stayed straight, no bends or issues and I haven't had to touch it up once! My 1st treatment I had to flat iton at least 1 section every morning before I waqshed it out. I'm washing it out tonight, just wanted to shar my tip.

AtlantaJJ

Just got my hair done today. I have some shedding still, I guess because my strand is still weak and it snaps easily when wet. The great news is that I have a nice amount of healthy new growth. Yay!!
You did the BKT? What brand, you had it done at a salon? Details please!!

Jenn22588

BKT Tip How to sleep on hair before the wash step- after I flat ironed my hair I dry wrapped it every night for 3 days and covered with a silk scarf. My hair stayed straight, no bends or issues and I haven't had to touch it up once! My 1st treatment I had to flat iton at least 1 section every morning before I waqshed it out. I'm washing it out tonight, just wanted to shar my tip.

This is what I did. I also kept it wrapped while I was home and did not have to touch up. I also wore it in a ponytail the 3rd day :nono: I couldn't take it anymore.

MarieB

A)Glad to see the Thanks button back!

B) I wrapped every night, too! I did have to flat-iron after the first day because I get active in my sleep, apparently, but otherwise it's been a dream! I'm still air-drying...:grin::grin::grin:!

Mz DEE DEE

Any one with a relaxer who's not transitioning using this regularly?? ... This seems like a great stretching method but i want to know the time frame for alternating the BKT with the relaxer...

sunshinne368

Your hair turned out GREAT!!! I used the Softliss brand, and the steps are similiar to the treatment you use. It's similiar in the fact that the entire process is performed in one day. You don't have to wait 2 to 4 days before washing it out.

I was thinking of trying the softliss brand next. Do you need a license to purchase it?

Dove56

Okay Veejee, LD, and AtlantaJJ you ladies need to stop it!!!!!!:spinning:
You all are really making it difficult for me to follow thru with my initial plan and let the BKT wear off my hair!
At the way I'm loving BKT I just may become a BKT junkie and apply it every couple of months.:grin:

LOL! I was going to do the same thing and let the tx fade with time, intially, but with these results I'm going to BKT every three months. :yep: Life is just TOO EASY with these treatment!:drunk:

yodie

You did the BKT? What brand, you had it done at a salon? Details please!!

No, just a regular press.

I know yall are probably sick of me talking about my shedding/breakage issues, but my hair only breaks when it's wet. I have no problems with shedding/breakage after my hair has been styled.
Maybe BKT will strengthen my hair to the point that I don't lose as much when it's wet.

This shedding is thinning my hair. I need stronger strands until my new growth replaces the strands that I already have.

Almost time for me to redo my sew in. I'll definitely post when I BKT.

Last edited:

yodie

Is there a major difference between the all in one day BKT treatments, Softliss and Marcia Texteira (sp) vs. the BKT treatments that need to sit a few days, Global, QOD, Rejuvenol?

I'm talking results wise.
Thanks.

AtlantaJJ

Is there a major difference between the all in one day BKT treatments, Softliss and Marcia Texteira (sp) vs. the BKT treatments that need to sit a few days, Global, QOD, Rejuvenol?

Thanks.
I can't say because I only tried the OK Original Keratin which is the Chocolate Keratin... I don't have anything to compare it to. I want to try Rejuvinol Keratin, I think its adds weight to fine hair.

Titansgirl

Thanks.

Hi Yodie, sorry about mistaken you for getting the BKT treatment. I thought you were talking about the treatment when you were talking about your press.

In reference to the differences between treatments, it looks like the end results are the same for the different brands. I decided to use the Softliss brand because it stated that the main ingredient for the treatment is an organic compound.

yodie

Hi Yodie, sorry about mistaken you for getting the BKT treatment. I thought you were talking about the treatment when you were talking about your press.

In reference to the differences between treatments, it looks like the end results are the same for the different brands. I decided to use the Softliss brand because it stated that the main ingredient for the treatment is an organic compound.

I was just researching Softliss and their site says formaldehyde free. Hmmm...

So many BKT options to choose from.

Titansgirl

Yodi, I know!! I ended up buying the 8oz package. It came with the clarifying shampoo, the main treatment, & a hair mask(which is like a strong protei treatment). I have already done two treatments(1 week apart). The 2nd one got my hair so straight that I've decided that I won't do another treatment for at least two months or three.

yodie

Do strong protein treatments loosen the curl?

Not to go off topic, but I noticed that my daily use of Megatek (so regret this) took most of my curl away.

gymfreak336

Organic just means carbon containing. Formaldehyde is organic.

lwilliams1922

I've be wondering....

When people do additional applications do you use the clarifiyiing poo? doesnt it have sodium that would strip away previous keratin??

I think I read that someone was actually doing touchups in between full treatments. So I'm just thinking about possibly stripping any hair that still has keratin on it.

sheba1

I've be wondering....

When people do additional applications do you use the clarifiyiing poo? doesnt it have sodium that would strip away previous keratin??

I think I read that someone was actually doing touchups in between full treatments. So I'm just thinking about possibly stripping any hair that still has keratin on it.

I use the clarifying shampoo each time. It doesn't strip treatment completely. There's a theory that it even "roughs up" the treatment that's already on the hair to help the new application adhere better.

I'm a Newbie to LHCF. I'm a natural (4 years in august), no chemicals; I got a Sinead O’Connor chop in Aug 2005.

In an attempt to gain more manageability, in Feb 2009 I did a La Brasiliana BKT "test" on a small section along my left ear area (i.e. Kunta Kente world). The kinks eventually reverted but the protein treatment left the hairs still much softer (protein coating). In May 2009, I decided to do the Labrasiliana BKT but on the front half section of my head. Great results; similar to Sheba1's 2nd picture. The only drawback was the straight strands on both sides of my temple (which may be due to my different hair textures - i have 3 different textures on my head! back is super soft, middle is tight curls and left ear area is kunta kente world!! Crazy, huh?). To speed up the reversion process on the straight strands, I did an aggressive experiment mixing conditioner with table salt and left it overnight a couple of times and my stands reverted within days!!

luckiestdestiny

I'm a Newbie to LHCF. I'm a natural (4 years in august), no chemicals; I got a Sinead O’Connor chop in Aug 2005.

In an attempt to gain more manageability, in Feb 2009 I did a La Brasiliana BKT "test" on a small section along my left ear area (i.e. Kunta Kente world). The kinks eventually reverted but the protein treatment left the hairs still much softer (protein coating). In May 2009, I decided to do the Labrasiliana BKT but on the front half section of my head. Great results; similar to Sheba1's 2nd picture. The only drawback was the straight strands on both sides of my temple (which may be due to my different hair textures - i have 3 different textures on my head! back is super soft, middle is tight curls and left ear area is kunta kente world!! Crazy, huh?). To speed up the reversion process on the straight strands, I did an aggressive experiment mixing conditioner with table salt and left it overnight a couple of times and my stands reverted within days!!

Wow. I would not recommend throwin away the BKT (money wise) but I'm glad you posted this because there was an issue with some naturals (not just on this site, I was viewing other sites for our hair type) believing hair wouldn't revert, that this is just another type of relaxer, and this shows that it does revert, and is only temporary. I'm natural and was quite confident that BKT is just a coating.

I know it was quite obvious to me how it worked as a coating, but sometimes people just want to hear it from someone who has been through the reversion process instead of just a theory.

Thanks for this post.:yep:

crazydaze911

Hey ladies:
i just updated one of my older threads with reversion pics, but i wanted to post here as well.

first pic - second wash after BKT
second pic - 3 months later, this weeks wash

shrinkage is starting to come back and you can see the HUGE difference between my natural and relaxed ends - showing things are getting back to normal.

Attachments

• wet hair bkt.jpg
    wet hair bkt.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01241.JPG
    DSC01241.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 83