I am so frustrated with my hair right now!!!

Xavier

Ladies I did my big chop back and July of 2011 and yesterday was my first time blow drying my hair and flat ironing. I can not tell you how disappointed I am. My 4a/4b natural hair looks horrible. It feels like straw, dry, brittle, has no shine or body. I expected healthier hair after giving up on relaxers but this is just a mess.

I deep condition, moisturize daily, use protective styles. I follow all the things naturals are advised to do to maintain healthy hair.

Has anyone had straw like excessively dry hair and was able to turn it around? I am feeling really down about this today ladies. I really need your help on this one.

faithVA

[USER=17994 said:
Xavier[/USER];18082585]Ladies I did my big chop back and July of 2011 and yesterday was my first time blow drying my hair and flat ironing. I can not tell you how disappointed I am. My 4a/4b natural hair looks horrible. It feels like straw, dry, brittle, has no shine or body. I expected healthier hair after giving up on relaxers but this is just a mess.

I deep condition, moisturize daily, use protective styles. I follow all the things naturals are advised to do to maintain healthy hair.

Has anyone had straw like excessively dry hair and was able to turn it around? I am feeling really down about this today ladies. I really need your help on this one.

There may not be anything wrong with your hair. It may just have been your blow drying technique.

From shampoo to blowdrying yesterday what was your regimen: products, technique?

Xavier

There may not be anything wrong with your hair. It may just have been your blow drying technique.

From shampoo to blowdrying yesterday what was your regimen: products, technique?

Well I washed with my watered down Elasta QP Soy Ultra Hydration Neutralizing Shampoo. I washed one time and then deep conditioned with Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Renewing Treatment and Aussie Moist. I sat under the dryer for over 2 hours while reading.

At first I only used a drop of IC heat protectant and my hair looked fried after blow drying and flat ironing. I then decided to add coconut oil and some shea moisture enhancing smoothie. The majority of my hair I used the coconut oil, shea moisture and heat protectant mixture. :nono:

I did not use a comb attachment with the blow dryer and I also have an off brand flat iron. I plan to purchase new styling tools soon to see if that makes a difference.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Xavier does your hair normally feel like straw or was it just like that yesterday? If so, then it may be technique or some product you used yesterday. If it's normally dry and you feel it's not healthy, then you may have to revamp your regimen and up the moisture.

faithVA

You sat under the dryer for 2 hours while DCing?

I am not a straightening expert just trying to get the preliminaries out of the way until they get here. I don't know if your heat protectant is a good one. I know that most ladies use a heat protectant and a serum. They seem to have better results with fewer products.

Did you use the tension method to blow dry?

Did you add the shea moisture before you blow dried? after you blow dried? after you flat ironed? Confused over the order of your steps. I don't think you can use it as part of a straigthening routine at all. I would think it would make your hair swell up.

Xavier

@Xavier does your hair normally feel like straw or was it just like that yesterday? If so, then it may be technique or some product you used yesterday. If it's normally dry and you feel it's not healthy, then you may have to revamp your regimen and up the moisture.

It usually feels mositured. I wear my protective styles for 1-2 weeks and spray my hair with aloe vera juice and water daily. I have nothing to compare my flat ironing results to because this was my first time.

Jewell

Judging from the products used, it seems to me the shea moisture is the culprit. Its a good product, but too heavy to be used with heat tools. It's just not gonna give good results used like that. You used both coconut oil plus the shea moisture. That contains coconut oil too. Coconut oil is a form of protein that penetrates the hair shaft. All that coconut oil is also what may have led to dryness and that fried feeling.

A light bit of coconut oil should be ok but I think using both of those is what gave you bad results. Fantasia ic heat protectant and serum are good products. But you must usea sufficient amount of serum or heat protectant on each section to be ironed in order for it to actually work n produce silky hair. They shouldnt have left ur hair in an undesirable state. I'd bet money it was the shea moisture. I have many of the products u used and as a natural i used off brand or nominally-priced heat tools like remington but never had the results u speak of, but of course my hair isnt ur hair!. So i think it was that one product. HTH!

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
It usually feels mositured. I wear my protective styles for 1-2 weeks and spray my hair with aloe vera juice and water daily. I have nothing to compare my flat ironing results to because this was my first time.

Ok cool. I used to get good results from using the tension method of blow drying and a heat protectant, the IC Fantasia one. I didn't use any other products. Wait, you used a drop of the ICF heat protectant? I used to use way more than that and my hair used to come out silky.

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

Xavier said:

Prepping your hair and infusing your hair with moisture are key.

Using a bunch of products not designed to flat iron with will not give you good results. I don't know what temperature you used or if you used the comb and chase method.

I think you will need to watch some YouTube videos, make sure you are using a good flat iron, use the correct products and find some threads on getting good results after flat ironing. It takes practice and I wouldn't want to practice on my hair. I wouldn't do it again too soon. You don't want to damage your hair.

Make sure you give your hair a protein treatment after you wash those silicones out. Follow by a moisturizing dc.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

lana

I agree with the ladies above. I cannot use coconut oil on my hair if I'm flatironing. I would never use Shea Moisture for flatironing because it has the coconut oil in it and it's way too heavy.

I would also suggest that you use a straightening shampoo and straightening conditioner like Redken Smooth Down or Nexxus Straightening or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight, the next time you straighten. Always prep the hair with the right products before you style. My best straight results come from the blow dryer and comb attachment and then a flat iron with combchase or Maxiglide. But that is after deep conditioning overnight and using a straightening rinse out conditioner (usually Redken Smooth Down).

Xavier

You sat under the dryer for 2 hours while DCing?

I am not a straightening expert just trying to get the preliminaries out of the way until they get here. I don't know if your heat protectant is a good one. I know that most ladies use a heat protectant and a serum. They seem to have better results with fewer products.

Did you use the tension method to blow dry?

Did you add the shea moisture before you blow dried? after you blow dried? after you flat ironed? Confused over the order of your steps. I don't think you can use it as part of a straigthening routine at all. I would think it would make your hair swell up.

faithVA

I DC'd for 2 hours under the hooded dryer.

I don't know what the tension method but I can guess and I am gonna go with yes. Can you describe this to me?

And I added all my products before blowing drying and flat ironing. I worked the products in and then blow dried.

Xavier

Ok cool. I used to get good results from using the tension method of blow drying and a heat protectant, the IC Fantasia one. I didn't use any other products. Wait, you used a drop of the ICF heat protectant? I used to use way more than that and my hair used to come out silky.

Jewell and HoneyA

I noticed you both mentioned using more of the IC protectant. I only used a small amount. 1 drop per section and they were large sections. I thought that using more would give me a greasy and weighed down look.

HanaKuroi

Xavier said:
faithVA

I don't know what the tension method but I can guess and I am gonna go with yes. Can you describe this to me?

And I added all my products before blowing drying and flat ironing. I worked the products in and then blow dried.

What do you think tension method means?

Yes, we understood you used the products prior. You can't use all those. They aren't made for flat ironing.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Xavier

I agree with the ladies above. I cannot use coconut oil on my hair if I'm flatironing. I would never use Shea Moisture for flatironing because it has the coconut oil in it and it's way too heavy.

I would also suggest that you use a straightening shampoo and straightening conditioner like Redken Smooth Down or Nexxus Straightening or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight, the next time you straighten. Always prep the hair with the right products before you style. My best straight results come from the blow dryer and comb attachment and then a flat iron with combchase or Maxiglide. But that is after deep conditioning overnight and using a straightening rinse out conditioner (usually Redken Smooth Down).

I will keep these products in mind.

almond eyes

Don't panic, it may not be as bad as you think.

Your hair needs a good moisturing conditioner after your shampoo and all must be washed out properly.

You need a light amount of heat protectant. I personally do not like to use oil at all unless it is already in my heat protectant.

You need to have the right blow out technique. The tension method works well for me.

When I was natural and did my own blow out it turned out like what you described. I proceeded to do more damage by trying to blow it out straight and then used a pressing comb because I didn't understand why the ends were still looking and feeling like straw. My hands are terrible at doing blow outs so I always go to a professional or someone who knows how to do them.

You would be surprised what a good blow out looks like and will really be able to show you how much damaged hair you have.

Best,
Almond Eyes

ThatJerseyGirl

i think it's da coconut oil. i did that one time and used coconut oil before blow drying and flat ironing...and chiiiiilllle....my hair felt like ramen noodles straight from da pack...

neva again....

Ann0804

My two cents:

I found that if using a blow dryer, I definitely do need a comb attachment. Also roller setting or doing a braid out instead of blow drying keeps my hair more moisturized and helps my hair have a shine once I have flat ironed.

Also, why the neutralizing shampoo instead of a really moisturizing one, and the conditioner (organix)-is that a product that your natural hair likes. I only ask because that brand dried out and tangled my hair when I used it.

I also agree with the other poster that you need more heat protection on each section.

faithVA

faithVA

faithVA

If you read the rest of the posts in the thread you will get more information.

DCing for 2 hours is great. But you don't need to spend 2 hours under a hooded dryer. I think that is excessive.

The tension method is merely holding your hair taught while you dry it.

And the other posts in the thread speak about your product selection. That product selection won't work for a blow dry or flat iron.

Xavier

Don't panic, it may not be as bad as you think.

Your hair needs a good moisturing conditioner after your shampoo and all must be washed out properly.

You need a light amount of heat protectant. I personally do not like to use oil at all unless it is already in my heat protectant.

You need to have the right blow out technique. The tension method works well for me.

When I was natural and did my own blow out it turned out like what you described. I proceeded to do more damage by trying to blow it out straight and then used a pressing comb because I didn't understand why the ends were still looking and feeling like straw. My hands are terrible at doing blow outs so I always go to a professional or someone who knows how to do them.

You would be surprised what a good blow out looks like and will really be able to show you how much damaged hair you have.

Best,
Almond Eyes

The last salon I went to the lady complained about how nappy my hair was during the entire blow out. This was during my transition. My hair looked great but the experience was awful. I wouldn't mind going to a professional but I don't want someone giving me a hard time while doing my hair.

My hair has always been super thick and even when I was relaxed I would get complaints about having too much hair.

I think I'll try to do it myself a few more times before seeking a professional.

Xavier

My two cents:

I found that if using a blow dryer, I definitely do need a comb attachment. Also roller setting or doing a braid out instead of blow drying keeps my hair more moisturized and helps my hair have a shine once I have flat ironed.

Also, why the neutralizing shampoo instead of a really moisturizing one, and the conditioner (organix)-is that a product that your natural hair likes. I only ask because that brand dried out and tangled my hair when I used it.

I also agree with the other poster that you need more heat protection on each section.

I usually do co-washes so that was the only shampoo I had. It is an ultra moisturizing shampoo so I went with it.

I've used the Organix before and my hair was soft and managable afterwards.

Jewell

Jewell and HoneyA

I noticed you both mentioned using more of the IC protectant. I only used a small amount. 1 drop per section and they were large sections. I thought that using more would give me a greasy and weighed down look.

Xavier

Depending on how large each section is, a dime-sized amount of serum, or two good sprays of a heat spray, one on the top and under side of the hair should protect it sufficiently. Also, the silkiest flat iron results come from using SMALL sections, like 1/4-1/2" thick unless you use a large flat iron, one meant for long hair with 1-1/2-2" plates in width.

I have 4 irons ranging from 1/2" to 2". The smallest has teeth, (Maxius Miniglide) and is for edges/short untangeled hair. The largest is for the rest of my hair. If your sections are super big, you might even need a nickle-sized amt of serum...depending on how thick the serum is, and all.

ETA Keep in mind that some of the serum will be rubbed off/burned off/etc by the iron depending on how high the heat is. So that is a factor in how much to use also.

Last edited:

londonfog

I usually do co-washes so that was the only shampoo I had. It is an ultra moisturizing shampoo so I went with it.

I've used the Organix before and my hair was soft and managable afterwards.

I was thinking the same thing about the Neutralizing shampoo. I'm relaxed but before my HHJ I used a neutralizing poo for a regular wash (without the relaxer) & couldn't figure out for the life of me why my hair always felt like coffee filters afterwards. Now I know exactly why! Even though the bottle may have said that it was ultra moisturizing there probably is still a sulfate in there some where. Anytime I use a poo with sulfates in it I have to DC with something a little more extreme than my Organix conditioners. I also use them as well for DC'g sometimes & love them but they just don't put the moisture back in my hair after using a poo with sulfate in it like one of my more extensive moisturizing DCs. I save my Organix strictly for my co-washing/sulfate-free poo days. Just a thought :yep: