I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

hotshot

Wow, good work ladies! so im confused?
Is huile masqueti the same as palm oil? or is the the same as black castor oil?

I'm using a combo of coconut oil, white castor oil and sulphur in my hair. Every nation has its own homemade remedies, I guess!

bluediamond0829

okay so from reading what everyone is wrote...is Jamaican castor oil about the same as the huile masketi...i already have the Jamaican castor oil...so should i invest in the huile masketi also..or do they have about the same ingredients in them?...and im lazy i dont feel like going back and seeing but what does huile masketi mean in english??

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I think it's similar, my mom uses it. I bought some of the Jamaican Castor and it smells basically the same except not as strong. Like a Huile Masketi 'Lite'

ekomba

bluediamond0829 said:
okay so from reading what everyone is wrote...is Jamaican castor oil about the same as the huile masketi...i already have the Jamaican castor oil...so should i invest in the huile masketi also..or do they have about the same ingredients in them?...and im lazy i dont feel like going back and seeing but what does huile masketi mean in english??

hey bluediamond, my haitian girlfriend told me the translation of huile masketi is castor oil . and the masketi one is the one in it s natural form (color of nuts crushed) hence the black color and the one sold in the states, has been stripped of its color through processing so its clear, liquid and non sticky like the black one and sold in the stores. i never tried the jamaican one but if it a sticky dark black/maroon heavy oil that smells very nutty it must be the same that you find in many cultures

ekomba

In France, we call castor oil "huile de ricin" and i remember my mom giving to us when we had a cold or the flu it tastes really nasty and i remember it smelling very strong

bluediamond0829

thanks for the responses then..i wont try to bother finding it..i know i did a hot oil treatment a week ago with the jamaican castor oil..it is like a black or dark brown in color...all the things we go thru to get our hair to grow...i hope one day to have that nice thick and lovely hair like i see...you should see the ladies at work that are haitian and jamaican their hair is so nice and thick...and the one girl i think she is african-american she has her hair about almost bra strap length..i did talk to the older haitian lady and she did tell me that they do use minoval...but the jamaican young girl that i asked about jamaican castor oil says she never heard of it before...

ekomba

if you go on the french link i gave you you would see that some use huile de ricin that you find in french pharmacies on their eyelashes and eyebrows because it thickens hairs if you need any translation let me know plus some use grapeseed oil, jojoba oil , almond oil ... it s really fun to see international hairboards and compare notes about what works for everyone here is the link again

http://18379.aceboard.net/18379-3177-13922-0-huile-ricin.htm

hotshot

so how does palm oil factor into all this?

Regardless, it looks like there are number of popular types of natural oils "steeped with stuff" that are used for beautiful hair around the world. In India its Vatika Oil, Amla oil or some othe homemade concoction, Jamaica, dark castor oil, Haiti, Huile Masketi, which may or may not be some juiced up palm oil. Latin America: olive oil and cayenne or garlic. Southern, black US: vegetable oil or grease and sulfur. I'm trusting these places, since people have used these remedies to manage naturally thick or coarse strands of hair.

ekomba

i think for palm oil in fact all these oils are steeped from african tropical palm trees in the case of castor oil it comes from the castor-tree also called palma christi also called castor bush, these 3 terms are the same thing. Now palm oil is according to definition a yellowish fatty oil obtained especially from the crushed nuts of an african palm (elaeis guineensis) and used to manufacture of soaps, chocolates,cosmetics and candles. i guess they all kinda same family of tropical palm trees.

ekomba

hotshot said:
so how does palm oil factor into all this?

Regardless, it looks like there are number of popular types of natural oils "steeped with stuff" that are used for beautiful hair around the world. In India its Vatika Oil, Amla oil or some othe homemade concoction, Jamaica, dark castor oil, Haiti, Huile Masketi, which may or may not be some juiced up palm oil. Latin America: olive oil and cayenne or garlic. Southern, black US: vegetable oil or grease and sulfur. I'm trusting these places, since people have used these remedies to manage naturally thick or coarse strands of hair.

There you have it. you are absolutely right hotshot. Vatika oil in itself is according to Dabur, premium coconut hair oil enriched with Henna, Amla, Lemon & five other trusted herbs thus its capacity to color and thicken hair and Amla oil is sesame oil cooked with the herb Amalaki. Indians favour lighter hair oils with added sensory values as coconut oil is becoming pricey. Thats funny that you said natural oils "steeped with stuff" thats exactly that
i never add interest in the past for oils and focused on the grease its good to know that all the things we call many names like palma christi for the south americans domenicans is just castor -tree the same thing you will find it castor trees in indiana, haiti, martinique, domenican republic, africa but we just call it different names palma christi, huile masketi, huile de ricin and we all use it the same way so funny every culture use palm oil, castor oil, coconut oil, jojoba and make their own recipes humm what a discovery

Mahalialee4

http://www.viviscalhair.com/ with testimonials and all. Just by the name and the testimonials and the ingredient of marine protein, this sounds like it could be the one. It was the rage for a while among models, etc. It got attention when one model was supporting sudden long hair. I will post from the site of another Hair Board about this. Bonjour

CarLiTa

does anyone know what "Huile de Quinine" is? this lady gave it to my mom, when she ordered the other oils for me. it's reddish in color. I tried to translate it in English using google but they couldn't... I used it a couple times, and i still have plenty left. I dont know what it is or what it does. My mom said it was a good oil, but she doesn't even know much about it :look:

ekomba

CarLiTa said:
does anyone know what "Huile de Quinine" is? this lady gave it to my mom, when she ordered the other oils for me. it's reddish in color. I tried to translate it in English using google but they couldn't... I used it a couple times, and i still have plenty left. I dont know what it is or what it does. My mom said it was a good oil, but she doesn't even know much about it :look:

Im very very familiar with quinine as in Africa we used to used it for malaria treatment. i had malaria many times in my youth and growing up but i never died from it as my family back home used to administer us a bitter tasted quinine we hated to take it after that a couple years later we switch to nivaquine which contain chloroquine and that you take a week prior to traveling to africa and during your stay and 4weeks after else you can die of malaria if you dont take nothing.
I also found on quinine that it also pertains to other cultures let me paste:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Molecular structure of quinine
Tonic Water containing quinine. Note that quinine is fluorescentQuinine, C20H24N2O2, is a natural white crystalline alkaloid having antipyretic, anti-malarial and analgesic properties and a bitter taste. It is a stereoisomer of quinidine.

Quinine was the primary agent used in the treatment of malaria until it was supplanted by more effective synthetic drugs like quinacrine, chloroquine, and primaquine. Quinine may still be used to treat resistant malaria, nocturnal leg cramps and arthritis
Quinine was extracted from the bark of the South American cinchona tree, isolated and named in 1820 by French researchers Pierre Joseph Pelletier and Joseph Caventou. The name was derived from the original Quechua (Native American) word for the cinchona tree bark: "Quina" or "Quina-Quina" means, roughly, "bark of bark" or "holly bark".

The large scale use of quinine as a prophylactic started around 1850, although it had been used in un-extracted form by Europeans since at least the 17th century. The quinine-containing bark of the cinchona tree (also called Peruvian Bark) was known for its medical properties by the natives, but did not enter popular knowledge to Europeans until its abilities to combat malaria was discovered. The exact date of this discovery is controversial: malaria was not native to South America, so the natives did not know of this anti-malarial property. In 1742 the bark's anti-malarial properties were supposedly discovered by the Countess of Cinchona, when native healers cured her malaria with it, but medical reference and export of
the bark had begun up to 200 years earlier
Cinchona trees remain the only practical source of quinine. However, under wartime pressure, research towards its artificial production was undertaken: A formal chemical synthesis was accomplished in 1944 by R.B. Woodward and W.E. Doering, American chemists. Since then, several more efficient total syntheses have been achieved (see review article in: Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 2005, 44, p. 854 ff), but none of them can compete with isolation of the alkaloid from natural sources, in economical terms.

Use of quinine in therapeutic doses may cause cinchonism; in excessive doses or rare cases, it may even cause death, usually by rapid pulmonary edema. In very large doses quinine also acts as an abortifacient, or may cause birth defects, especially deafness.

Quinine is a flavour component of tonic water. According to tradition, the bitter taste of antimalarial quinine tonic led British colonials in India to mix it with gin, thus creating the gin and tonic cocktail.

In the United States the Food and Drug Administration limits tonic water quinine to 83 ppm which is one-half to one-quarter the concentration used in therapeutic tonic.

But i do know that Klorane has a whole quinine based line (shampoo,cond ,deep cond) a quinine B6 SHAMPOO it s a strengthening poo for lifeless hair,hair loss..., baume et concentre fortifiant a la quinine
Klorane Strengthening Shampoo with Quinine, Dull, tired looking hair and hair-loss. Stimulates the activity of the hair bulb to revitalise the hair from the roots. The extract is combined with a vitamin B complex known to reinforce the structure and stimulate hair growth. Klorane strengthening shampoo with quinine has a revitalising and stimulating action.
i guess the quinine oil strengthen the hair and act a stimulant

Last edited:

Amarech

OK here is the secret---and guesswhat? Its something we here at LHCF already promote!

There are a lot of Hatians where I live and my brother's fiancee is Hatian. I've seen her and other Hatians ladies hair grow long in the past two years I've been here. One girl has hair that is waist length. I can tell you what I've seen. They all put their hair up. they don't wear it out. My one friend wore a hat and braids for a year. But when that stuff is permed and done, its long, thick, healthy and shiny. That's it. Just like a lot of other "stuff" promoted here at LHCF, there is no quick fix or prodcut that will give you long hair. I think it is more culturally acceptable to sacrifice style for the sake of longer hair (with Haitans). It is something I am going to try summer 06.

ekomba

Taij said:
OK here is the secret---and guesswhat? Its something we here at LHCF already promote!

There are a lot of Hatians where I live and my brother's fiancee is Hatian. I've seen her and other Hatians ladies hair grow long in the past two years I've been here. One girl has hair that is waist length. I can tell you what I've seen. They all put their hair up. they don't wear it out. My one friend wore a hat and braids for a year. But when that stuff is permed and done, its long, thick, healthy and shiny. That's it. Just like a lot of other "stuff" promoted here at LHCF, there is no quick fix or prodcut that will give you long hair. I think it is more culturally acceptable to sacrifice style for the sake of longer hair (with Haitans). It is something I am going to try summer 06.

I hear you i know that keeping my hair braided definetely helped. I will leave my hair in braids and protective styles for one year but of course i still let vits masketi and MTG help it a lil bit hehehe :grin:

Mahalialee4

Ellis said:
The reason why I say that is because I know so many Haitian girls that I grew up with in church and school and they literally had either no hair or very short hair when they were younger and now all of the sudden their hair is like shoulder length, bra strap length and even waist length. I really think they are all using something especially the ones that go to my old church. I just can't find out what the secret is. I have asked and they will say nothing. One said she and her sisters use Doo gro I don't buy it for a second. I know there a lot of good Haitian products out there like ( minoval, miss Antilles and Ketty Hair) I don't know if there are any others that are good but can someone please tell me what the secret is. Also I don't think it is hair care that is giving these girls these results. I take care of my hair well and I don't think I can get to bra strap in under a year.
Ellis!!!!Could we please have an update about what the deal was about the hair growth? I am soooooocurious and I really really wanna know>>>>lolobonjour.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I didn't know there were so many Haitian ladies on this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sac pase?

I do believe that Haitians do have hair secrets.

1. Minimal manipulation. (After my hair was braided, I was scolded if I tried to play with my pigtails.)

2. L'huile mascriti is good for everything. Hair, sore muscles, cold, flu, headache, whatever!

3. My mom washed my hair and let it air dry with Blue Magic every few days. (Do the still make that stuff?)

4. No heat! ( My mom would get her hair rollerset and brushed out. Granted it look like a helmet but it was long and healthy from root to tip)

5. Good eating. (Cornmeal, bouillion, seafood, rice, beans, chicken, fresh juice)

6. Most Haitian women I know do not let there daughters get a relaxer until 14! (I was one of those girls.)

7. She never greased my scalp!

I still cannot get over how many Haitian women are on this board :D :D :D

Candy_C

Taij said:

its true...hats and braided, twisted hair. theres strength in numbers when hair is twisted it is automatically stronger.

my jamaican cousins all have long hair, not only isit the climate, but the water in those countris is purer. they never EVER wear their hair out, always twisted and clipped up, they dont wash it often but when they do, they wash it GOOD! Daily moisture is not nessessary, only on wash day or near the next wash day, when hair is twisted the scalp oils distribute better cos if its clipped near the scalp the ends get the same amount of oil that the root does.

i tried this formula and it works, i'm not far away from waistlength, last year my hair was eaten away and broken..go figure! you may have to stop thinking about looking pretty for a while, but at the end of it, its worth it. i know this time next year i wont have to walk around with a satin scarf with a hat ontop anymore!!!

oh yeh, castor oil as a hot oil is used alot by my jamaican cousins, i think they do it before shampooing, i would love to try this but my hair is oily, but it seems like a nice winter treatment

Last edited:

ekomba

Candy_C said:
its true...hats and braided, twisted hair. theres strength in numbers when hair is twisted it is automatically stronger.

Candy_C,I can attest to that. i been noticing that every time i redo my twists once a week after cowashing my twists always seem longer that s weird i dont measure them anymore so now i notice the growth more yesterday while twisting my hair i was like damn they grew!:eek: cause i stopped paying attention to it and just following my regimen. i usually twist without a mirror while watching tv so i never see my hair but this time i sat on the bed in front of the mirror and stretch one strand and was like:eek: :D :p hihihi. i need to go back to bk to get some of that masketi/mascriti oil lol:grin: i used to mix it with my mtg before hum

Candy_C

ekomba said:
Candy_C,I can attest to that. i been noticing that every time i redo my twists once a week after cowashing my twists always seem longer that s weird i dont measure them anymore so now i notice the growth more yesterday while twisting my hair i was like damn they grew!:eek: cause i stopped paying attention to it and just following my regimen. i usually twist without a mirror while watching tv so i never see my hair but this time i sat on the bed in front of the mirror and stretch one strand and was like:eek: :D :p hihihi. i need to go back to bk to get some of that masketi/mascriti oil lol:grin: i used to mix it with my mtg before hum

twists are great aren't they! when my hair ends were damaged i used to twist my hair and every week it seemed longer, i was sad as my ends were ruined but its nice to know the simple things work!!

Kinkyhairlady

Mahalialee4 said:
Ellis!!!!Could we please have an update about what the deal was about the hair growth? I am soooooocurious and I really really wanna know>>>>lolobonjour.

Oh my goodness I forgot all about this thread. Well I never found out what the secret was. But the funny thing is that i am using Lenzi Request now and every sunday the same girls compliment me on my hair and say how it is growing really fast. They ask me what I am using but I just be like doo gro because that is the same bs they gave me when I wanted in on the secret. Sorry to be mean but hey if you can't share I can't either. I do my hair at a Haitian salon now and the owner has a whole lot of products from france that claim to make the hair grow. All the Haitian women that come in have beautiful long hair but I can't say I have seen them purchase these products but I will look further into the exact names of these products and share. One thing I know that this salon swears by and recommends to all their customers is the Dudley pca moisterizer and this for a fact I seen women purchase after doing their hair. I myself have been using it for about 3 weeks and I love it, my hair seems to just drink it up. It does not weigh the hair down or make it feel oily one bit. I noticed fewer hairs in the comb also so I will continue using it. At this point I am not even concern about the secret that the girls at my church have because all the information I have gotten from this board is the greatest secret of all.

lexi08

Ellis said:
Oh my goodness I forgot all about this thread. Well I never found out what the secret was. But the funny thing is that i am using Lenzi Request now and every sunday the same girls compliment me on my hair and say how it is growing really fast. They ask me what I am using but I just be like doo gro because that is the same bs they gave me when I wanted in on the secret. Sorry to be mean but hey if you can't share I can't either. I do my hair at a Haitian salon now and the owner has a whole lot of products from france that claim to make the hair grow. All the Haitian women that come in have beautiful long hair but I can't say I have seen them purchase these products but I will look further into the exact names of these products and share. One thing I know that this salon swears by and recommends to all their customers is the Dudley pca moisterizer and this for a fact I seen women purchase after doing their hair. I myself have been using it for about 3 weeks and I love it, my hair seems to just drink it up. It does not weigh the hair down or make it feel oily one bit. I noticed fewer hairs in the comb also so I will continue using it. At this point I am not even concern about the secret that the girls at my church have because all the information I have gotten from this board is the greatest secret of all.

Are you using the Dudley's PCA on wet or dry hair? I started to try this a few months ago, but I was afraid it would make my hair hard.