How to grow out hair in nape area?????????????????

Ayeshia

Re: How to grow out hair in nape area?????????????

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
I also wanted to say that when you get touch ups this is the area that tends to get over processed and burns off. Since its already short and breaking its really difficult to apply it to the newgrowth only. I realized this after I went natural...My nape hair was usually 2 inches in the back when I was relaxed but now it stretches to about 4 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I have found this to be true as well. I think the very bottom part of my nape was always about 2 inches long - I called them "my edges" but now I can't really distinguish my edges from the rest of my hair b/c it's grown so long since I've been transitioning. I have new pics on my hair album showing the growth in that area since last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow hairlove thats amazing
Good for you

Falon

I agree about over processing the nape area. Mine use to be snap short until I went natural. This is the first time I have ever had hair back there. I got about 5 inches now and since I started relaxing again, I leave it for last. I don't know why people assume that the nape should be relaxed first. The kinkier the hair the more fragile! So it is too easy to break off.

JenJen2721

Co-singing on the moisture...

I'm growing out my nape area from experiencing a lot of breakage there so I've starting moisturizing just a little differently.

In the past when I moisturized, I would put moisturizer in my hand, rub my hands together and rub my hands over my hair starting at the front of my head. Now I start at the back of my head so that the nape area gets the most moisturizer instead of the front.

Here's another thread that has some really good tips...
Short, bushy hair at the back..

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
I agree about over processing the nape area. Mine use to be snap short until I went natural. This is the first time I have ever had hair back there. I got about 5 inches now and since I started relaxing again, I leave it for last. I don't know why people assume that the nape should be relaxed first. The kinkier the hair the more fragile! So it is too easy to break off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah stylists dont care because they think..."oh its just the back part of her head/neck no one will see it" so they go ahead and overprocess it since its not "visible" if you always wear your hair down

But sometimes you have no choice but to overprocess if there is only a half an inch of hair back there

Nyambura

surfer girl

The only thing I can add to the great advice already given in this thread is to stay away from turtlenecks [although some places may already be well into early summer season]. I also like to put conditioner and vaseline on my nape before touchup time.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Thank you Hairlove for sharing your new pictures of your nape area. Your nape is growing beautifully! Love those curls!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Isis.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
I also like to put conditioner and vaseline on my nape before touchup time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!
All of my ends, actually.

Nyambura

surfer girl

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
[ QUOTE ]
I also like to put conditioner and vaseline on my nape before touchup time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!
All of my ends, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Co-singing on the moisture...

I'm growing out my nape area from experiencing a lot of breakage there so I've starting moisturizing just a little differently.

In the past when I moisturized, I would put moisturizer in my hand, rub my hands together and rub my hands over my hair starting at the front of my head. Now I start at the back of my head so that the nape area gets the most moisturizer instead of the front.

Here's another thread that has some really good tips...
Short, bushy hair at the back..

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the thread JenJen2721! I never saw that one before and it certainly does have great tips!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I'm working on this right now after realizing how I tied my satin scarves was breaking this section off all of the time. Growing it out may mean a bushy nape for a while too, but it can be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wear a satin scarf at night, how should u tie it so it won't break off the nape area???

Poohbear

When moisturizing the nape area, do u moisturize the ends, the roots, or the whole hair shaft????

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I have this same problem. I use surge spray and the growth and healing cream (i think that's the name) by protectiv for thinning areas. I also use castor oil on this area when I air dry. Its coming in nice and thick.

My hair stylist says that when I wrap my hair to be sure to alternate wrapping to the left and to the right so that the nape area doesn't thin out.

Poohbear

Many on this forum have suggested not to even wrap my hair because it is fine/thin. I haven't wrapped my hair for a while. So I've been sometimes putting about 6-8 rollers in my hair at night. Its worked out great!

To help my nape area, Im going to start moisturizing it more with my hair lotion, spraying it more with my Surge Plus 14, and when its time for a relaxer, Im not going to relax my nape area.

Thanks for the tips everyone!!!

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
Is it possible to grow out the nape area to long enough lengths to put like in a ponytail with the rest of your hair? I don't like bushy nape, so I either want it to be long enough to blend with the rest of my hair or keep it trimmed. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's possible. I "accidentally" grew out my nape area several years ago when I was doing daily hair washings for the summer. I did the washings (not conditioner washes) not knowing how much my hair needed all that moisture, not knowing anything - I just wanted to do it. I was also blowdrying and using hot curling irons and hotcombs daily. Anyway, my nape hairs grew as long as Silvergirl's, about 8 inches, which really looks long growing out of that area. I stopped the daily washings to about once every 7 days or so and continued using the same heating appliances. All of that nape section was fried off in no time.
So what I'm saying is what some of the ladies here are saying, that area needs a LOT of moisture and TLC and it can really thrive. I'm working on this right now after realizing how I tied my satin scarves was breaking this section off all of the time. Growing it out may mean a bushy nape for a while too, but it can be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I can relate to what you said. When I was growing up my mother used to wash my hair all the time with no conditioner. Every now and then she would use a creme rinse and my hair was tail bone length. But getting back on track. I used surge and the wooje cream on my nape area and it is filling in nicely. Definately keep your nape area moisturized as much as possible. You can get glycerin from Wal-Mart.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
Is it possible to grow out the nape area to long enough lengths to put like in a ponytail with the rest of your hair? I don't like bushy nape, so I either want it to be long enough to blend with the rest of my hair or keep it trimmed. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's possible. I "accidentally" grew out my nape area several years ago when I was doing daily hair washings for the summer. I did the washings (not conditioner washes) not knowing how much my hair needed all that moisture, not knowing anything - I just wanted to do it. I was also blowdrying and using hot curling irons and hotcombs daily. Anyway, my nape hairs grew as long as Silvergirl's, about 8 inches, which really looks long growing out of that area. I stopped the daily washings to about once every 7 days or so and continued using the same heating appliances. All of that nape section was fried off in no time.
So what I'm saying is what some of the ladies here are saying, that area needs a LOT of moisture and TLC and it can really thrive. I'm working on this right now after realizing how I tied my satin scarves was breaking this section off all of the time. Growing it out may mean a bushy nape for a while too, but it can be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I can relate to what you said. When I was growing up my mother used to wash my hair all the time with no conditioner. Every now and then she would use a creme rinse and my hair was tail bone length. But getting back on track. I used surge and the wooje cream on my nape area and it is filling in nicely. Definately keep your nape area moisturized as much as possible. You can get glycerin from Wal-Mart.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you guys did washes, did u use shampoo too or do u just rinse with water? What else do u use when u wash?

When I was younger, my mom did my hair and hardly ever put conditioner in my hair either.

miss_brown

So maybe I won't give up on my nape
Right now it's about 3 inches, but this thread has given me hope.

This is a great thread, PB
Definitely going into my favorites.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
My mother would just use clairol shampoo and no conditioner. I can't remember the name of the creme rinse.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
My mother would just use clairol shampoo and no conditioner. I can't remember the name of the creme rinse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lthomas1, how often did your mom shampoo and creme rinse your hair???

tasha

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Tasha, Where can I find glycerin...and what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a moisturizer that is found in most hair and body products. You can find it at your local CVS or Rite Aide. I got mine for about 3.00

spanishteardrops

Always follow your heart
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Tasha, Where can I find glycerin...and what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

glycerin is an ingredient in most moisturizers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glycerin is also the main indregent of the profectives oil sheen

Haleni

I didn't use any products to encourage growth, but I noticed a lot of growth, once I stop wearing certain types of jewelry. I was wearing a herringbone necklace, that was breaking it off. I didn't notice it until I started trimming the nape to stop the split ends.