How To Care for Hair While Pregnant?

InNeedofHairapy

It's a whole new world for me. Can't eat cold cuts, can't take medicine without permission...gotta hold off on the relaxers till after the baby..

What products are safe/not safe while pregnant?

What did you do to stay 'fly' while pregnant. I was 5 months post when I found out, and have to basically stay in a transition phase for the next 7 months.

I don't want to be 'that' pregnant woman that goes out the house looking like 'who-dun-it-and-why'

I want to be cute, darnit! :mad:

So far, I'm doing alright, but my hair is giving me some frustration.

InNeedofHairapy

oh yeah

did your regimen change? If your pregnant now, what is your regimen? Did you have any hair issues as a result of hormones? what prodcuts do you use? Are WGO, BT, and the like off limits while pregnant?

imstush

When I was pregnant I was actually transitioning before I found out, so I wore my hair in double strands. There were days I didn't feel like doing my own twists...and my mom thought it would be too much to get rollerset (she felt like I would have to stretch while sitting in the chair etc.) so it was either that or just put my hair in a bun. I didn't stop using my regular hair products, and the only real change was just washing my hair in the shower.

PinkSkates

When I got pregnant with my son back in 1998 I had a relaxer at the time. Hair boards were not around and I did'nt know how to deal with transitioning hair; so I got a full sew-in weave during my pregnancy. I don't know if you wear weaves, but it really grew my natual hair out and I never went back to a relaxer after having my baby. Good Luck!

KiniKakes

OT: I thought it was okay (although not necessasrily recommended) to get a relaxer after the first trimester?

I dont wanna be au naturel while preggers. :(

MissScarlett

i hear relaxing and dying are OK while pregnant, after the 1st trimester. i think the problem with dyring was alot of lead in dye years ago...i haven't had a perm in awhile so i can't remember.

the only hair style i had while pregnant was a ponytail, towards the end i got tired and started wash n gos but i have my babies in late summer too:confused: I tried to play up my face/makeup as much as i could while pregnant. I hated going to the drs. office seeing folks looking all 'toe up and tired. the main thing i did though was continue to dress trendy and stylish, i rocked maternity jeans with heels:lol:

ayoung

KiniKakes said:
OT: I thought it was okay (although not necessasrily recommended) to get a relaxer after the first trimester?

I dont wanna be au naturel while preggers. :(

This is what i thought as well.

Stay away from items that may cause uterin contractions like Rosemary EO

Hair Peace

I continued with my regimen both b4 and after I found out I was preggers. I relaxed once a trimester (every 3 mos.), sat under the dryer for deep cons and rollersets, and my little girl is just fine. The post partum shedding is what's kicking my tail now! I think the only thing I changed was limiting myself to just the prenatal vits.

Namilani

I dyed and relaxed in the first trimester and Natalia came out perfect! I just couldn't use glossing spray b/c it made me queasy...

Sha76

You can rlax your hair, but beware your skin and hair may not react th way they normally do.

I relaxed my hair while preggers with my DD, but I also got nasty chemical burns because my skin because ultra sensitive to the chemical. Normallly, I don't burn at all.

Same thing is happening in this pregnancy. So I am pushing for every 4 months.

OH yeah by the way, Congratualtions!

CAPlush

I'm right there with you gurly. The fish rule is killing me!

My husband asked me to wear my hair down this weekend for mother's day, my pulled back twist is looking odd these days no matter how tight I tie it down. I am 10 weeks post, and the thought of flat-ironing my hair just exhausts me. I want to stretch until I am well into the second trimester, which will be another 8 weeks or so. Then I will "texlax" and stretch until after the baby comes. I think I am going to plan on pressing my hair with my flat iron myself 1x every 3 weeks or so throughout the pregnancy so I don't look a HAM. I would love to get braids but I don't trust anyone to do them.

MuslimahTresses

I'm so happy you thought of this topic. I forgot all about the no relaxer thing. I wore braids in my first pregnancy. for this one I was planning on relaxing pretty soon but I guess I could wait a little while longer. But I do find it harder to keep up the normal regimen. I still use all my products I just know to stay away from rosemary essential oil like the other poster said.

InNeedofHairapy

Thanks, ladies for the advice. Despite the wonderful advice about relaxers, I still think I'm going to hold off on the relaxers until after the baby..but then again, I'll have not had a relaxer in a year by then, so I might see about being natural again.

I'll remember to stay away from the Rosemary EO..but what about sulfur and the things found in WGO or BT?

I might give braids, twists a go, and keep rocking the ponytail and falls. I'll press my hair for special occasions like my birthday, friend's wedding, etc;

To the poster that said to play up the face and clothes..good idea. That's what I've been doing, and it makes such a difference when I feel a little funky b/c of nausea, fatigue, etc;

Thanks, ladies!