for pregnant ladies... or those planning to get pregnant

pinkchocolatedaisy

I brought it up before, suggesting the topic and a couple of you said to go for it. So here goes! I hope this is ok.

here it is

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? If you’re not pregnant, when do you plan to get pregnant?
What is your hair type and length?
Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed?
What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? What growth aids do you use?
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy?

I am planning to get pregnant this August. I believe I’m a 4a/4b. My current length is not even SL… I guess neck length, a little longer. I’m transitioning from relaxed to natural- 16 wks post.
I wash every day or every other day. I use Ovation Cell Therapy, the entire system. I rarely blow dry or flat iron. Usually I just wear a wig, covering my hair with a silk scarf that I cut to fit perfectly under my wig. I use ORS hair mayo for DC and Joico K-Pak for quickie treatment. I have tons of conditioners, Organix shea butter, HE Hello Hydration, Aussie Deep 3 min miracle, Joico Moisture recovery, Silk Elements Megasilk moisturizing treatment. I use HE LTR for daily moisture or Elasta QP mango butter. I use lots of oils, coconut, avocado, castor, rosemary, lavender, peppermint, sweet almond, and jojoba and tea tree oil. My growth aid besides the OCT I guess is BT. I take 3500 mcg biotin daily, Super B complex, iron, folic acid, 1000mg MSM, 500 l-cyseine (sp??).

So I know I’m going to have to give up a lot of the oils- peppermint, rosemary, lavender, and maybe the tea tree oil. Most likely all my vitamins I’m taking except for the folic acid and iron. I hope I can still use my BT. Now, a lot of times, hair can do some crazy things while pregnant. But one of the best things that happens, at least in my experience, is that it goes through a major growth spurt. So I’m hoping with all the proactive things I’m doing that I will reap even more benefits. I just wanted to start a thread for all of us pregnant and planning to get pregnant ladies so we can share tips, tricks and any changes we experience with our hair as well as the wonders we will experience as expectant mothers!

Mrs. Verde

Are you pregnant right now? We started trying in April.
What is your hair type and length? 3c and APL
Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? natural
What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? Folic Acid, Omega 3, Flax Seed
What growth aids do you use? No
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I don't expect to change anything. I use a lot of natural products now (e.g. henna, various butters, and oils). I don't have a consistent product regiment. However, I cowash 4-5xs per week. I DC 2-3xs per week.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? If you’re not pregnant, when do you plan to get pregnant? I'm hoping to be pregnant as soon as possible.
What is your hair type and length? 4b, a little above shoulder length
What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? What growth aids do you use?
I use mostly homemade products... the only essential oils I use are TTO and rosemary, I wash my hair every other week, my supplements are a multivitamin, B-complex, and probiotics, and the only growth aid I use it Mega-Tek.
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I'll drop the rosemary oil. Otherwise - I'll keep doing things as I have been. If my hair goes uber oily or my scalp starts tripping, I might have to wash more often.... otherwise, I don't plan on changing at all! :)

enscott14

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? If you’re not pregnant, when do you plan to get pregnant? I am currently 38 1/2 weeks pregnant (due next Friday).
What is your hair type and length? 3c and past the shoulders but not right above armpit.
I co-wash at least twice a week, should be more but been too busy and too tired. I use Giovanni Direct, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Amla Oil, Stay Free Curl Activator for moisture and when baggying, Salerm 21, Silicon Mix. I only use heat on the hair once a month and WOW what a difference that makes! I currently take pre-natal vitamins along with DHA which is excellent for the baby's brain development. I used to use a lot more vitamins and supplements however that has to stop immediately upon being pregnant. The only vitamins that should be used are pre-natals and DHA.
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I used to use Exotic Allure Fast Grow Hair Vitamins (which are THE BEST, by the way), Flax Oil, Liquid Chlorophyll, Amino Acids, and Panthotenic Acid for overall health and great skin and hair. However, I had to eliminate all of the above for the safety of my little one. The only thing you will need is the pre-natal vitamins and some DHA and of course plenty of water, light excercise, and a well balanced and healthy diet and you will still maintain great looking and healthy hair and skin AND your baby will reap the benefits. Good luck! :eek:

Nicole4rc

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? Yes- 16 weeks or 4 months!
What is your hair type and length? about 4b, shoulder length
Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? currently stretching relaxer
What is your regimen: Simplicity- now that its summer and I'm in water aerobics classes I DC 3x a week, roller set and blow dry my roots
Products you use: Henna, Elasta QP DPR-11, Elasta Mango Butter, Coconut Oil, Neutrogena Moisturizer, and whatever is in the supply closet
what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? Pre-nate Elite vitamins, I eat as much fish as allowed, drink milk, and a lot of water. Staying away from too much sugar and salt
What growth aids do you use? None- I do bun my hair everyday and that's my biggest success
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I stopped my 6-8 week relaxers, I didn't anticipate having very dry hair so I use a lot of MOISTURE

Lynnerie

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? Yes, 7 weeks
What is your hair type and length? 4A, shoulder length
Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? Natural
What is your regimen: I usually wash n go everyday but I'm tired so I put in some individual braids using my hair and I'm just going to leave these in until I need a change.
Products you use: I use KBB hair milk, coconut oil or olive oil cheapie conditioner when I co-wash and eco-styler gel
what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? Prenatals and carlson fish oil for DHA, I try to limit sugar and salt even tho I crave salty foods. Drink lots of water, milk, and OJ.
What growth aids do you use? None
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I have hand in hair disease and now I'm just trying to have a low-manipulation regimen.

LadyPaniolo

Yep, I'm pregnant right now. Almost 7 months along.

I'm 4a, texlaxed transitioning back to natural. [eta: length... MBL?]

My reg is pretty simple: hardcore protective styling with wigs mostly, though I'm trying to branch out into wearing my own hair out in buns or other updos. I rarely use shampoo, and I'm trying to DC 1x week this year.

Products: aloe vera gel, coconut oil, jojoba oil, henna and indigo, Kenra MC, Infusium 23 leave in...

Vitamins: prenatal, gelatin, biotin, b-complex

Growth aids: none, I don't think they work

Changes in my reg due to pregnancy: none. I have been pregnant or nursing for like 5 years now, lol. I pretty much stick to stuff that won't be unhealthy for me or my babies.

beans4reezy

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you?
Yes, I am 17 weeks pregnant.
Currently APL 4B
Relaxed - BUT, three textured at the moment. Natural, texturized hair, and Relaxed Bone straight hair. I am going from bone straight to texturized and am current 44 weeks post touch up.
I cowash once a week/DC once a week (Cowash with WEN and DC with Silicon Mix mixed in with a touch of Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor). When I have a chance during the week, I DC on dry hair with ORS Replenishing Mask. I moisturize and seal every night with QG Alma, Hairveda Whipped Ends, or Profective Growth lotion + JBCO or Hairveda Cocasta Shikaki Oil. No growth aids. I stopped taking all vitamins except prenatal's when I found out I was expecting. But I used to take GNC Hair Skin and Nails and Biotin
What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy?
No more essential oils. I am also going to keep my hair braided with synthetic hair for most of my pregnancy. Usually, it's in a bun or I do a braid out, but I am dealing with enough being pregnant, I don't want to bother with my hair at all.

LifeCoach

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? If you’re not pregnant, when do you plan to get pregnant? 30 weeks (almost 7 months)

What is your hair type and length? between shoulder and APL ...not sure about texture,...maybe 4b

Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? RELAXED ... 30 weeks post

What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. oils - jojoba, coconut, castor, peppermint oil

what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume?
prenatal vitamin with fish oil

What growth aids do you use? None, I was using BT but since my pregnancy I have developed an allergy to sulphur so I will store it away for after I give birth

What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? i dont relaxt for the whole pregnancy and keep my hair in braids, weave to avoid playing in it

Last edited:

orchidgirl

My DD is 8 Months and we started trying again...Personally it took my 7 years to get pregnant so I am not giving everything up until I get pregnant again..I am only taking pre-natal vitamins and my calcium and vitamins D. As for oils right now I am using peppermint.

I am still breastfeeding also(weening off)... . My Hair is 3c and it is Hip length (not full). I lost a lot of hair while pregnant cause I did NOTHING to it...This time around it will be different, I learned you can still take care of your self and be pregnant at the same time..I even stop using conditioner....lol :nono:(crazy) Now I am having post shedding...:wallbash:

DarkHair

Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? If you’re not pregnant, when do you plan to get pregnant?
- Plan to be ASAP

-4b, SL

- texlaxed

- I wash once weekly, alternate weeks with heat. I take a women's multivitamin. I use BT as a growth aid

- I currently have a sew-in and when I am pregnant I hope to maintain that.

Mz.MoMo5235

- possibly this time next yr i will be

-3b mbl

- natural

- co-wash 1-2x per wk, poo wash 1x per month, dc after each wash. moisture/protein spritz, rinse out cond as leave in, evoo to seal. air dry or diffuser when short on time. i take a daily multi-vit, iron, and hsn vit when i feel like it lol

- i thought the only thing i had to change was to start taking prenatal pills... am i wrong?

Mz_Zartavia

- The Hubster wants to TTC#2 when he returns from deployment in a few months. It took us almost 3 years to get the first one. Had to use Clomid and Metformin. She's 20 months now so we aren't going to waste too much more time.

- 3c, bra strap length

- Always have been and always will be a natural

-
Hair One Shampoo
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner (LOVE this) [co-wash]
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (LOVE this too)
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner [co-wash]
VO5 Moisturizing Conditioner [co-wash]
Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Conditioning Mayonnaise (my deep conditioner and it's awesome!)
CHI Keratin Mist
Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Shince Water-Based Shine Wax
Coconut Oil
Natural 7 Oil
Vitamin E (from time to time)

Saturday: Part my hair down the middle so I have two sections. Wash with Hair One. When rinsing out the shampoo, still in sectinos, I detangle with either a wide tooth comb or with my Denman brush (this brush is AWESOME!). I then apply the Silk Elements and braid after applying. I like to deep condion overnight. So I typically do this process in the evening and then put a shower cap on my head followed by my satin scarf and bonnet.

Sunday: Wash out the deep conditioner. Still working in the two sections I apply the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship throughout my hair. Then I seal with either the coconut oil or the Natural 7 oil. So far, my hair has been loving the coconut oil. And I bought that right in the grocery store. I braid it back up and put my scarf back on my head. Unless I'm going somewhere, then I put it in a bun style.

Wednesday: This is typically the day that I "co-wash". Which just means I'm cleansing/washing my hair with just conditioner. I follow all the steps I would on Saturday's wash day but without the shampoo. And for this I use either the VO5, Suave or the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. I also spray in the CHI Keratin Mist to add just a tad bit of protein.

Nightly: I moisturize with either one of the co-wash conditioners (I just use a nickel size amount) or the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and seal with an oil. Place my scarf and bonnet on and call it a night.

Morning: Depending on how my hair feels, I may just go ahead and style it. I'm in a bun challenge right now, so I keep my hair in a bun 5 days a week and I've been experimenting with lots of different bun styles. I never knew there were so many until I joined this challenge! If it feels a bit dry, I will use a moisturizer spritz I made, apply the long term relationship, seal with an oil and then style. The spritz is just water and some regular conditioner with a tad bit of oil in it.

- I only comb/detangle on wash days.
- On workout days, depending on how hard I worked out, I may just blot my scalp or if it was an intense workout and I really had some sweat going, I'll co-wash once I got home.
- The CHI Keratin Mist gets used during the week if I have to co-wash more than 2 times. It's a leave-in strengthening treatment. Adds a very very small amount of protein to the hair. Balances the whole protein/moisture thing.

But that's pretty much it. Nothing fancy. I think I like the simple regimen epscially since I have the little. It makes things much easier. I fell off my journey after having her because I just couldn't figure out how to make time for myself. But now that I am getting the hang of this motherhood stuff, I'm able to pick up, semi where I left off at.

- When I was preggo with my daughter I continued an old regimen. When I was admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks due to pre-term labor, my regimen went out the door. I don't even remember what I was doing hair wise in there. But after I had her, it was a simple throw my hair in a bun, wash and condition here and there kind of routine. First child, I ltotally didn't spend too much time on me. With this next pregnancy, I'll be more knowledgeable in the parenting aspect and continue my routine. UNLESS, my hair needs change. Other than that, the above it working and I'm happy.

nnmiles

My DD is 8 Months and we started trying again...Personally it took my 7 years to get pregnant so I am not giving everything up until I get pregnant again..I am only taking pre-natal vitamins and my calcium and vitamins D. As for oils right now I am using peppermint.

I am still breastfeeding also(weening off)... . My Hair is 3c and it is Hip length (not full). I lost a lot of hair while pregnant cause I did NOTHING to it...This time around it will be different, I learned you can still take care of your self and be pregnant at the same time..I even stop using conditioner....lol :nono:(crazy) Now I am having post shedding...:wallbash:

Just had my baby two weeks ago. I just wanted to say that even if you did take care of your hair during your pregnancy, you will still have the post shedding. I really took care of my hair during my pregnancy and it grew so much! But this was my second pregnancy and the same thing happened with my first. My hair grew really long and then a few weeks later after birth, the awful shedding process began. So I am really not looking forward to that whole ordeal.

danysedai

TTC, I should get my period nex Thursday so I'm really stressed out about it, even had a dream this morning about it.

What is your hair type and length? 4a/b. Below shoulders,not APL yet.

Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed?relaxed with Affirm mild.

What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc.
I wash and rollerset once a week, dye my hair usually with Bigen once a month as I have LOTS of gray hair. I mostly use Alfaparf Rigen shampoo,conditioner and treatment, the Kerastase oleo-relax and resistance shampoo and conditioner products and Silicon Mix, Mizani thermasmooth when I'm stretching and want to wear it straight. Coconut oil throughout hair and ends and Fantasia gel on the edges mixed with coconut and castor oil and a soft brush +scarf when I bun (sock bun).

what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? What growth aids do you use? I'm taking prenatal vitamins but I have to say that I haven't been consistent with them (hangs head in shame,goes to bathroom and takes a vit). I was using Alter Ego cren drops for my edges and nape but again, not consistent with it.

What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I'm worried about relaxing and dyeing my hair if I get pregnant. My mother says she never stopped relaxing but I'm worried about it just the same. Thought of going natural and big chop but DH said he does not like short hair on me (hurt but at least he was honest). Thinking about henna and indigo to cover grays when I get pregnant.
I also HATE milk but I'm incorporating more in my diet, having banana or strawberry milkshakes in the morning that I make on my magic bullet and I finally found a brand of yogurt that I like.
I am working out more as I am overweight and I plan to walk during pregnancy.

Last edited:

pinkchocolatedaisy

nnmiles, IA with you about the shedding. I shed SO much with my last baby I thought I was going bald! I'm just barely recovering from it. I didn't start shedding until about 2 mos after I'd given birth and my bald spots began filling in about 2 1/2 mos ago I would say. So now I have to smooth my edges down if I'm wearing a bun or puff b/c they are so short along my hairline- mostly in the front as far as I can tell.

When I was pregnant or I guess before I got pregnant I wondered about the vitamins I was taking. So I dropped my biotin but I toook a prental that had a small amount. I took iron as prescribed by my midwife b/c I'm always low iron/borderline anemic. And I took an omega 3-6-9 supplement with her ok as well. My hair flourished during pregnancy. I was so crushed about the PP shedding but my hair was still pretty healthy postpartum.

crr0121

I'm 30 weeks preggo rt now

3c/4a, collar bone

natural

Wash once or twice a week cuz its cold now, cowash more during spring and summer. Only vitamin now is prenatal. no growth aids

i had to change my "health trip." during the summer i was detoxing w/ internal bentonite and taking like 20 vitamins and using mn and sulfur and all types of hair growth aids. but i stopped all that soon as i found out i was preggo cuz i didn't wanna chance anything.

humblebyHIM

PS:BSL 2016

We are planning to get pregnant as soon as we return from our deployment.:woot::dinner:

4b/NL

relaxed and natural. I have been cornrowing my hair since Oct 2009. So I have a lot of NG. :pullhair:

My current regimen is pretty simple.:scratchch I cowash 2x a week with Garnier con, DC 2x a week with Alter Ego, Once a month with Joico K-pak DPR, Clarify once a month with Mizani intense cleansing shampoo followed by the Mizani moistuzing shampoo and con, Alternate with Oct and MT (both straight-no chaser :lachen:) nightly on my scalp, moisture and seal 2x daily with WN and JBCO

Multi vitamin, 5000mg biotin, 1000 mg MSM, 500 mg Vit C, 500mg Vit E and 1000mg Vit B12

I drink about 2 liters of water a day with crystal light packets

I think the only thing I will change is taking all the vitamins. I will only take prenatal and DHA pills during my pregnancy.:cloud9:

Last edited:

beans4reezy

This is my second pregnancy, but I didn't experience any post partum shedding with the arrival of my son. I am hoping it is the same for my second as well. The thought of post partum shedding scares me silly. I don't want to put in all of this hard work just to lose progress.

butterfly_wings

Can someone please clarify for the if it is ok to relax your hair during pregnancy as I have heard lots of diffrent answers

For future refrence, thanks

Ladybelle

Are you pregnant right now? :yep:

If so, how far along are you? almost 25 weeks

What is your hair type and length? 4b/c collar bone

Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? relaxed, stretching throughout this pregnancy - which hasn't been half as bad as I thought it would be. I relaxed about two weeks before I found out I was preggo and won't relax until about 1-2 months postpartum.

What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. When I'm in braids I use the crown & glory method, when I'm not in braids - I dc/wash weekly. I rotate between rollersetting & blowouts every other week. My staple products are ORS conditioner, aphoghee protein treatments, jojoba oil & coconut oil. Could not stretch without my coconut oil.

what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? What growth aids do you use? All I take is prenatal vitamins, my hair is growing quite nicely on it's own with the pregnancy. I guess the red raspberry leaf & nettle teas could count as supplements. In addition to their pregnancy benefits, they are touted to counter postpartum pregnancy shedding- so, I'll continue drinking them postpartum.

What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? I gave up the relaxer. I know and have heard it's okay to relax during pregnancy, I'd just rather play it extra safe & wait.

I also put my weight loss on hold amongst giving up the caffeine, alcohol and other typical preggo stuff.

butterfly3582

- Plan to be late summer or early fall of this year.

-4b, almost APL

- relaxed

- I wash & dc weekly, protein or as needed moisturize often.
- I try to us natural products so mostly giovanni, aubrey organics, yes to carrots, aloe vera juice, coconut oil, afroveda. For protetin treatments apoghee two minute or nexxus emergencee.

- I currently wear sew ins and stretch relaxers 4 - 6 months. Plan to do the same thing but try to stretch the entire pregancy.

GaiasDaughter24

Can someone please clarify for the if it is ok to relax your hair during pregnancy as I have heard lots of diffrent answers

For future refrence, thanks

From what I've learned it's ok to relax while prgnant. The chmicals that are used now aren't as harmful while pregnant as opposed to long ago since it doesn't penetrate the scalp. I relaxed my entire pregnancy with my DD. This time I'm obviously not since I'm natural now. It's a personal choice in the end. Goodluck.

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
Are you pregnant right now? If so, how far along are you? YES, I'm 39 weeks. So I'm due any time now.

What is your hair type and length? My hair is relaxed and mid-back length

Are you relaxed, natural or texlaxed? Relaxed

What is your regimen: products you use, how often do you wash, etc. what vitamins, supplements, if any do you consume? What growth aids do you use? - I have a bunch of different products I use, but I always deep condition with every wash and I hardly ever use heat, if I do it's a roller-set. I wash at least once a week and sometimes co-wash a few times a week. I'm taking a standard prenatal vitamin. I'm not using any growth aids at the moment.

What did you change or anticipate will have to change because of your pregnancy? At first I was getting regular roller-sets but the heat of the dryer was intolerable, so I just started air drying and wearing buns mostly. Now towards the end, I'm doing styles that are curly like two strand twists because I know I will be sweating like crazy during labor.