How often you trim your ends? 6 to 8 ? Twice a year?

Lilmama1011

Some say regular trims help retain length and some say not getting them help them retain length. But some say that while only trimming once or twice a year had their ends very thin straggly and they had to cut it which set them back and had they been getting regular trims they would of retained more length. I have been trimming my hair regularly and do see a big difference in hair length and think I need to trim less to see a difference, I am not a slow grower but it seems as fast as my hair grow it's time for a trim. Any solutions? I use to trim ever 6 to 8 weeks

LexaKing

I find I retain more length and lose less hair when I trim. I don't trim 6-8 weeks tho. If you hair grows an average of .5 a month then you would grow 2 inches in 4 months. Every 4 months I get 1/2 of an inch trimmed so I still gain 1-1/2 an inch. I learned this the hard way thinking I would have more length if I didn't trim... I went 6 months last time and had to cut an inch. I want healthy looking hair, not just long hair. Plus the more you take care of your ends the less trimming you need in the long run. Hope this helps :)

P.S. My hair didn't hang right when my ends were thin and straggly. Here is a comparison. 1st pic has reg trims. 2nd pic I avoided scissors.

Attachments

• image-1174067440.jpg
    image-1174067440.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3865941278.jpg
    image-3865941278.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 70

LexaKing

Lilmama1011 said:
It did help me thanks, I will follow you regimen and I see the difference thanks a lot

Your welcome! Just remember to M&S every night! You may be able to stretch long the 4 months. Keep your ends hidden too. Good luck!

Lilmama1011

LexaKing said:
Your welcome! Just remember to M&S every night! You may be able to stretch long the 4 months. Keep your ends hidden too. Good luck!

And I do m&s twice every day :) I can't stand dry hair or dry looking hair it's my pet peeve

Theresamonet

I trim during the Winter and Summer Solstices, and the Fall and Spring Equinoxes. So that is every three months.

Kurlee

I started doing it every 3-4 months and my hair seems stagnant. I'm going back to every 6.

StarScream35

I would do a trim every 3 to 4 months when I had my old stylist and this helped me retain length. I then moved out of state and stopped going to African American stylists because many are stuck with that old you must trim with every relaxer mindset. Really what it boils down to is NOT frequency but YOUR hair. All hair is different. I've heard of people who haven't had their hair trimmed in 3 to 4 years and their hair looks pretty decent. Stop listening to ignorant stylists and learn your hair and what it needs and doesn't need.

MystiqueBabe

Every 8-12 weeks. I realized I cannot trim on an as needed basis because then you are just waiting for damage to be done and end up cutting more than preventing damage in the first place. I went a whole year without trimming and hardly retained any length...never again!

LexaKing

I agree! Trims are necessary! Never again will I miss my trim, even if it's only .50 an inch. Not trimming and Having splits ruins your length.

FoxxyLocs

I dust every 8-12 weeks. I've never gone longer than that, so I don't know what my retention would be like without regular trims. I've only had to do real trims after my loc takedown, before that dusting every few months was good enough.

Allandra

For me, it depends on how often my ends need to be trimmed. My last trim was June 2010. I've had dustings in 2011, but no trims. My ends have been happy. :)

Some say regular trims help retain length and some say not getting them help them retain length. But some say that while only trimming once or twice a year had their ends very thin straggly and they had to cut it which set them back and had they been getting regular trims they would of retained more length. I have been trimming my hair regularly and do see a big difference in hair length and think I need to trim less to see a difference, I am not a slow grower but it seems as fast as my hair grow it's time for a trim. Any solutions? I use to trim ever 6 to 8 weeks

keepithealthy

I usually trim every 3 months. It's been working good so far. I'm thinking of pushing it up to every 4 to 5 months to see if I retain more.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I trim my hair about every 5 months - so about twice a year. I don't see a need to do it more often then that since I trim splits and knots as I see them when braiding.

kandake

I've been natural for little over a year. I'm on a every six months schedule. If I decide to blow-out or straighten my hair more often I'll start to trim more often.

Ann0804

In the past, I trimmed every 4-6 weeks since I was gradually cutting off my relaxed hair. Now that I have stopped using heat on my hair, I have not trimmed in about two months. I don't plan on trimming my hair until summer unless it starts to look like I need a trim. My plan is to trim twice a year- Summer/Winter unless I start to use heat frequently.

chocolate01

I usually trim about every 3 months when I go to the salon. I like clean blunt ends and I've always been able to grow my hair despite frequent trimming.

KimPossibli

Supergirl
I'm going to be trimming for the first time since my bc tomorrow. I think after this I am going to aim for every 6 months or so.

I bought my scissors to deal with ssk though, I expect that to be an almost daily process

preciouslove0x

Ok so I'm noticing a trend. The longest heads that have posted so far do major trims less often than the shorter lengths.... hmmm

Lilmama1011

Allandra said:
For me, it depends on how often my ends need to be trimmed. My last trim was June 2010. I've had dustings in 2011, but no trims. My ends have been happy. :)

So do you focus on your ends being even or just split end free?