Anyone maintain LENGTH and THICKNESS without regular trims???

blackberry815

If you have retained both length and thickness without getting trims more often than every 6 months plz let me know...HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRIM?? and have you kept length? Do you self trim or visit the salon for trims? I would also love to know your experiences without trimming or just using the search and destroy method.. Plz share.... do you think you can retain all of your length without getting regular trims (Every 6-8 weeks)??

blackberry815

Also what about midstrand splits? how do you address those? Do you just ignore them and trim up the ones closer to the ends? How do you search and destroy?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Almost a year since my last trim, no search and detroys, no tangles, no split ends and I've retained pretty much all of my length. I do bun, don't use a flat iron or blowdrier and co wash very often.

blackberry815

Nix08 said:
Almost a year since my last trim, no search and detroys, no tangles, no split ends and I've retained pretty much all of my length. I do bun, don't use a flat iron or blowdrier and co wash very often.

Nix08 you have had ZERO split ends in a year? Omg what am I doing wrong! What is your hair type?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Honestly...I look for them...I've even purchased a pair of scissors that are collecting dust because I haven't had to use them. I'm 4b fine hair. I was off work on mat leave for a year so I wasn't subjecting my hair to the elements much...was co washing often and protecting my ends. Since I stopped with the heat tools, adopted finger combing and when I do use a comb it's a seamless one and the regular co washing I have been in a real groove....*runs to knock wood*

blackberry815

Nix08 said:
Honestly...I look for them...I've even purchased a pair of scissors that are collecting dust because I haven't had to use them. I'm 4b fine hair. I was off work on mat leave for a year so I wasn't subjecting my hair to the elements much...was co washing often and protecting my ends. Since I stopped with the heat tools, adopted finger combing and when I do use a comb it's a seamless one and the regular co washing I have been in a real groove....*runs to knock wood*

I'm hating...

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Yes I do. I use the same products when I finishing washing as I do for moisturizing and sealing on days that my hair isn't wet. BWC leave in (cream) and Gleau oil blend. (since I co wash so often I do sometimes slack (as of late) on the moisturizing and sealing).

ETA: Don't hate:lol: I have some breakage from my glasses and my scarf where I've been negligent in upping the care....I know this and still haven't done anything:look: maybe tomorrow I'll pack a little LI(leave In) and oil in my purse:ohwell:

Last edited:

SvelteVelvet

I rarely ever trim. Maybe once every year or two. Maintaining my length and thickness came from me never putting direct heat to my ends. After wash & DC I'd apply leave-in then rollerset and sit under the dryer. When it was dry I'd apply heat only to the roots to straighten NG and remove any lines from the pins. After that my hair was either wrapped or pin-curled until my next wash/DC.

Right now I'm 8 months into a transition so I've been protective styling with wigs. I wash and DC in braids.

lamaria211

@lamaria211 do you search and destroy? And also do you think u retain all of your length?

I dont search and destroy i dont cut at all and i really feel that i retain all my length because i dont have really any breakage and my hair is nice and thick all over, i feel that eventually when i start wearing my hair out i may want to trim my endds at some poijt but right now there is no need to ssks dont bother me and i really dont have that many of them i keep my hair in celies pretty much All The time i even wash and dc in them i do HOT in them and moisturize and seal in them i have no problems at all

KurlyNinja

Just trimmed my hair yesterday for the first time since July of last year. I get more SSKs than splits. But then again I dont use brushes at all. And I only use a comb when straightening my hair which is 2-3x a year. And thats for the comb chase method. Before then the last time I cut my hair was March 2011 when I BC'd. I went from full NL to APL within the last year. I just trim when I feel my hair needs it. I also use a lot of heavy creams and oils on my ends.

kinkycurlygurl

If you have retained both length and thickness without getting trims more often than every 6 months plz let me know...HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRIM?? and have you kept length? Do you self trim or visit the salon for trims? I would also love to know your experiences without trimming or just using the search and destroy method.. Plz share.... do you think you can retain all of your length without getting regular trims (Every 6-8 weeks)??

Also what about midstrand splits? how do you address those? Do you just ignore them and trim up the ones closer to the ends? How do you search and destroy?

Hi,

I don't trim. I usually do S&D once a week. I don't get many split ends and I don't remember ever having a mid strand split.

What has been key in retaining length, for me, was learning to be very, very gentle with my hair. My strands are really fine and it's easy to break them with rough handling. I got the smoothest comb I could find and centered my hair care and styling around keeping the hair as tangle free as possible.

For me, wearing protective styles 85-90% of the time, wearing a hat when it's cold, and avoiding breaking my strands when I comb and style really helps my retention.

ravenhairedcharm

I haven't trimmed since I cut my hair back in Dec of 2010. I will say I had my hair covered up for most of 2011 so I retained a significant amount of length and thickness. I also didn't use much heat until the end of last year when I blow dried my hair about twice.

Now that I am sort of wearing my hair out a little more, I think I may have to do a little trim closer to the middle or maybe even the end of this year. I'm not sure yet though. I think ultimately how often you have to trim depends gentle you are with your hair and how often it is exposed to the environment (especially the ends).

growinghealthyhair

i never trim but i wear wigs 100% of the time i havent cut my hair since my big chop in 2010

Off topic
lamaria211

Only 3 days wow!!

----

on topic:

I haven't had my ends clipped since my BC i don't think. Unless my stylist clipped and I don't think she has either. The only hair that is thin is a small part in my leave out section, where i had a BKT(never again).

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My limited opinion/view -- you have to factor many things when considering how often you/we should trim. How you comb and/or handle your hair. What combs you use. Styling products. Moisture/protein balance. Are you on top of your moisturizing/sealing game. Etc. Etc.

I went an entire year without trimming because I was in between stylists. While I maintained a good regi and gained a lot of length, I lost a good bit of it to. Out of nowhere, I started having split ends and mid-shaft splits. I protective style frequently so my ends are not really subjected to the weather all that often. However, I think my issue was a three headed monster - not using seamless combs, using a tangle teezer to detangle on several occasions and holding on to aging ends that needed a trim.

I now use seamless combs, handle my hair carefully and have kicked the tangle teezer to the curb. I will be incorporating trims several times per year going forward to ensure aging and/or unhealthy ends don't split/tear and travel up the shaft and cause additional issues.

Aireen

Totally agree with, divachyk - trimming has so many variables. When someone asks me about how trimming affects their hair, I almost don't know how to answer. Anyway, I don't use products in my hair after washing it so my hair can be drier than someone using some form of lubrication on their strands. It's also more susceptible to wear and tear yet I only trim about 1/8-1/4 an inch 3-4 times a year when I get my relaxer touch ups. I do not search and destroy but if I happen to see some random splits while combing my hair, I do eliminate them even if they happen to be midshaft. I never go without a trim but if it's not thorough, it's easy for me to notice that my hair isn't as sleek and as easy to manage especially after a relaxer because I don't expect my hair to be resistant until the end of my stretch.

Last edited:

Missigirl

I just BCed and have no plans to trim. If I trim it will be during the solstist spring, summer, winter and fall. My trims will be about 4 a year if at all.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I straighten and trim (1/8"-1/4") once a year - between Christmas and New Years. I have minimal split ends and my hair is full and thick. I use no heat and keep my hair in protective styles 100% of the time - twists or buns. I keep my hair (ends in particular) well moisturized and seal with a blend of coconut, castor and jojoba oils.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Totally agree with, @divachyk - trimming has so many variables. When someone asks me about how trimming affects their hair, I almost don't know how to answer. Anyway, I don't use products in my hair after washing it so my hair can be drier than someone using some form of lubrication on their strands. It's also more susceptible to wear and tear yet I only trim about 1/8-1/4 an inch 3-4 times a year when I get my relaxer touch ups. I do not such and destroy but if I happen to see some random splits while combing my hair, I do eliminate them even if they happen to be midshaft. I never go without a trim but if it's not thorough, it's easy for me to notice that my hair isn't as sleek and as easy to manage especially after a relaxer because I don't expect my hair to be resistant until the end of my stretch.
Aireen, ITA that my search and destroy is a casual approach. I scan my hemline and shaft while applying product and will snip if I see a split. I don't sit for hours searching for them though.

Blairx0

While this is a touch of topic-- this thread gives me a bit more confidence when thinking about my own hair. I attempt to search and destory and see nothing, I went to have my ends clipped ( all be it at haircuttery) and the women said it looked fine and cut very little. As a result I have been thinking I am missing something and neglecting my hair, but with this information I can see maybe not trimming it is not so bad.

I have been wearing a varity of wigs for well over a year and keep my hair in the worst braids you have ever seen. I guess hiding my hair, and those hideous braids, is keeping the need to trim at bay. I will be sad to see this change once I final free my hair from prison braids and my head from this wig.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Next month will be a year since my last trim. I'm wearing wigs 24/7 or loose buns. Do you wear your hair out often? If so, that could be a reason you may need to trim often if you're seeing splits a lot. JMO.

LoveLongLocks

I have not trimmed for atleast 4 months. I haven't straightened my hair, and I don't do much to it. So, it stays thick. I do not comb it very often either. I am sure that this attributes to less damage ect. I do get ssk's & will snip those if I see them, past that I will not worry about a trim until August. I want to get on an annual trim schedule. If the hair is not damaged I see no need to cut often. There will never be a head of hair with NOOOOO splits or some type of imperfection. So, I am not letting it bother me. I self trim, and plan on getting the CreaClip to ensure that I keep as much length as possible.

blackberry815

Thanks ladies you all are so helpful! Nonie thanks for posting that thread.. I see the gorgeous heads you're referring to.. you guys are so inspiring.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I only trim when I straighten. Which is super rare. I just got layers cut into my hair in December and that was the first time my hair had seen scissors since my "big chop" in May I think. I was BSL in December. I'm assuming I'm retaining all of my growth. I don't know how fast my hair grows anymore but 2 years post relaxer at BSL is decent enough for me to say I'm retaining well. Prior to that, I was transitioning so would randomly trim some relaxed ends. It was definitely less than every 6 months and I made it from above BSL to WL (which I trimmed to MBL) during my 18 month transition.

I self-trimmed during my transition using Faye's method I think. But now I'm sticking to my stylist since I have layers. My hair ONLY sees heat a couple times a year and it's always either in a bun, under a wig, or in a braidout. Staying away from heat has kept the splits and breakage away for me.

blackberry815

I have to say though, you ladies have great regimens to support the no trimming. I see there's alot of protective styling going on in here.. for the most part I enjoy wearing my hair down and out. Because I rollerset and wrap my hair weekly I don't like to moisturize and seal heavy so as not to weigh the hair down. I have fine hair so I rollerset for the added body and bounce... when I moisturize (usually once a day, sometimes twice)I usually just dab my finger into the moisturizer lightly and use that for my whole head, I try to stay away from oil because since my hair is fine it takes away from the body I have after a rollerset. I did moisturize and seal last night but that's because you guys inspired me to do it.. lol

Saying all that to say I hope that even with my current regimen I can try the no trimming thing but I'm afraid of damage.. Maybe I will try stretching out the trims to every 4 months first to see what happens.. If it looks fine I'll wait it out a little longer.. I'm sure that will still be better than my current 8-10 week trim cycle in terms of retaining length. I'm trying to get to WL but it seems that I'm stuck at MBL forever.. My hairdresser automatically trims with every relaxer. She just reaches for the scissors without warning and goes in.. Even if I say no she still does it because she feels like I'm causing damage. Also I've been doing search and destroys and she is NOT feeling it. To her it looks like damage or breakage because I go through my hair and cut ends that are split, bent or knotted even if its from the middle of the strand! She told me that it looks like I went through my hair with thinning shears and it probably does.. So she may be trying to even it up all the time.. I may need to stop doing search and destroys and just focus on only getting periodic trims to avoid that shredded look. I think I may try self relaxing every other relaxer that way I can get a trim every 20 weeks since she won't listen ...lol

Hopefully she won't try to give me a trim to makeup for the times I didn't get trimmed (She's done it before).. Maybe I need to find a new hairdresser and/or probably stick to self relaxing and just getting trims at the salon.. But apparently she's done some kind of voodoo spell on me because I can't seem to stop going to her lol (She gives the bomb relaxers, can't find anyone else who makes my hair look like silk after a relaxer)

Sorry... I wrote a book there.. thinking out loud?

Last edited: