Votes: 43 14.9%
  • To seal.

Votes: 203 70.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 43 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

So I see that a lot of people are singing the praises of castor oil. I was getting ready to use mine as a moisturizer but looking at the ingredients I see it is an oil-based (as opposed to water-based) product. So, I guess the thing to do is to use it as a sealant?

How do you use castor oil? How often? Please give as much detail as possible!

charmtreese

I use castor oil to moisturize and seal, since castor oil acts as an humectant it does a great job at keeping my hair soft. I apply it at night and then take my shower with just my silk bonnet on and no shower cap. This way my hair is taking in the moisture however it is not getting frizzy because castor oil also has a serum effect on my hair and keeps it from getting puffy. so I selected other.

Brownie518

I use castor oil as a prepoo, add it to my deep conditioners and as a sealer after moisturizing. I put it on my ends any time they look for feel a little dry. It makes my hair so smooth and soft. Excellent oil :yep:

MissLawyerLady

I use it to seal after applying moisturizer. It makes the hair super soft and it only takes a small amount. (I've noticed that castor smells like strong cooking oil to me, so I'm going to add an essential oil to make it smell better.)

RubyWoo

Does anyone add it to their scalp?

I do.

I occasionally use castor oil on my scalp and usually use it more frequently the week before my relaxer. It makes my new growth very soft. I don't like using it in my ends because it is so thick.

Longhealthyhair

I LOOOOVVVEEE CASTOR OIL

I use it in many different ways:

1) for my oil rinse...I used to use EVOO but now that I've used CO to oil rinse, I lose less hair while I comb out in the shower and the hair feels softer and stronger

2) for sealing...I also use CO when I am sealing my ends. It helps maintain the health of my ends

3) to improve deep conditioners...I add CO to my conditioners when I want to improve the slip factor.

I am so happy I found CO because it works, it's cheap, and you can use it so many different ways.:grin::grin::grin:

gabulldawg

I use in my DC and as a sealant mostly for my ends. I've heard it also works well to use it the week before a relaxer in order to soften the new growth. I think I will be trying that this time around. It's a great oil. I think it is thickening my hair slowly but surely.

DozenRoses99

I use it after I co wash on wet hair. It leaves my hair shiny and soft. It took me a while to start using it, but I'm SO GLAD I started. :grin:

nappity

I use it as a sealant after I wash and deep condition damp hair- I twist my hair and then put about 1/2 tblsp in my palm emulsify and run it from top to bottom on my hair. It really keeps my dry hair moist.

Ms. Plain Jane

I used castor oil for this first time tonight. I used it to seal my ends after I applied my leave in. It was quite sticky and reminded me of a thinner version of honey. I'll see how things turn out int he AM. Once I come from underneath this dryer I am going to bed!

Ms. Plain Jane

I LOOOOVVVEEE CASTOR OIL

I use it in many different ways:

1) for my oil rinse...I used to use EVOO but now that I've used CO to oil rinse, I lose less hair while I comb out in the shower and the hair feels softer and stronger

2) for sealing...I also use CO when I am sealing my ends. It helps maintain the health of my ends

3) to improve deep conditioners...I add CO to my conditioners when I want to improve the slip factor.

I am so happy I found CO because it works, it's cheap, and you can use it so many different ways.:grin::grin::grin:

Off topic, but your hair is so beautiful!

BioGeekChic

I love castor oil. I use it to seal my ends and slick back my edges when bunning. I add it to my conditioners for added slip when detangling. I use it as a prepoo poo sometimes and my hair is always soft after wards. I use it also on my skin mixed with a my favorite essential oil for soft skin at night.

Kawaii1

I use it to seal my ends but it makes my hair extra soft so I am smoothing it on my hair as well. I have also used a little to moisturize my skin. My skin is very sensitive to different lotions so I have to be careful.

chenai

I mix mine with my conditioner every other week. A couple of times a week I mix a little into my leave in and apply it to dry hair. I find it is not so sticky when I use it this way any and it leaves my hair really soft.

dillard

I use castor oil as a prepoo, add it to my deep conditioners and as a sealer after moisturizing. I put it on my ends any time they look for feel a little dry. It makes my hair so smooth and soft. Excellent oil :yep:

yep, same here. seems like i'm always finding a new way to use it! i added it to my UBH which would always leave my hair tangly and voila! no more tangles.

berry87

I love castor oil. I use it to seal my ends and slick back my edges when bunning. I add it to my conditioners for added slip when detangling. I use it as a prepoo poo sometimes and my hair is always soft after wards. I use it also on my skin mixed with a my favorite essential oil for soft skin at night.

Yep:grin: I also mix it with jojoba oil for a hot oil treatment before my conditoner.

meaganita

I dilute mine w/1 part Jojoba oil and apply it as a sealant. I also use it on my wet hair when I'm airdrying to help prevent my braids from locking up. When I apply it to my roots, it makes my hair lay down and behave.:yep:

miracle

I add JBCO to my deep conditioners. I find it to be too sticky to apply directly to my hair on it's own.

jewel

I just love castor oil...I can't believe I slept on this. I had bought a few bottles a year ago and used it a couple of times during that time. I was alittle discouraged because it is quite thick :ohwell:. It was just collecting dust with the rest of my pj products. I challenged myself to use up my products and that's when I rediscovered my wonderful castor oil :grin:. Maybe about two months now I have consistently been using it on my ends to seal moisture. What works for me is to have my hair wet or damp in order for it to really penetrate. I have stopped using gel temporarily on my edges and have been using castor oil instead :yep:. It really helps with the flyaways. Castor oil provides shine for my hair and protection for my ends. I'm sold!!!!

MsAngie

I am happy I found castor oil as well. It's awesome stuff. I have been using it to seal my ends. When I washed yesterday, I added it to my DC and my hair easily detangled and was incredibly soft.