How do you NOT comb your hair???

gimbap

I've been wondering about this one for awhile...

Many people view combing as a NO-NO, but how do you style your hair without some kind of comb? Doesn't finger styling take forever?? And does finger styling really acheive the same results as a comb?

lovely008

wow, i was going to make a post about this exact same thing later today! I'm really curious too because i'm trying to cut down on my combing, bump!

pmichael52172

I do NOT comb my hair from root to tip. I start from the ends in case there are tangles and comb down each time starting further up the shaft.

I do NOT comb my hair with a fine toothed comb but only a wide tooth. I use a fine toothed when I'm spot combing.

Celebrity stylist Neeko warns against finger combing hair saying that it can cause just as much breakage. I do finger comb but only to touch up when I don't have a comb with me. By the way, my hair is shoulder-length.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I might brush my hair in the front sometimes if I'm wearing a pony tail or a bun, but otherwise I detangle my hair with my fingers and that's all.

I think it's fairly easy if you have natural hair, because it's curly and frizzy anyway.

I only detangle once a week. The only "styling" I do in the morning is to put my hair into a bun or a pony tail. :)

My hair has really made 365 degree turn after I stopped combing, I don't get split ends anymore! It's amazing.

Bouncy Curls

Most of the year I am in cornrows and wigs but when I do wear it out, it's set on rollers and I just let the curls fall in to place. I may finger comb a little but that's it

imstush

FlowerHair said:
I might brush my hair in the front sometimes if I'm wearing a pony tail or a bun, but otherwise I detangle my hair with my fingers and that's all.

I think it's fairly easy if you have natural hair, because it's curly and frizzy anyway.

I only detangle once a week. The only "styling" I do in the morning is to put my hair into a bun or a pony tail. :)

My hair has really made 365 degree turn after I stopped combing, I don't get split ends anymore! It's amazing.

I agree...I wear my hair curly and now it's in a bun for the April Fools challenge. When I wear it straight, where I have to comb it is when I see the least amoun of growth.

sexyaqr

oobrittany said:
I've been wondering about this one for awhile...

Many people view combing as a NO-NO, but how do you style your hair without some kind of comb? Doesn't finger styling take forever?? And does finger styling really acheive the same results as a comb?

I understand where you are coming from. I think this is more easily achieved with longer hair. But it can be done on shorter hair also. I very rarely wear my hair dowm these days and if I do all that I have to do is pass my fingers through my hair and shake head a little. It gives a sexy kinda tousled look. I don't like hair that doesn't move on me. By an hour or two I get paranoid and grab my hair at the back of my head and put a clip in or bun it.You may have a couple of stray hairs but it still looks sexy:) NO comb.

The only time I use a comb is to de-tangle on wash days

Blackrican

I was wondering the SAME thing. My hair will look so weird if I don't comb or brush it, since I am transitioning.

Hmm...will work on the mentioned techniques though!!

CaramelMiSS

I usually only comb on wash days like all the other wonderful ladys in this forum. After I wash and comb I put my hair in a bun and use Elasta qp mango butter to lay down my hair and I out some oil over it. It usually lays flat very well and I am natural by the way. At night I keep my hair in a bun and put a scarf or a hair bonnet over it and in the morning it still looks the same.

Babygurl

I only comb while im in the shower to detangle, combing my air-dried hair is a big no-no. Ill also comb if my hair is flat-ironed but thats only to style and is also rare. I use my fingers usually.

Cichelle

I detangle every day with a seamless comb, under the shower spray and with conditioner. Outside of that, I do not use combs or brushes for styling. I mostly wear buns and I smooth with my hair with my fingers/hands. If I were to comb or brush my dry hair it would turn into a huge mess.

sarel

I only comb during a wash or if my hair is saturated w/ conditioner or leave-in.

But even still, I definitely over-comb my hair (even if it is wet hair). I know I should stop, but I can't stand tangles!

Arcadian

I don't comb my hair daily, as I try to not manipulate too much. Its not really a secret as Sylver has it in her folki:lol: During the week I generally bun my hair, I just make sure my hair is smooth and straight and going in the same direction. I put a scarf on at night and sleep on a satin pillow case (in case the scarf comes off)

If I rinse my hair after my workouts, and use a thin conditioner after. I just make sure I don't get my hair tangled up, I smooth in in the direction I want it to go in and leave it alone.

I wash my scalp once and very lightly during the week. I dilute the shampoo and just do what I need to do. I don't do a serious massage on my scalp (thats reserved for weekend washes) I just need to do it because I have an oily scalp and it helps get rid of the any buildup.

in the morning I just smooth any stray hairs put on some moisterizer, put it in a bun, no need to comb at all.

I've gotten pretty good and can do that for 5 days. On the weekend when I give my scalp a really good massage which I do have to detangle afterwards. I use a D4 to detangle with which my hair loves. I do have a k-cutter but only use it when I'm 10+weeks post relaxer. ( I don't seem to need it until then)

Believe me, the whole no combing thing wasn't easy for me. I started off with every other day until I got the hang of it, which took a while. When I got used to that, I just extended it longer. I've made my mistakes though, and had to learn to not handle my hair roughly.

Being able to do it successfully is just knowing how to handle your hair. Some can do it right off the bat very easily, some just can't.

I still get breakage, I probably always will. Its not as much or as often though. This is the biggest difference I saw with not messing with my hair so much.

If you wanted to switch styles all the time I can see the how not combing could be a problem.

-A

sareca

Babygurl said:
I only comb while im in the shower to detangle, combing my air-dried hair is a big no-no. Ill also comb if my hair is flat-ironed but thats only to style and is also rare. I use my fingers usually.

This is my method exactly.

LovelyLionessa

I never comb my airdried hair either. Overnight, I either put my hair up in a bun or bantus, take the buns out in the morning and lightly fingerstyle. I keep my edges smooth by using a toothbrush to keep my hairline in check.

skoloco

When I first saw that some people didn't comb I thought they were absolutely crazy---I thought 'no way could I not comb my hair'. And then I realized that combing my hair was largely out of habit. I was combing it when it really didn't need it.

So I've really cut a lot of it out. I comb on wash days, and let my hair dry about 70% before I comb it. This has worked wonders in keeping my hair thick. I generally use pin curls, and in the morning I just fluff with my fingers--works great. This has turned out to be such a great tip!

LynnieB

i hardly comb either and barely brush it, i'm transitioning with 6 or more inches of new growth.

comb and brush for detangling session after a wash. i mostly use a brush when i'm putting shea butter on and i'll use the bottom end of a rattail comb to make any parts.

i don't do either on dry hair (only wet or dampish airdried) and the exception is if i use a paddle boar bristle brush to shine it up (after a flatironning) or to separate sections while flatironning.

fingers-only here except on wash days.

styles are normally braid/twists and their out styles.

CurleeDST

I inadvertently stopped combing and did not really realize it. It is the BEST thing I have ever done. No extra hairs in the shower and once I wet and apply conditioner, my fingers glide through my hair. Now my hair is ONLY 4 inches so when it gets longer we shall see but so far so good. If that is the case I plan to not comb again.

Mahalialee4

My hair being fine stranded just loves to curl around itself. I could comb through and fifteen minutes later, some strands would be curling and twining around each other, so trying to keep it all separated is a waste of time. To get maximum growth and length, I comb on wash days very little as after washing in shower, very little tangling. So I can separate and finger comb and run the comb through a section gently a couple of times and that is it. I can braid it back up till next time. hope this makes helps. bonjour

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't really know how to not comb or brush. Up until a few weeks ago I combed and brushed twice a day. Now I do it once and i'm barely making it at that. I only do this on straightened hair though. There's no way I could do it on air-dried or natural hair.

angelita842002

I usually detangle in the shower with my fingers when I am cowashing which is about 2 or 3 times a week. Or when i shampoo once a week. When I get out and add my leave ins and oils I use my denman or a wide come to comb my hair. I then do a couple of twists and put into a bun. I dont comb till next wash but I do gotta brush my edges up a little in the mornign just a couple of swipes. This is much improvement from the helmet head hairstyles i use to wear. I swear i would comb and brush a million times surprised im not bald :perplexed :lachen: