Self relaxers, how does your smoothing process go?

Ladylynn

I think this may have been part of the reason for my underprocessed hair. So how do you smooth? On another sight, someone recommended combing through the new growth with a comb once the relaxer has had time to sit, like after you finish applying it to your head. I have always heard to not comb through, but they seem to get good results. What do you use, your finger, back of a comb, comb through, etc.?

LizLeila

Ladylynn said:
I think this may have been part of the reason for my underprocessed hair. So how do you smooth? On another sight, someone recommended combing through the new growth with a comb once the relaxer has had time to sit, like after you finish applying it to your head. I have always heard to not comb through, but they seem to get good results. What do you use, your finger, back of a comb, comb through, etc.?

I use my fingers first and then I use the back of a wide tooth comb. It has always worked pretty well for me.

cocoberry10

Ladylynn said:

I've heard you should never comb through your hair, and that it does more harm. Maybe you should let it sit on your hair for a little while, then smooth with fingers or the back of a comb. There is a great thread on self-relaxing tips.

cocoberry10 said:
I've heard you should never comb through your hair, and that it does more harm. Maybe you should let it sit on your hair for a little while, then smooth with fingers or the back of a comb. There is a great thread on self-relaxing tips.

I agree. Please don't do that. You'll be stretching your hair too much.
Smooth it with your fingers or the back of a comb.

trinidarkie1

I use my fingers. It works quite well. You can also let it sit for a few minutes to be sure.

I saw a hairdresser seriously overprocessing this lady's hair. My hairdresser and I were in a salon and we just sat there shaking our heads. It was so sad. She was combing that lady's relaxer through on already processed hair.