How do you know the difference...

pazyamor

Between slpit ends and just scraggly ends?

First of all, due to years of wrapping my hair in one direction, one side grows wonky and the whole thing grows uneven, and not I'm not sure if I have split ends or if I just have uneven scraggly ends. How do you guys tell the difference? And if they are just little scraggly ends, in your Personal opinion, is it worth it to cut them off? Also, if any of you guys have picture of what you consider split ends, that would really help my life. Thanks!:grin:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Good question! I've been trying to figure that out as well. I believe my hair grows in layers, so all the different lengths makes it look like I have a whole bunch of split ends cause they're frizzy, but when I look at strands individually they're not split at the end. Hope some of the end divas chime in :grin: to drop some knowledge.

fluffylocks

For split ends, if you actually pull the hair up to your eyes, you can see the strand splitting at the ends.

raggedy ends i believe just comes from hair growing uneven, overproccesing, too much heat ect. Which causes your ends to look thin, a lighter color, sparse ect.

I personally would cut the raggady ends because they would probally be something i dont want to hold onto and probally wont look very pleasing when you wear it out.

You should switch up the sides that you wrap your hair nightly or try "cross wrapping" which someone on this board made up i think, i cant remember her name, but i think under her siggy it says "heat meister"
But alot of peoples hair grows longer on one side, or thicker, or grows with layers that they cut to make even as they go along, or at the end when they have reached their goal.

JustKiya

This is a split end

If you can't actually see the ends of your hair, it's hard to tell what's a split, and what's just a rough end.

tbaby_8

I recommend to cut split and raggedy ends because usually the raggedy ends turn into split ends and split ends can travel up the hair shaft and cause more damage and shedding, in my opinion.

pazyamor

Okay ladies, I have scraggly ends...and a few split ones. But they're all getting cut! Thanks a million.