Anybody use hairpins instead of hairties to hold your bun in place?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I've always had somewhat of a problem when using a hairtie to hold the hair on my sock bun in place. No matter what size hairtie I used (a small one or large scrunchie-like one), my ends would come out all scraggly looking...even if I rubbed the hairties with oils! There's a pic of my post-bun scraggly ends in my fotki for June/July 06. I don't know if my ends are being damaged due to this because when they're smoothed out, they don't look split at all. Anyway, since I like wearing buns, I didn't want to give up on the style too quickly. I've since started using about 8 hairpins to secure my hair around the bun. The type of hairpins are similar to bobby pins, but are more "open" and allow for easy sliding and securing.

Does anyone else use hairpins instead of a hairtie/scrunchie?

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
I do a messy bun, not the sock bun or whatever variation. I just "roll" my hair around and then secure with bobby pins. They stay up a lot better than the ones with hairties and bobby pins are a lot cheaper than ouchless bands.

I have a lot of hair and I can use 3-4 pins and it stays. If I'm in a bind I can use 1.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Curlee_lurker said:
I do a messy bun, not the sock bun or whatever variation. I just "roll" my hair around and then secure with bobby pins. They stay up a lot better than the ones with hairties and bobby pins are a lot cheaper than ouchless bands.

I have a lot of hair and I can use 3-4 pins and it stays. If I'm in a bind I can use 1.

See, I wish my hair was long enough so that I don't have to use a sock. When I try to twist my hair into a bun, it comes out too little, lol. I just have to deal with the sock until my hair gains a few more inches.

Cichelle

I don't wear a sock bun these days. But for my buns and for otherwise securing my hair, I use Amish pins. I love those things!

Isis

I heard those Amish pins are really nice!
I use Good Hair Days pins for pinning up my braided bun or for any updos. They are made to be very safe for the hair.

Honi

There is no board.
I use the good hair days pins too. I love those things. I will never let a bobby pin touch my hair.

KittenLongPaw

I use Amish hair pins too, and they are really nice and sturdy and never damage my hair. Here is where I bought them, they are made by the Amish :) http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/headcoveringfile.html Scroll all the way down. They're called "Amish-Made Hair Pins" and you can get them in different sizes too.

I also use Good Days pins sometimes, but they have seams on them, so I have to file them off. The Amish pins are smooth and seamless.