How do you cut natural hair?

lnana04

I'm so tired if my hair. Everytime I feel my ends I'm feeling knots and I'm running into tangles. It's just so frustrating.

About 2 months ago I went to get it trimmed and she first cut an inch off, then told me I needed another inch cut. Afterwards when I got home there were still split ends and knots so I cut more off.

I'm just passed needing a trim, so do any of you ladies have a method of cutting your hair at home? I want something that will look nice when in it's natural state AND when I may decide to straighten it. I would go to a salon but I'd rather be mad at myself afterwards then wanting to fight someone else.

Cinnabuns

Hi there, :wave:

I haven't cut my hair since going natural. I did however trim a month or so ago for the first time since doing my big chop in June 2005. However with that being said, I might not be able to help you out on the second part, but I can maybe give a little advise on the first part if you'd like.

I get those (knots) nasty snarls too, but it's rather funny ever since I started conditioner washing with thick conditioners (ie, VO5 Strawberries and Cream, Blueberries and Cream, Peaches and Cream, etc.) and don't get thse problems anymore. Do you comb your hair out weekly? I comb my hair every Sunday, first with a large toothed comb then with a fine tooth comb (warning: I am very careful when doing this because fine toothed combs and wet hair may equal breakage if I'm not careful.) It takes about 1 1/2 hours to finish combing and this is the only way that I prevent those nasty snarls.

I hope this helped you out a little, even though it wasn't what you were asking for. :)

Last edited:

lnana04

Cinnabuns said:
Hi there, :wave:

I haven't cut my hair since going natural. I did however trim a month or so ago for the first time since doing my big chop in June 2005. However with that being said, I might not be able to help you out on the second part, but I can maybe give a little advise on the first part if you'd like.

I get those (knots) nasty snarls too, but it's rather funny ever since I started conditioner washing with thick conditioners (ie, VO5 Strawberries and Cream, Blueberries and Cream, Peaches and Cream, etc.) and don't get thse problems anymore. Do you comb your hair out weekly? I comb my hair every Sunday, first with a large toothed comb then with a fine tooth comb (warning: I am very careful when doing this because fine toothed combs and wet hair may equal breakage if I'm not careful.) It takes about 1 1/2 hours to finish combing and this is the only way that I prevent those nasty snarls.

I hope this helped you out a little, even though it wasn't what you were asking for. :)

Hello, and Thanks for the advice!

The vo5 conditioners aren't thick enough for my hair, but I've only tried the Strawberries and Cream so I'll check out the Blueberry one. I'll also try to comb with the fine tooth comb.

It usually takes me atleast an hour or two to detangle, so I'll be right on track in that area. What do you do after you finish combing?

Cinnabuns

Your welcome Girlie :)

Well after I finish combing I leave the conditioner on (with a plastic cap on) for a minimum of 1 hour to as long as possible. I later rinse i out and add a cream leave-in a good one is Giovanni Direct Leave-in.

Let me know how it turns out or you can feel free to pm me. ;)

Country gal

I had my natural hair trimmed twice by stylists. They just trimmed my hair in sections by pulling the hair through two fingers and trimming. The last trim really gave my hair a nice shape.

Super_Hero_Girl

I always trim my hair while it is twisted. I simply snip the ends of.

Still, I think you should consider how you are styling and maintaining your hair. Although tiny knots at the ends of natural hair is normal in my book, split ends are not. Maybe there is something about your routine that you should adjust to prevent split ends and frequent trims.

aquarian1252004

What are you doing to maintain the health of your ends??? I recommend moisturizing them daily with something thick and rich like unrefined shea butter or castor, olive, or coconut oil as this may help you from needing to trim so frequently and developing knots and tangles. I usually trim my hair in twists or box braids (not fresh ones though) but after about a week or so of rocking them so you can really see the scragally (sp?) ends. HTH :)